Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExciteWalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
@andremoraes

@andremoraes, they probably say that because your warranty has run out. Did you recently run an OS upgrade?

andremoraes

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
@andremoraes, they probably say that because your warranty has run out. Did you recently run an OS upgrade?
Yes, to 10.8 but from Lion to Mountain Lion, perhaps it has been a couple months :eek:

But the PIN that it's asking is 6 digits not 4

Last edited:

Djipsy5

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
This is shameful from Apple !

Hi, I bought my MacBook Pro 2011 with OS X Snow Leopard on it ! Then I wanted to update to OS X Mountain Lion, because I wanted to have all the new features. And I successfully upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion. After that, I took my iPhone and tried to lock my MacBook using iCloud. But the Mac didn't lock !
Three months after, I was looking arround the iCloud settings and I found that the 'Find My Mac" option was disabled, so I enabled it and automatically the Mac rebooted, asking me a firmware PIN code ! So my previous attempt to lock the mac just came to work, however I forgot the PIN I used there is 3 months ago. I live in Senegal (Africa), and there is no Apple Store at all. There is now 4months since my Mac is locked ! After calling Apple, they told me that I had to bring them the mac. No Angency is enough secured to send my Mac. So the unique solution is to travel to the US, just for a 4 PIN code. I'm so disappointed that I think I am going to sell it and buy a PC ! It's SHAMEFUL for Apple to make their customers take the plane from Senegal to US, just for unlocking their MAC !

jimjones88

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Hello, i was successfully able unlock my Mac. It seems as thou the Ram stick Pull hand the Harddrive pin search are unsuccessful with my mac. Mine is late 20011 MacBook bro and nither of these methods would work. Apparently brute force method does not work. WELL IN MY CASE IT DOES!

i suggest those that hav said it does not work be very careful with the method has it is very easy to skip out numbers when typing them in repetitively. the method i use was trying 50 number, writing it down then takin a 1-2 minute break then continuing. If u hav and doubt u missed out a number, GO BACK! thats what i did, i got to 2790 n felt i missed out a number. i started at 2700 again n found the pin was actually 2768.

TIP. type in 5 number then go to change language to English. do this in multiples of 5 as it helps u to keep track of ur numbers.

Good Luck

----------

by the way my pin was a 4 digit lock

music2dance2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
if you want i can upload a copy for you to look at.. so today iam gonna try somethig else iam gonna install ML 10.8 onto a new hard drive and just gonna swap the efi partition and the recovery Hd partition from the original ssd and see if they boot..lol .. i hope it works its a goose chase though..i wish if u or excite could clarify my logic? since the system boots to a question mark folder its obviously looking for valid boot partition.. may be if we could find a way to crack the efi partition or swap the disk password file with a known password file.. lets see

I think excite would have more knowledge than me on this one. I learnt most from this thread alone. Did you get it working?

I noticed the numbers i used must have been from the previous owner and not the original owner. The previous person must using their icloud to try and sync it. Hence why I doubt the numbers I have will have ever worked. That said I got it working via the apple store anyway

Rockford18

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
:d

Attachments

• image-1.jpeg
    image-1.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 5,774

Johmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
Macbook air 2011 a1370

I tried this method but i couldn't mount the ssd drive to any of windows or mac ?? Any help please .

Ionelungurean

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Hi every one!!!a while ago i bought a macbook air convinced that it was a good deal and trustfull owner!!it worked a few days until it restarted itself and asked for the 4 pin lock!!i was shocked!!so i started to read forums and documented on this situation..i bought an adapter to conect the macbook air sss to normal sata!!there was no icloud folder and i couldn't find any files XXXXXXX.lock
I have done about everything to find the password!!but without hope!!
There was an option-on ebay there is a guy selling unlock..well he claims he can unlock it but you must send macbook or logi board to USA..
So i started as i seen here brute force..
From 0000 to 9999...
And it took only about 2000 conb to find the code...deleted the recovery partition and i was wondering if i must replace the wii card too..any one knows how this remote lock works...i found on google that it works by mac adress of computer(wifi card)so if i replace that card to a new one it will be safe for future possible locks!!!thank you for your info....

kinezu

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Romania
Hi every one!!!a while ago i bought a macbook air convinced that it was a good deal and trustfull owner!!it worked a few days until it restarted itself and asked for the 4 pin lock!!i was shocked!!so i started to read forums and documented on this situation..i bought an adapter to conect the macbook air sss to normal sata!!there was no icloud folder and i couldn't find any files XXXXXXX.lock
I have done about everything to find the password!!but without hope!!
There was an option-on ebay there is a guy selling unlock..well he claims he can unlock it but you must send macbook or logi board to USA..
So i started as i seen here brute force..
From 0000 to 9999...
And it took only about 2000 conb to find the code...deleted the recovery partition and i was wondering if i must replace the wii card too..any one knows how this remote lock works...i found on google that it works by mac adress of computer(wifi card)so if i replace that card to a new one it will be safe for future possible locks!!!thank you for your info....

