Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docjay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
The viewsonic monitor is very blurry, even after calibrating. I think getting a 13" MBA + Thunderbolt may be better, indeed. Do you think it'll act slow when I have about 15 documents open on MS Office and about 20 tabs on Google Chrome? I got the magic trackpad for the office and it is great and I'd probably also get the keyboard.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
The viewsonic monitor is very blurry, even after calibrating. I think getting a 13" MBA + Thunderbolt may be better, indeed. Do you think it'll act slow when I have about 15 documents open on MS Office and about 20 tabs on Google Chrome? I got the magic trackpad for the office and it is great and I'd probably also get the keyboard.

That's weird. Are you sure it's running the correct resolution? It will look blurry if you have mirrored displays. I have an old 1920x1200 24" Dell at home and a slightly less old 1920x1200 24" HP at work. No issues.

Anyway, the 13" MBA is a great machine. Make sure to get 8 GB RAM and I don't think you'll have any problems. In fact I doubt you'll have any problems at 4 GB but since the RAM is soldered on you should probably max it out.

I don't have any experience with Apple displays. Other monitors are much cheaper with similar or better specs so I have never considered them.

docjay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Given how much time I spend actually using my laptops in clamshell mode, I changed the rMBP for a MBA and put that money towards a 27" display. The added value is that I can keep my ethernet cable at work plugged into my display (as well as any usb drives) and just plug two cords into my MBA and I'm ready to work, including charging. I may get a Belkin stand and use the MBA as an extra screen at work. Loving the MBA so far and although the retina is remarkable, it didn't make sense for me. I absolutely love the service Apple gives its customers. From the class my wife and I attended, to the return process of the MBP, to the upcoming 1 on 1 training, to transferring data from MBP to MBA - it's all be remarkable. Thanks for the advice guys. Sincerely appreciate it.

The only thing I don't love about the Macbook so far is that the fonts are so small on everything! I feel like I need reading glasses to see what my tabs say on Chrome or read the font. And when I zoom in, the buttons aren't aligned correctly :/

docjay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Just to update whoever finds this thread later, I absolutely LOVE the 13" MBA + thunderbolt display. And when on the go, the MBA is just perfect. Thanks for the advice everybody.

-jc

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Just to update whoever finds this thread later, I absolutely LOVE the 13" MBA + thunderbolt display. And when on the go, the MBA is just perfect. Thanks for the advice everybody.

How are you finding the glare/brightness on the Thunderbolt display? Some people complain and it would be interesting to have another viewpoint (I don't have one).

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Hi everybody,

I run an online business through my laptop. The daily routine is having about 20 tabs open in Google Chrome consisting of about 6 GMail accounts, bank, Google Docs, and websites.

I'm ready to spend $4k on a more robust system that makes more sense and is more reliable. I'm personally scared of this $400 laptop crashing any day and I'm not sure I want to carry it with me everywhere. It has a large "footprint".

I would take a trip to the Apple store and test drive an Air. It would be ideal for your usage and frequent travel. Bump the RAM and HD to the max and purchase AppleCare (also handy for notebooks that travel often) after the first nine months of ownership. Buy a separate, base Mini that you use solely for banking and other money transactions, ie no email, social network, surfing, etc. Connect it to the internet only via Ethernet, behind a good router.

You can probably still use your current monitor.

ReinaldoWhi

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Radcliffe
you may choose any of the beautiful 21.5 to 27" displays. Its display design that reduces reflection by 75 percent and it allows good audio and video features. Now they are available with intel core i5 which allows faster access of working. you can various networks for access of internet or like so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.