Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
no wonder i almost blinded myself when i accidentally hit passbook at night

the app has since been exiled to the last page

I discovered this today while at the airport and was pleasantly surprised. Passbook needs to be bright for the QR codes -- I generally have my phone at a usable but low brightness but when I travel I crank it all the way down to save juice. This saves a huge bother of passbook not working for its intended use.

AppleLover12345

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
And this is why Apple is still regarded as the best. Instead of focusing 100% on specs they focus on smaller things that create a much more solid experience and speed up performance. e.g. dual core iP5 out benchmarking quad core S3

I HIGHLY doubt the dual core IP5 benches higher than the quad core S3, considering the fact that both processors use Samsung's fabrication technology and Apple is known to use the lowest quality parts available. Not just that, Samsung saves their best technology for their own devices, not their competitors'.
I know the IP5 is faster than the dual-core S3, but that's because Samsung's 4 core exynos was incompatible with US LTE networks, so Samsung had to settle for Qualcomm's processors.

Edit: I was right and you were wrong.
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...er-than-the-galaxy-s3-faster-than-the-nexus-7

Also, I think this whole "experience" rationalization is a subtle acceptance that Android is superior to iOS that many Apple lovers can't fully admit yet. When you have to resort to vague, innumerate measures to determine which OS is better, then you know you're just pulling crap out of your rear. Also, the iPhone experience is definitely NOT solid, especially with all the crashing, lagging and stuttering when you want to do simple things.
Furthermore, I suggest you read this and put some time to take it all in.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2012/02/02/does-ios-crash-more-than-android-a-data-dive/
It's gonna be hard to swallow for an Apple fanatic, but I trust that you can persevere and speak truth and not BS once you break free from the Apple reality-distortion field.

Last edited:

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
And this is why Apple is still regarded as the best. Instead of focusing 100% on specs they focus on smaller things that create a much more solid experience and speed up performance. e.g. dual core iP5 out benchmarking quad core S3

Umm this isn't an apple innovation at all. This has been around for years. Its called dynamic contrast.

AppleLover12345

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Looks like android devices are so boring that droidtrolls come here to entertain themselves....:D
Not an exciting and flashy innovation anyway but it has quite a lot of implications. I'm sure Samsung and Nokia have inventions like this but not many people cares cause only few like the companies ;) if its google, u would see a lot of praise and I will be among them.

Where are the "droidtrolls" you speak of?
Also, no Samsung or Nokia fanatic praises them for making insignificant "inventions" like that patent because Samsung and Nokia make REAL technology.
Also, I'd have to argue against your assertion that only a few people like Samsung. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean only a fringe minority does. Hell, Samsung Galaxy S3 is outselling the iPhone 5 in your own country.

----------

Umm this isn't an apple innovation at all. This has been around for years. Its called dynamic contrast.

Isn't it SO annoying that Apple fanatics keep trying to claim something other people invented? :D

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Although this seems like a simple thing to patent, imagine if Apple didn't patent it and everyone just started copying it? Then there would be no more innovation from other companies to create other battery saving methods with software or hardware? We always see these things as trivial but if everyone used the same methods and implementations, what differentiates one company's products from another's? Apple's R&D department might was well be Samsung or Google's.

Even if they decided to do something similar, they would still have to resolve the engineering issues to get there. Aside from that, the patent link returns an error.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Dimming the display to reduce power is patent worthy?

They have a patent on an ON/OFF switch too?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008

Well compared to Android, that's not very accurate. Android is filled with little features compared to iOS, sadly.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Looks like android devices are so boring that droidtrolls come here to entertain themselves....:D
Not an exciting and flashy innovation anyway but it has quite a lot of implications. I'm sure Samsung and Nokia have inventions like this but not many people cares cause only few like the companies ;) if its google, u would see a lot of praise and I will be among them.

Oddly this feature is implemented on every STOCK Galaxy S3. Want to disable it?

Go to Settings -> Display
scroll all the way down
"Auto adjust screen tone"

And actually this feature isn't innovative at all as several others have mentioned here. And considering Apple in this scenario...

...I may consider buying an Apple branded phone again when they stop this anorexia design. I don't give a damn about 4mm more thickness if that gives me more battery.

Maybe Ive should rethink about that device. It is supposed to be portable! My Galaxy S3 at least lasts 2days with typical usage.

Or is the iPhone population so hipster that they instantly plug their phones in a s soon as they are home?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I HIGHLY doubt the dual core IP5 benches higher than the quad core S3, considering the fact that both processors use Samsung's fabrication technology and Apple is known to use the lowest quality parts available. Not just that, Samsung saves their best technology for their own devices, not their competitors'.
I know the IP5 is faster than the dual-core S3, but that's because Samsung's 4 core exynos was incompatible with US LTE networks, so Samsung had to settle for Qualcomm's processors.

