Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stormborne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
I'm in the market for a new Mini, and need some advice on CPU choice. I'll be upgrading to 16mb RAM after purchase from a 3rd party vendor. I'll be doing mostly web browsing, etc, with some audio recording. Is it worth the extra cash for the i7? 2.3GHz or 2.6GHz? I am slightly concerned about fan noise (especially while recording)

Thanks!

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
the quad 2.3 sells as a refurbished for 679 here is the link

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD388LL/A/refurbished-mac-mini-23ghz-quad-core-intel-core-i7

IF you find one in stock it would be good choice. the base mini needs a better hdd or ssd. apple only sells it with the slower 5400rpm 500 gb size. so if you get the base it is diy or use and external ssd like this one

http://www.macmall.com/p/LaCie-Port...kw={keyword}&gclid=CJr1_Pql-7QCFQSf4AodAgMAFQ

btw the 256gb ssd in the mid mini is 300 if you don't do diy and apple sells the 256gb to you.

this is 349 has cables and the internal 1tb is still in the 2.3 mini. in all cases buy after market ram at amazon or newegg , buy at least 8gb mountain lion likes 5 to 6gb of ram as the minimum.

Last edited:

stormborne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
So you'd recommend the i7 over the i5? Is that based just on HDD performance? Will I actually notice the difference? Does the i7 run hotter (more fan noise)?

Thanks.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
So you'd recommend the i7 over the i5? Is that based just on HDD performance? Will I actually notice the difference? Does the i7 run hotter (more fan noise)?

Thanks.

Do you do any audio encoding once you have made your audio recordings? If so, the i7 quad core might be kind of nice. If all you do is store the recordings, then it probably won't matter either way. Theoretically the 2.5ghz dual core has a TDP of 35w compared to 45W of the quad cores, so it should be the coolest of all three.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
You won't recognize the difference between a Core i5 and an i7 in almost all situations. Today's CPUs are fast enough for everything except permanent video encoding etc.

So unless you're using your Mini in a server farm to convert music or audio to another digital format the i7 won't make any difference.

Save the money and invest it in an SSD or a better display.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Get the processor. You can't swap that out where as you can swap a SSD into it later and they will come down in price and get larger as well.

I got the i7 2.6 GHz quad core version so it will last me awhile. Like I said you can swap ram and hdd but can't swap the processor.

Just my opinion though. Keep in mind that the i5 may be good for your needs now but maybe not in a year or two. Just depends on if you want to rebut a new mini/computer sooner than later. The quad core 2.6 flys. I love it so far.

Non-Euclidean

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX
You won't recognize the difference between a Core i5 and an i7 in almost all situations. Today's CPUs are fast enough for everything except permanent video encoding etc.

So unless you're using your Mini in a server farm to convert music or audio to another digital format the i7 won't make any difference.

Save the money and invest it in an SSD or a better display.

Bingo. IF you know you arent going to do anything serious (just browsing and audio recording) then the bottom of the line dual-core will be more than enough for you, especially with more RAM. In fact, its arguable that you need the RAM upgrade at all. So you can go cheap, and be happy with your setup.

My machine is a mid-11 2.5G 2core with the 500G drive, upgraded to 8G RAM. Its fine for me ripping/converting video which is a lot more than you are saying you need. Yes, you are limiting yourself somewhat from utilizing it as a workhorse later without a better CPU.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Get one on Ebay. Do a search for 2012 or 2011 (not much difference).

They sell new condition for as low as $400, but you will wait for that price. If you wait just a few days you can get a 2.3 i5 for about $450 to $500

the 2.3's are 2011, the 2.5's are 2012. The 2.3's came with 2GB (some of them) so that's a concern.

Also search with the part numbers as the listing designations will vary according to personal preference (obviously).

I have bought a few of these; very easy. They are relatively inexpensive, beautiful machines, that are fun to upgrade, and they are also lookers :D

note: buying and selling Apple stuff on Ebay is interesting. The stuff is so sought after, that it holds value very, very, well. It also sells quickly. THey have become true commodities, making the whole thing a rewarding, and profitable market on Ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.