Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I find that at least about once a week I need to do a reset (power and home button to restart) on my iPhone 5 (on Verizon) because I've lost internet connection.

Does anyone else experience this?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I find that at least about once a week I need to do a reset (power and home button to restart) on my iPhone 5 (on Verizon) because I've lost internet connection.

Does anyone else experience this?

Yes.

And because notifications and keyboard clicks have stopped working.

And because Messages app is corrupt and blown up, that even a task end doesn't fix.

And because keyboard shortcuts have stopped working.

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. iOS6 is an unstable POS, don't think related to anything specific in iPhone 5. Gone the way of Windows.

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Yes.

And because Messages app is corrupt and blown up, that even a task end doesn't fix.

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. iOS6 is an unstable POS, don't think related to anything specific in iPhone 5. Gone the way of Windows.

Glad it isn't just me. And I am on my way to dumping my iPhone as well which I hate to say because up to this point it's been such a great phone (3g, 3gs, 4, 4s).

I will try toggling airplane mode.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Glad it isn't just me. And I am on my way to dumping my iPhone as well which I hate to say because up to this point it's been such a great phone (3g, 3gs, 4, 4s).

I will try toggling airplane mode.

iOS6 is a bag of wank. Everyone I know with it has issues that still haven't been fixed since day one.

I will be on Android by summer if iOS7 is the same boring pile of crap.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I restart my phone regularly. I don't experience any of the issues others are mentioning. My wife has a hand-me-down iPhone 4 that is over 2 years old and it does have some lag and some "quirks". I think it's stable 95% of the time though and I know it only gets rebooted when I reboot it :D

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I don't understand the iOS 6 disapproval. On my 4S it's great and everything is quick and stable. Even on my crappy 2mb 3G, mobile pages load in literally a second. The only thing that's jerky is the top charts section in the app store app. Makes me wonder why it sucks for others.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I haven't rebooted my iPhone 5 (out of need, anyway) since I purchased it.

Instead of poo-pooing the iPhone and iOS why not visit the Apple Store?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Never rebooted my iPhone 5. It works great. Why should I?

This thread is like walking into the Emergency room and looking for a healthy person. Sick phones only.... :cool:

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I haven't rebooted my iPhone 5 (out of need, anyway) since I purchased it.

Instead of poo-pooing the iPhone and iOS why not visit the Apple Store?

I have, but it isn't an issue I've bee able to replicate on demand.

On top of that wifi is flaky, but why bother even mentioning that at this point; it seems rhetorical.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Yes.

I haven't had a single reboot or freeze since iOS 6 came out. I'm not sure what you would consider stable. I admit that I do occasionally have to reboot to reconnect to cellular, but it's rare and was the case with prior versions of iOS. I consider it a pretty minor issue personally and not unique to iOS.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
i had a few issues and i am on my 3rd iphone 5.....and has been great so far no issues at all...but let me ask you this dont you restart your computer sometimes? i mean just to refresh it or when you have an issue? you need to remember that these are not phone they are mini computers and still act as such.. you need to reboot every once in a while. i do not see an issue in this.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I reset my iPhone once every 2 weeks (power off leave off for about 15seconds and power on again) regardless if it acts up or not, Much like people need sleep, cars need to be turned off when not in use etc etc etc phones need a power cycle as well as they get more and more advanced in offering more and more features, they require to be cycled. I cycle my Macbook Air once a month and it works great, I dont cycle it because it becomes slow or anything just for piece of mind that all ram, cache etc is cleared.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I reboot pretty often. I feel like it makes the phone run better. Its not a big deal, its just like a computer, resetting it once a week isnt going to kill you.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I only reboot my computers and my iPhone for software updates or if there's a problem. Rebooting a modern computer just for the sake of it doesn't make a damn difference. It's not 1995 anymore guys.

Must be some Windows leftover or something.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I haven't rebooted any of my iDevices. Zero problems. Maybe your iPhones are defective. That happens. Apple doesn't churn out 100% yield rates. The only times I've lost internet connection is when I'm outside of my router's range or outside of cell tower range. And neither times do I blame my phone.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I only reboot my computers and my iPhone for software updates or if there's a problem. Rebooting a modern computer just for the sake of it doesn't make a damn difference. It's not 1995 anymore guys.

Win7... sure
iOS 3/4/5, right with ya.

iOS6... I wouldn't say 1995, more like 1999 with Windows 98.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
I also been having problems with loosing data connection and won't work unless I do a reset. And sometimes it will stay stuck on edge when I know I am in a 4g area. I'm going to try a new SIM card to see if that fixes it.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

I never reboot any of my current devices, phones or PC's, unless there are problems or more likely, OS updates. I just put my PC in sleep mode. Running Win7. My wife has an iPhone 4S and I have an SGS3. We never do regular reboots. Just only if there seems to be an issue or if there is an OS update. On my SGS3, I noticed a few times it lost the data connection and I rebooted it to get it back. The last couple of times I just left it and the connection came back on its own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.