Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
After having three different ones from each model I can say the first one I had never scratched too easily but I have found the paint comes off the edges more easily with another.

Seems the quality issues remain handset to handset despite Apples claims.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
After having three different ones from each model I can say the first one I had never scratched too easily but I have found the paint comes off the edges more easily with another.

It's been well documented that this true. If you've got a black iPhone 5 and want to keep it from getting scratched/scuffed then you need a case. A little less so with the white model, but it seems they get pretty banged up too after a month or two. Apple has always prioritized design over durability.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

the chamfered edges are defitnetly more prone to scratching but the anodized coating is pretty tough itself, i took my key and tried to scratch the back of my iPhone 5 and it didnt affect my anodized coating AT ALL

----------

It's been well documented that this true. If you've got a black iPhone 5 and want to keep it from getting scratched/scuffed then you need a case. A little less so with the white model, but it seems they get pretty banged up too after a month or two. Apple has always prioritized design over durability.

wrong, if your careful with your phone over months the coating will actually hold up quite well, but if your putting your bare phone in your pocket where grit and sand are, well theres no phone out there that is scratch resistant to sand and grit so. My i5 is alot tougher and more durable then my old GS3, my old gs3's back had so many hairline scratches on it even though i had a case and i cleaned my phone and case every so often.

I thank god we dont have creaky soft plastic on our smartphones lol =]

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
wrong, if your careful with your phone over months the coating will actually hold up quite well, but if your putting your bare phone in your pocket where grit and sand are, well theres no phone out there that is scratch resistant to sand and grit so. My i5 is alot tougher and more durable then my old GS3, my old gs3's back had so many hairline scratches on it even though i had a case and i cleaned my phone and case every so often.

I thank god we dont have creaky soft plastic on our smartphones lol =]

There are not only countless threads on these forums and Apple's own forums about this issue, I've seen it personally myself with those who have had a black uncased iPhone 5 for a few months. Despite careful handling, the black coating comes off around the edges pretty easily. Most look like they could be appraised on Antiques Roadshow after a few months. Even my friend who has a case noticed that the coating was coming off--apparently due to the case rubbing up against the phone.

I still like the design and I'm glad its not plastic either, but its clearly more delicate than the average smartphone.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Yup, my white phone has several scratches on the edge, but they are far less visible than the ones that were on my black phone (now sold). It is kept in a case at all times but it still gets rubbed off.

The alloy is too soft imo.

Still love the design to bits though.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

I had mine in a case since the day I bought mine, the first one had some minor scuffs paint missing rubbed off, however my 3 week old replacement is horrible, paint is off all over the phone, and I only take it out once a week to clean the case and the phone, really a bad design.

JLemm

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
I still don't know why people complain about this. It's like buying a new car and taking it back because YOU didn't take care of it and it got scratched.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I have a skin on mine which allows me to retain the design asthetics and keep it scratch free.

My coworker has his absolutely nude and has nary a scratch. I don't know how he takes care of it though (obviously pretty well). If it's anything like his OG droid, it is probably under the tire of a truck right now.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I still don't know why people complain about this. It's like buying a new car and taking it back because YOU didn't take care of it and it got scratched.

Have you been reading this thread and the countless other threads on this matter? People *are* treating their phones carefully and are still experiencing unusual wear in a very short period of time. So, you are completely off base in your assessment here.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
What quality issues? I haven't heard of ANY cases where a scratch/scuff due to the carelessness of the owner (sorry but that's what it is) caused the phone to not function 100% as advertised.

It's ironic that when the Android vs. iPhone debate occured prior to the 5 no one ever brought up how durable the iPhone 4 was as a major selling point (perhaps it had to do with dropping two slabs of glass, who knows?). Now, all of a sudden it's all that matters. People scream it's a "Gate" and that it's ruining resale value...

Here's a hint: You won't be able to keep ANY phone in "mint" condition if you use it for a year or so without a case. If resale value really keeps you up at night, you are being absolutely (insert insult here) if you don't use a case. I don't believe the people who say they have used a phone for a year without one and it has remained perfect.

Not to mention that thus far, the impact on resale value for a "nice" 4S vs. a "mint" 4S has been (in most cases) less than the cost of an Otterbox Defender ($50). Resale value is NOT a valid argument. It's an excuse the hyper-anal, OCD folks use to try an justify their behavior.

