Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppedulla75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
So its time to retire my work- horse 2009 Imac.
It's a 2.4 Ghz, 24 inch screen, with 4 gigs of RAM and 300 gig HD.

It works fine, the DVD drive is fine ... no real qualms except for some yellow streaking on the screen. I think it would find a good home as a student computer, light Photoshop, iLife, etc ...

I'm upgrading because I'm doing a lot more After FX work and need some extra horsepower...

I'd like to sell it to help fund a new Imac .... what is it worth?

Again everything is working fine, except for the yellowish streak on the screen (that over the years has driven a bit nuts). But ultimately its really been fine.

I've seen similar system from $500 - $900.... just trying to figure out what is fair to ask?

Any help would be appreciated ....

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA

It works fine, the DVD drive is fine ... no real qualms except for some yellow streaking on the screen. I think it would find a good home as a student computer, light Photoshop, iLife, etc ...

I'm upgrading because I'm doing a lot more After FX work and need some extra horsepower...

Again everything is working fine, except for the yellowish streak on the screen (that over the years has driven a bit nuts). But ultimately its really been fine.

I've seen similar system from $500 - $900.... just trying to figure out what is fair to ask?

I just paid $579 for my 2008 24 inch from a dealer in Atlanta, GA. 2.8 GHz and 500 HD, I have seen them go for 750 to $1000

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

If the yellow screen is enough to almost drive you a bit nuts, then expecting or hoping for anything above $600 is unreasonable. If the yellowish streak wasn't there, and the fact that I own a 2009 20" iMac, I would say that I would pay no more than $750 for it(and only that if it would include the original box/packaging/media).

So I would advise you to advertise it for $550.

jmck

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002

Ugh, sorry to hear about the yellow streak, I didn’t realize the old 24”s were affected by that as well. I have a first gen 27” that has it too… somewhat subtle, unless you have a solid color desktop pattern :mad:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
S
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Sorry.....

to make a fuss, but it is a 2.4, 20 inch (2008), a 2.8 24 inch (2008), 3.06 24 inch (2008) or 2.66, 2.93 or 3.06, 24 inch (early 2009).:confused:

Please clarify for help you to get a better estimate.....

:):apple:

ppedulla75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
It's a Mac 7,1

My bad.... Just looked it up on Everymac.com. It's actually 2007. Man time flew?
So with that knowledge....thoughts?

The yellow streak isn't too bad. It's about a finger size in the top left corner.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Seems to me.....

a good asking price would be between $350-500, and please dont take offense, with reserve. The yellow issue can discourage some potential buyers, and maybe you have to consider taking a bit off the price when dealing with serious buyers.

If you have the original packaging, discs and accesories that can sweeten the deal, IMHO.

:):apple:

ppedulla75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Thanks all

Seems reasonable. I wasn't thinking anything over $500.
I may just keep it and use it as file server...but seems like overkill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.