Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Oh well then. Never mind. I've been checking for them, obviously not as closely as others. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
maybe the 2011's have been there but not the 2012's. 2012 version came just came out in october, which was a little while ago. I hope theyre still there next week when i'm ready to get one. I love apple's refurb section. I'm still using a 2006 imac i bought refurbed

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
maybe the 2011's have been there but not the 2012's. 2012 version came just came out in october, which was a little while ago. I hope theyre still there next week when i'm ready to get one. I love apple's refurb section. I'm still using a 2006 imac i bought refurbed

You might want to also check your local best buy. I got a Mac Mini 2012 the base model for $499 open box. When I got it home the machine was new, hadn't even been booted up, checked Apple Care and it showed that the first day it was registered was by me. All Accessories were in the box and it didnt have a scratch on the machine. Also ask for a additional discount, I got a extra $40 off just for asking.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
You might want to also check your local best buy. I got a Mac Mini 2012 the base model for $499 open box. When I got it home the machine was new, hadn't even been booted up, checked Apple Care and it showed that the first day it was registered was by me. All Accessories were in the box and it didnt have a scratch on the machine. Also ask for a additional discount, I got a extra $40 off just for asking.

Is there a link to check inventory ?

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
. I love apple's refurb section. I'm still using a 2006 imac i bought refurbed

Same here. I too have a refurb iMac that I bought in '06. I'm looking to buy a Mac mini in a few months, after taxes are settled and various other needs are addressed. My iMac is just limping along, display is corrupted with dozens of vertical lines...ugh. Looking forward to a complete new setup.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
even though my 2006 imac still works great, i'm unable to upgrade from snow leopard.

to the guy who bought an open box from best buy. i'm assuming this was from the retail store and not online? I rarely go to that store. would they have an open box mini on a special table or shelf? How did you discover it in store?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
even though my 2006 imac still works great, i'm unable to upgrade from snow leopard.

to the guy who bought an open box from best buy. i'm assuming this was from the retail store and not online? I rarely go to that store. would they have an open box mini on a special table or shelf? How did you discover it in store?

You will just have to ask a sales associate as it will either be locked up in the back cage or even in one of the cages on the floor that they keep iPads in.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
You will just have to ask a sales associate as it will either be locked up in the back cage or even in one of the cages on the floor that they keep iPads in.

i just looked at the best buy website. they have a section for open box items! When you look at the inventory it only shows you what is available for the store nearest you. The store near me has 49 items labeled open box, one of them is the base model mac mini! Most stuff they give a price but on this mini it says to visit the store. When i'm ready to buy I'm going to seriously keep an eye on the inventories of the stores near

just use the store locator on their site. when you get to the store you want there is a choice down below on left called "open box items"

learn something new everyday

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
i just looked at the best buy website. they have a section for open box items! When you look at the inventory it only shows you what is available for the store nearest you. The store near me has 49 items labeled open box, one of them is the base model mac mini! Most stuff they give a price but on this mini it says to visit the store. When i'm ready to buy I'm going to seriously keep an eye on the inventories of the stores near

just use the store locator on their site. when you get to the store you want there is a choice down below on left called "open box items"

learn something new everyday

Thanks for sharing. I have been use to just walking into the store, seeing if they have anything in the cage on the floor/asking a sales associate if they have anything. So this is nice to know. Can check from the comfort of my own home without having to drive to the store. Awesome. :D

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Here's a link on the Best Buy site:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17301&type=page

There's an extra 10% off coupon for open box items (good until 2/2).

From that page you can print out that coupon as well as check your local store's inventory of open box items.

FWIW, I just recently picked up a base 2012 Mac Mini for about $460 after the 10% off coupon but before taxes. It appeared to be a display model (no box and a couple of very minor physical nicks/scuffs/scratches). It had apparently never been registered, so I got the full 1-year warranty.

A couple days later I went to another Best Buy and picked up a 2012 13" MacBook Air (128GB SSD) for about $890 (after 10% off coupon) for my wife. That one came with a box and looked to be in perfect condition. Like the Mini, it didn't show up as ever being registered, but that got me to thinking that perhaps Best Buy has an arrangement with Apple now, such that they get the original registrations "wiped clean".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.