There is no "quality issue". If you take care of your phone it will remain perfectly usuable and quite nice to look at. Flawless? Nope, but you're lying to yourself if you think ANYTHING stays that way after normal use (especially a device that goes everywhere, including bathrooms, with most people).

Enjoy your smartPHONE... that's all it is...

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
There are not only countless threads on these forums and Apple's own forums about this issue, I've seen it personally myself with those who have had a black uncased iPhone 5 for a few months. Despite careful handling, the black coating comes off around the edges pretty easily. Most look like they could be appraised on Antiques Roadshow after a few months. Even my friend who has a case noticed that the coating was coming off--apparently due to the case rubbing up against the phone.

I still like the design and I'm glad its not plastic either, but its clearly more delicate than the average smartphone.

Ok the chamferd edges are defitnetly alot easier to scratch then the anodized coating. I see that part, but i think the actual anodized parts are alot more scratch resistant...i wouldnt doubt that some people have gotten defective coatings on their phone. But that % is low, you just hear it more on the internet on forums like these.

Have you seen the drop tests with the i5? It can take a beating before it gives out its light and durable. The first gen iPhone and the iPhone 5 are without a doubt the most durable and toughest phones Apple made. The 3G and the 3GS would crack (near the corners and vibration switch) iPhone 4 & 4S had glass on both sides even though i loved the 4 and 4s design i always had a fear of just the back or front shattering.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Ok the chamferd edges are defitnetly alot easier to scratch then the anodized coating. I see that part, but i think the actual anodized parts are alot more scratch resistant...i wouldnt doubt that some people have gotten defective coatings on their phone. But that % is low, you just hear it more on the internet on forums like these.

Have you seen the drop tests with the i5? It can take a beating before it gives out its light and durable. The first gen iPhone and the iPhone 5 are without a doubt the most durable and toughest phones Apple made. The 3G and the 3GS would crack (near the corners and vibration switch) iPhone 4 & 4S had glass on both sides even though i loved the 4 and 4s design i always had a fear of just the back or front shattering.

I agree that when you take cosmetic appearance out of consideration, that the iPhone 5 seems to be much more durable than other handsets.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I've been using my replacement black 5 since a few weeks after release without a case and it looks great. No silver showing through on the edges like the first one I had. I'm starting to notice a trend with people griping about wear on the chamfered edges when they take their cases off. Seems they hold up better naked as long as you're not dropping them.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I agree that when you take cosmetic appearance out of consideration, that the iPhone 5 seems to be much more durable than other handsets.

Idk all i know is that i had a GS3 with a case on it and even though i cleaned my phone and case every so often, there was hairline scratches everywhere on the backside, not the case with my i5, i have a thinner case that offers less protection then my old gs3 case so you would think that sand and grit can get in even easier into the case and scratch the phone. But the back is flawless on my i5 as for the rest of the phone....so in my mind i think the i5 is all around more scratch resistant and durable then the GS3

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
You are stupid. My BRAND NEW iphone has been in a case the entire time, save the two minutes I've needed to put it in a case or in a new one. It's also never been used without a screen protector.

Both the screen and phone edge are scratched. The case and screen surface are extremely delicate. The edge has scratches that only appeared on my flipphone after 5 foot drops onto concrete.

The iphone's edge near the lightning port has scratches. After many years of use, my flipphone doesn't have a single scratch surrounding the mini usb port. I've used that port hundreds if not a thousand times without a single cosmetic issue.

I use the lightning port a couple of times, and now that area is scratched.

The only thing that's obvious here is your apple fangirl syndrome which leads you to call people names when they threaten your god and idol, that stupid apple, and it's servant, tim cook.

Stop bending over and taking it up the butt for apple. :)

What quality issues?

Here's a hint: You won't be able to keep ANY phone in "mint" condition if you use it for a year or so without a case. If resale value really keeps you up at night, you are being absolutely (insert insult here) if you don't use a case. I don't believe the people who say they have used a phone for a year without one and it has remained perfect.

There is no "quality issue". If you take care of your phone it will remain perfectly usuable and quite nice to look at. Flawless? Nope, but you're lying to yourself if you think ANYTHING stays that way after normal use (especially a device that goes everywhere, including bathrooms, with most people).

Enjoy your smartPHONE... that's all it is...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.