Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LilyWest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Israel
I have to admit, I'm suffering from some loyalty issues, feel like i'm cheating on Android :( But... I've been curious and I feel change might be good for me ;).

Did anyone actually made the hard decision after many years with the green robot? Was it hard to get used to? Where there any thoughts to go back?

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I have to admit, I'm suffering from some loyalty issues, feel like i'm cheating on Android :(

Get that looked into, it's a OS, not a woman. The robot you just left has millions of other "boyfriends" to cheer itself up with :rolleyes:

I've been exploring both worlds, pretty much ever since release. Got the first iphone, then upgraded to the 3s. Had android phones for years, notably Sony's very first Xperia phone to hit markets over here (back when they were SonyEricsson), then got an HTC Sensation. In hindsight, I don't know why I turned my back on iOS in order to suffer the abortion that was early (and yes, even later) Gingerbread. ICS was better, at least. Never experienced Jelly Bean, because I'm back with iOS, but I heard they made it somewhat simpler, and it's actually a very good OS. (Heard, not experienced.)

Seeing as devs give iOS the priority, and iOS has a lot more quality applications, and gets the big ones earlier, and also more from top studios (only Temple Run 1 & 2 out from Imagni on Android, for example, iOS also got TR2 quite a bit earlier, etc), I'm happy with iOS. I've found it to be the smoother and more reliable solution, at least for the moment, and even the Samsung diehard at work had a go at my iPhone when he discovered I was playing TR2, and it wasn't available on Android yet.

Anyhow. My Android memories? Fairly good, despite GB, liked having dual springboards and went nuts customizing, before I found out that it was more a honeymoon play-about than an actual feature I value having in a phone. (A few months into owning a phone I just want it to run my applications fast and reliably, and generally tend to ignore the customization options).
However, if the apps you want are already available for Android, I don't understand why you wouldn't just get yourself a Jelly Bean phone and bypass the underwhelming iOS6 (ApplesWindowsVista) period, come back in a year, or something.

App ecosystem = Apple's still the winner, by quite a margin.
Customization = Android
Overall-experience = I'd tend towards Apple, but it's probably become a subjective evaluation, at least if you're rocking a flagship, and especially since project butter.

It's kind of funny that an Android guy (or girl?) would be switching to iOS, just when Android is actually starting to be on-par, but I digress. Apple make awesome hardware, and I think you'll find the experience rewarding. It pays to try both worlds out, anyway. In a few years time, settle on the option you're the most comfortable with, which may, in your case, be Android.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
However, if the apps you want are already available for Android, I don't understand why you wouldn't just get yourself a Jelly Bean phone and bypass the underwhelming iOS6 (ApplesWindowsVista) period, come back in a year, or something.

As you can see from my signature, I've got both platforms (and have for some time). I completely agree with what Insulin Junkie is saying here. If you're just looking for a different OS experience but are worried about moving platforms completely, grab a flagship Android phone with Jellybean (S3/Nexus 4/One X+/LG Optimus G/etc.) and stick with Android for another year or so. iOS 6 is just a rehashing of iOS 5 (nothing worth moving platforms completely for) and while the iPhone 5 is very, very nice...it's not worth the premium you're going to pay just to "try it out". However, if you are patient, you can easily find flagship Android phones for $350-$400. While not cheap, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than dropping $500-$700 on a new/used iPhone 5.

I'd say hang out with Android for another year, see what Apple/Google/Microsoft/RIM bring out and then make a decision.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I've got the original HTC EVO (Sprint). I considered the iPhone 5, but when I tried it in the store, I felt as if I'd gone back to my previous phone: the Touch Pro. Too small for my taste. The vulnerability to scratches is another concern.

Plus, the more I thought about it, the more I decided that getting a new phone -- iPhone or not -- wasn't worth it. I don't need NFC, Siri, Google Now or all of the other features found on newer phones. I use my phone primarily for email, SMS, navigation and a half-dozen or so apps, and the EVO is just fine for all of those. Unless it breaks, I'll probably use it for another two years.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
I completely forgot that there is something worse that Android and it's called HTC sense UI.. lol Ill never buy an HTC phone ever again in my life...

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I completely forgot that there is something worse that Android and it's called HTC sense UI.. lol Ill never buy an HTC phone ever again in my life...

It's a matter of opinion, granted, but Sense 4 isn't bad. It's actually very polished and fast with lots of nice animations. Of course, the real problem with HTC phones is that they're so locked down. Sure, you can "officially" unlock the bootloader through HTC, but once you do that, you can't lock it back (like you can on a Nexus phone). Plus, for those of us that like to tinker, the development, because of the bootloader issues and no source so you can change the kernel, is awful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.