Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I'm hoping they blow away expectations, but won't be too disappointed if they don't. I'm invested for the long haul and think Apple will outlast the competitors. Samsung may be eating into their marketshare, but for absolute numbers, Apple is still gaining. If and when China Mobile becomes a partner, iPhone only grows bigger.

Samsung also doesn't come close in profits. And without software or media to lock users in, Samsung users can leave just as easily as they entered. If and when Apple's TV comes out, it will definitely work seamlessly with the iPads and iPhones. That's a major advantage.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i think unit sales will come in very good but not revenues and profits. iphone 5 has been on sale almost every week since november. $150 at best buy and radio shack. $119 at wally world

if you think the stores are selling it as a loss leader you are wrong

love my ipad 2 and plan on keeping it for years to come. might buy a 5 this year, might wait. most apps don't even need an ipad 2

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
i think unit sales will come in very good but not revenues and profits. iphone 5 has been on sale almost every week since november. $150 at best buy and radio shack. $119 at wally world

love my ipad 2 and plan on keeping it for years to come. might buy a 5 this year, might wait. most apps don't even need an ipad 2
???

If you think Apple will lower their margins for the benefit of retailers, you are dead wrong. Even if it's BestBuy.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
???

If you think Apple will lower their margins for the benefit of retailers, you are dead wrong. Even if it's BestBuy.

so if best buy sells the phone for $150 who takes the hit? how are they going to make up the revenue? not with a case

smartphones are at the stage where they are commodities and margin compression is here. look at PC's 12 years ago.

apple takes the hit or they lose sales to samsung

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Too high, probably a bit above 50 billion, wich is not bad but still analysts will moan .

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
so if best buy sells the phone for $150 who takes the hit? how are they going to make up the revenue? not with a case

smartphones are at the stage where they are commodities and margin compression is here. look at PC's 12 years ago.
I don't know how BestBuy does it.

What I do know, is that when you buy it for the 'normal' price of $199, you are already being given a discount of about $450. An additional $50 doesn't seem like much of a burden for the carriers.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I don't know how BestBuy does it.

What I do know, is that when you buy it for the 'normal' price of $199, you are already being given a discount of about $450. An additional $50 doesn't seem like much of a burden for the carriers.

most smart phones are on family plans, no reason for the carriers to give a discount

cappadonna

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
So is anybody here going to purchase APPL stock? Either going to make some instant money or lose some..

I just bought 250 shares a few days back Here's hoping!

They'll also announce they have purchased Microsoft, Google and the entire Asian continent.

hopefully yes..:D

I'd be too afraid to buy it ahead of earnings. AAPL's missed two quarters in a row and people are looking to discount it. If they miss, you can get in at a much lower price.

I thought about this but then was like screw it. If I see the stock tanking further, I'll take the loss and get out but I'm confident it's going up. The Verizon numbers were a good indication...I hope.

I hate and love AAPL because of how easily people are disappointed in the company and the sell off that ensues

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
most smart phones are on family plans, no reason for the carriers to give a discount
Allright, but we can be a 100% sure that it's not Apple giving the discount. So someone thinks a discount is worth the while and it's not Apple.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I've been long AAPL for about a decade and have never been so nervous about an earnings report.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Apple is the only company who makes Macs... while there are a dozen companies who make Windows machines.

And the same goes for the iPhone as well... compared to hundreds of Android models across the globe.

Is a company's success based solely on market share? Apple has 120 billion reasons why it's not ;)

Probably you will never get point that Apple lost Personal Computing war to Microsoft following exact same business model i.e. control every aspect of persona computing whereas M$ licenses its software to run on whoever is willing to run it. Same thing is repeating in mobile computing space. Apple wants to control every aspect of mobile computing under its ecosystem whereas Google is letting whoever is willing to run with its software let them run. Numbers are right in front of us - Samsung+Google are eating Apple's pie. And if you think Apple can survive this without coming out with revolutionary product, good luck with that. Increasing size of phone, shrinking size of tablet or thinning out desktop is not going to save Apple's falling stock price and marketshare. With this same strategy they are on their way to 7% market share of mobile computing, same as what they had with personal computing.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

apple takes the hit or they lose sales to samsung

Those stores buy iPhones from Apple at the normal price. In other words... Apple gets all their money even if the stores decide to sell it cheaper.

I don't think Apple negotiates deals with Best Buy, Radio Shack and Wal-Mart.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Those stores buy iPhones from Apple at the normal price. In other words... Apple gets all their money even if the stores decide to sell it cheaper.

I'm pretty sure they do not. Apple simply does not do bulk pricing.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I've been long AAPL for about a decade and have never been so nervous about an earnings report.
Yeah, for some reason, this earnings report feels like it's going to say a lot about Apple's future since their products are mature now, or close to it. The question is where do they go from here. I think a lot of people are counting on this earnings report to tell them whether or not Apple can sustain themselves on just incremental improvements on products without the creation of new ones.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

so say the iphone 5 is not selling that well. why is best buy going to buy it from apple to sell it $50 less than apple? cases cost less than $50. how are they going to make money? logic says they will just not buy anymore units or buy just enough to sell at $199

and this only started with the iphone 5. with the 4S and 4 best buy sold it at full price all year

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Probably you will never get point that Apple lost Personal Computing war to Microsoft following exact same business model i.e. control every aspect of persona computing whereas M$ licenses its software to run on whoever is willing to run it. Same thing is repeating in mobile computing space. Apple wants to control every aspect of mobile computing under its ecosystem whereas Google is letting whoever is willing to run with its software let them run. Numbers are right in front of us - Samsung+Google are eating Apple's pie. And if you think Apple can survive this without coming out with revolutionary product, good luck with that. Increasing size of phone, shrinking size of tablet or thinning out desktop is not going to save Apple's falling stock price and marketshare. With this same strategy they are on their way to 7% market share of mobile computing, same as what they had with personal computing.

Samsung and Google eating Apple's pie. LOL. The only thing they have is market share. APple makes close to 80% of ALL cellphone industry profits leaving the rest for Samsung (primarily). Samsung outspends Apple by 10 times to get that little share. 70% of mobile ad revenue is generated on iOS. 90% of mobile e-commerce revenue comes from iOS. Over 80-percent of mobile gaming revenue comes from iOS devices. Web usage by iOS devices is more than triple that of Android devices which triple iOS devices in total numbers. Almost 70-percent of mobile ad viewing is done on iOS devices, not on Android devices.

So yeah, Apple is getting their asses kicked. :rolleyes:

Limboistik

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011

No.
Retail stores get their phones from Carriers.
Carriers pay stores commission for activations.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Probably you will never get point that Apple lost Personal Computing war to Microsoft following exact same business model

Microsoft was 1st place by a large margin from the start, and they continued that way.

I don't see how it's similar at all. Apple was never in a position of strength and then lost it. So, how does that relate to today?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

you have to look at the car market from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. about the same time frame as computing. at first an open model prevailed and there were lots of car companies. in the US Ford and then GM drove everyone else into bankruptcy following a vertically integrated model.

and apple seems to be close to what Ford did with its single model of the car for many years while GM expanded into different niches

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Good chart--thanks, MR. I'm always curious about what everyone's expecting vs. reality, but not curious enough to research and read stuff!

The missing line for "what the media pretends is going on" would be amusing. A red lightning bolt straight down to hell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.