Ionel, ai incercat sa reinstalezi tot sistemul de la zero? Tot iti face problema asta si dupa ce ai bagat codul din patru cifre?

ExciteWalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
@Ionelungurean,
In my situation, we just re-installed the OS and associated another iCloud account with the Macbook. Where did you read about it being with the Mac address? Btw, those are easy to spoof.

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
Panicking now incase I have a PIN written down somewhere that I've forgotten about :confused: At which point do you set up the original PIN? Is it an option in iCloud somewhere or is it set when you actually lock a device?

ExciteWalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
@neilmacd, if it is a 4 pin code, then it came from an iPhone initiated lock down. I don't think it keeps it saved in the device that initiated it for reference.

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
@neilmacd, if it is a 4 pin code, then it came from an iPhone initiated lock down. I don't think it keeps it saved in the device that initiated it for reference.

So the PIN is chosen at the time you lock the device? Example, I want to lock my stolen MacBook, I'd select 'lock' then I'd choose a PIN. Then enter the PIN on the locked device.

Didn't want to actually attemp to lock my mac incase I screw it up but just wanted to know how it worked. Thanks! :D

ExciteWalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
@neilmacd, as I understand, it goes like this:
1. Choose "Lock" on the iPhone.
2. Enter PIN on the iPhone.
3. Mac gets locked remotely. No need to touch the Mac. Locked.
4. Retrieve Mac, enter the PIN on the Mac that was selected on the iPhone.
5. Mac gets unlocked. :apple:

Ionelungurean

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Ionel, ai incercat sa reinstalezi tot sistemul de la zero? Tot iti face problema asta si dupa ce ai bagat codul din patru cifre?
Salut!!pai am reinstalat totul de la zero inclusiv am sters partitia de recovery ca din cate am inteles acolo se instaleaza icloud si chestia cu remote lock!!!acum merge bine dar voiam sa ma protejez pt viitor..adica voiam sa aflu daca am sters partitia de recovery si am facut o reinstalare complet noua se mai poate face remote lock de pe contul de icloud unde acest macbook a fost inregistrat?!!mersi

----------

@Ionelungurean,
In my situation, we just re-installed the OS and associated another iCloud account with the Macbook. Where did you read about it being with the Mac address? Btw, those are easy to spoof.
I font remember exacly where i rwad about the mac adress but found that on google somewhere!!!i still couldn't find any clear info about how this remote lock works!!!
Is it thru icloud that sits in recovery partition or is it thru mac adress
The thing is like that!!!
After i bought the macbook air i actually reinstalled the OSX but did not delete the recovery partition and also on google i found that icloud actually sits inside the recovery partition so the remote lock works even if you reinstall the osx again

ExciteWalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
@Ionelungurean, would be nice if someone could confirm this as I don't have a Mac right now.

sweetboyke

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
pls help!

@ExciteWalk My Macbook was blocked after I logged into icloud
what do you recommend me to do?
I already tried with xxxxxxxxx.lock but it never worked for me
pls let me know how to fix this!

lockscreen.jpg

4368739975_5be85cb46f.jpg

Last edited:

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I have read the entire thread and there had to be 5 or so people who found the lock file and doing what the original poster posted it did not work. so the original post is bs or he got very lucky because it has been posted many times that it does not work. There wasnt a single user that posted that this method has worked other then the original poster.

ExciteWalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
@Acorn, thanks for reading it.
I agree, it is quite unfortunate that my process hasn't worked for many who tried. However, Nobann said he got it unlocked using a combo of the numbers from the .lock file, but he hasn't been back here since :(
But hey, if you're willing to do some exploration on your Mac, feel free do so and let us know if you find an alternate lock file or something else that could get us closer to cracking this :apple: lock.

@sweetboyke, if you feel comfortable hacking/tweaking with computers, then feel free to find the lock files might work for you and others.

tsoneal26

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
I've mounted drive on my other mac there is no file or folder iCloud.

Users folder,

Application Support,

then no iCloud i searched ever folder on that drive.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Apparently if you use the utility to create a firmware lock then later it gets stolen and you lock it using icloud even if you recover it and have the unlock and firmware password you have to take it to apple.

from apples icloud lock page - if you set an EFI firmware password on your Mac before it was lost, then remotely lock it and later find it, you may need to take it to an authorized repair center to unlock it.

so apparently a EFI firmware lock and a icloud lock is bad mojo together.

sweetboyke

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
@ExciteWalk as I said befor I got the lock file it's 139290899.lock
I tried all 6 comibination without any result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.