Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bantz

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
Not to take away from Google now, it blows siri out of the water, but of course you know it's "learning" based on what you search for. Pretty simple algorithm: "he searched for it once, show it again"

It's the implementation of that algorithm that makes Google now better than siri, but Google now can't just learn things on its own :p

I'm sure you know that already, just clarifying for those that might not.

Dont forget stalking me with my GPS too :)

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
It's awesome for no hands texting. I use it all the time. Siri clearly has a good understanding of the way I speak and gets my texts nearly perfect everytime.

----------

I totally agree.

I'm waiting for Siri to do in bound information processing. I wish that when I was driving, Siri could ask me if I want to hear an incoming text message or automatically tell me I have a text from a VIP and then start playing it. Once it's done, she can give me the option to reply.

THAT would be a great feature and it seems so easily done. C'mon Apple!

I like the idea of Siri initiating the conversation. That would make for a completely hands free experience.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Siri is still crippled and barely useful - especially in loud situations. It's been relegated in my experience to setting up reminders and asking about sports scores...

Nonsense, I use it everyday and it's works very well. It occasionally gets things wrong and has issues in loud environments (completely understandable), but I find it invaluable.

Last edited:

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
I can only imagine what it must be like having to deal with all the many strange accents out there. It isn't nearly enough to segment Siri by country, you have to segment by part of country, like the southern US accent vs northern accent, maybe even the Bostonian accent, then there's the black accent, and all those exist in one country and are quite different in many ways... Then we head to England and... Oh boy.

Lol @ one of the accents you mentioned.

Droid13

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
United Kingdom
I have never really understood the way Siri has been received. It is a product with so much promise that is nevertheless sub par and a significant step backwards in some situations.

The most notable issue is the dependence on an Internet connection to do things with local data - like initiating a phone call or playing a song - that have been possible for years without issue.

Having said that, it does tend to understand commands well and I have not experienced any difficulties in this regard.

I read this article and wonder what Siri could have become if either it hadn't been acquired, or had been given more resources by Apple.

Is Siri still a beta product?

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
I know I know. I wasn't criticizing you. It just made me COL.. chuckle out loud. Coining it.

Ah, okay.

best-friends-source.jpg

Man, I am so tired, that is actually the funniest thing I've seen today.

That, and the vodka.

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Dont forget stalking me with my GPS too :)

Yeah that too lol..but you know what the way it figures out where home and work is its pretty ingenious. Again, such a simple algorithm, but the implementation makes Google now that much more awesome.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Siri is still crippled and barely useful - especially in loud situations. It's been relegated in my experience to setting up reminders and asking about sports scores...

The least useful part is, I always want to set reminders when I am away from wifi!

Siri is crippled by not being able to recognise speech without a server.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i prefer the one on that *Google bug* with Google Now, how "....now praising the iPad"

Bug or not, this could be seen as a marketing thing in voice ......

Is this a trend from other companies

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.