Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Orchestra, Inc. has announced a reservation system for Mailbox, its task-orientated email app which we reported on earlier and which has received many pre-launch accolades from tech sites.

welcome_to_mailbox.jpg
Mailbox, which will initially be compatible only with Gmail, aims to keep your inbox clean by allowing you to use swipe gestures to quickly move each email out of your inbox by deleting it, archiving it, assigning it a category or - perhaps most interestingly - setting it to pop back into your inbox later.

mailbox2.png
When you sign up to reserve your copy of the free app, Orchestra sends you a text message with your reservation number, together with a code. Once the app is available for download, you'll need to enter your code to complete the download.

Business Insider observes that Orchestra has an interesting link to Apple: one of the company's software engineers is Adam Cue, son of Apple Senior Vice President Eddy Cue, who is responsible for iCloud services - including email. Business Insider suggests that the relationship is likely to put Mailbox on Apple's radar as a potential acquisition, but it is unclear whether Apple has any actual interest in Orchestra's ideas for email management.

Article Link: Reservation System Announced for Upcoming 'Mailbox' Email App

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
"u reserve a copy" since when is an app limited on the appstore and "on high demand" lol

sounds like data fishing to me

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Not sure if it will replace Mail app for me but I'm quite curious. Signed up yesterday #

----------

"u reserve a copy" since when is an app limited on the appstore and "on high demand" lol

It is about being able to scale. With a reservation system they can scale properly since they can know exactly how many are using it.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

They don't ask for email, they ask for a telephone number and mine is prepaid so is there anything to loose??

-------

Does not work for where I am,got no SMS from them even though they say it's international.

Last edited:

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I have actually been waiting for this since it was announced on here. It looks interesting and perhaps a new way to pursue mail.

I did notice a few people were reluctant to welcome it because of Orchestra's servers or something to that affect. I have never dealt with any products from Orchestra, so I am not sure what to think.

trilaemasu

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Is anybody else getting the "Either your phone number is invalid or we're under heavy load" message? I've been trying for 15 minutes.

As I'm in Canada I'm using the + then the 11 digits of my phone number.
IE: +1 ### ### #### only with no spaces. Is it supposed to be in another format?

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Amazing! So why is this being mentioned on Mac Rumours? Oh so it can get more interest for Adam Cue maybe? Mmmm not a conspiracy theory surely? Daddy look what I have made could you get your company to buy it? Split it 50/50??

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Is anybody else getting the "Either your phone number is invalid or we're under heavy load" message? I've been trying for 15 minutes.

IE: +1 ### ### #### only with no spaces. Is it supposed to be in another format?

+62 XXXXXXX... is also not working, I only get a thanks but no SMS.

trilaemasu

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario Canada

So I've been trying this whole time on my desktop at work. Just tried on my phone and got an SMS instantly.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison

Doesnt work for me either right now. I get the same message. I have a US #.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
This is the most overhyped app I've ever seen. I do not think it looks very innovative or useful, all of your e-mail gets routed through their server, and it only works with gmail. Yet, every time Mailbox's developers sneeze the tech bloggers are all over it, tweeting rapturous praise.

And this "reservation system" seems very suspicious. Give them your phone number? I don't think so! This is a piece of software. Spin up more servers if you have too much demand. If they can't quickly respond to user load, their architecture was badly designed. The tech press should be slamming them for this, but again it's all fairy dust and rainbows.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
There's no way I am giving these guys my phone number. what kind of a horse and pony show is this for an app? why not just launch it normally in the app store like any other app?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Does anybody know yet if this works with general IMAP servers besides gmail?

If I can't browse my iCloud account alongside my Google Apps account then this app is pointless for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.