Edit: I was right and you were wrong.
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...er-than-the-galaxy-s3-faster-than-the-nexus-7

Also, I think this whole "experience" rationalization is a subtle acceptance that Android is superior to iOS that many Apple lovers can't fully admit yet. When you have to resort to vague, innumerate measures to determine which OS is better, then you know you're just pulling crap out of your rear. Also, the iPhone experience is definitely NOT solid, especially with all the crashing, lagging and stuttering when you want to do simple things.
Furthermore, I suggest you read this and put some time to take it all in.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2012/02/02/does-ios-crash-more-than-android-a-data-dive/
It's gonna be hard to swallow for an Apple fanatic, but I trust that you can persevere and speak truth and not BS once you break free from the Apple reality-distortion field.
Anandtech did some tests.

kdarling

macrumors P6
/////////// What this patent is really about \\\\\\\\\

Okay, at first I was just as fooled as everyone else by the description that every blog on the planet is using. As usual, that description is misleading.

This is NOT a patent for content-based auto-brightness done on the mobile device itself. (*)

In this patent, the brightness determination is done externally...
  • a media server looks at the requested content type or data, and
  • using preset user preferences for that type,
  • adjusts either the content itself before serving it, and/or
  • commands the mobile device to adjust its brightness.

The idea is to conserve battery power on the mobile device displaying the content.

(*) However, the Galaxy S2 does have such a feature

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Let me introduce you to join this thread.

Which had nothing to do with what I said. You guys can talk all day about having a new snapdragon under the hood, or having NFC that you can use all of once a day (until a real player busts open the NFC piñata), but the spec junkies still have to acknowledge that they need more power for the same results, thats sad.

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
So Apple now holds a patent on something else people have been doing for years? Never used a TV/Monitor with dynamic contrast? Tegra 3 Android devices have a similar feature for video playback called SmartDimmer... And I'm sure there are probably dozens of other examples of content-related backlight control. Opening the camera app on my One X causes the screen to blind me too. This is simply ridiculous.

What on Earth is wrong with the US patent system? Why does it allow this to keep happening?!

Apple invited it in 2002 . Thats 10 years ago .. If Apple where first with the future and others manufactures copied it 5 years ago .. Apple still invented it 10 years ago ... ergo Appel where first .. if there no prior art of 2002 Appel has every right to sue anyone who copy .

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
Apple invited it in 2002 . Thats 10 years ago .. If Apple where first with the future and others manufactures copied it 5 years ago .. Apple still invented it 10 years ago ... ergo Appel where first .. if there no prior art of 2002 Appel has every right to sue anyone who copy .

If they didn't patent it then they can't sue. And do you really beleive that Apple was the inventor of dimming a screen?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Wow, you really gotta get out more.
Ever heard of Smart Stay, Smart Alarm, Direct Call, etc..?
BTW, these are features that already exist on an eight month old phone, the Galaxy S3. Yeah, unlike Apple, Samsung has focused on the little things too, but without ignoring specs. ;)

hahah i had a GS3 and half of those features didnt even work half the time i tried to do it. The palm swipe takes alot of practice to be able to do it and even then it didnt my register my hand all the time.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
OT - but just let out a burst of laughter when the browser's "fit the <title> tag to the space available" algorithm labeled the tab for this as:

Apple Granted Patent on Meth

;)

kdarling

macrumors P6
If you skimmed the thread and still think the patent is a phone about auto-dimming its screen automatically...

No, it's not. Please scroll up and read Post #37 for an explanation.

Or read this:

It's for a media server commanding the phone to change brightness to conserve battery, when the phone accesses different types of content on the server. Or sometimes for the media server to manipulate the brightness on the content before serving it to the phone.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Yeah what big things?

really? lol

----------

Yeah what big things?

since you're the 2nd person asking I better just answer obvious stuff.

-They changed the music industry with their iPod
-They changed the computer industry with their iPad (not to mention competitors were laughing at the idea of the iPad when it first released saying it would never sell and it was just an oversized iPod)
-Everyone copies Apple design from tiny chinese companies to huge korean ones. Obviously they must have done something pretty epic in that department right?
-They push technology to improve faster, first to adopt stuff and market the heck out of it.
-Apple created a lifestyle with seemless integration between a lot of electronic consumer products, which had not existed before.
-Probably one of the biggest ones. They are so far ahead of 2nd place on the stock market in such a short amount of time.

----------

Wow, you really gotta get out more.
Ever heard of Smart Stay, Smart Alarm, Direct Call, etc..?
BTW, these are features that already exist on an eight month old phone, the Galaxy S3. Yeah, unlike Apple, Samsung has focused on the little things too, but without ignoring specs. ;)

I use voice on my S3 to call someone, 9/10 times it calls the wrong person. I use voice on my brother's iPhone 5 and never failed yet. You can make small things all you want but half assing them vs getting them right is another thing.

edit: yeah! i have the s3 and i know it is not as good in looks, feel and performance than my brothers iPhone5. choppy animations anyone?

muncyweb

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2007
Dimming PART of the Screen

Dimming just PART of the screen at a time. Now that would be something. I assume that's not what this patent is about though.

Another way Apple could increase battery life would be to use all that space it saved making the phone smaller over the course of the last several years and simply increase the size of the battery back up to the size of the original iPhone. Call it iPhoneLL (long life) and charge more for double the battery life. Wrap it in rubber and you've got something my dad might actually use on his work sites...lol

dmwood78

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
I realize I'm replying to an old thread here, but I just recently upgraded to an iPhone 6 Plus from an iPhone 4S, which didn't have these auto dimming features (at least I never noticed them). As a video guy, I have to say that adding any kind of content based screen dimming function (both dynamic backlight and dynamic contrast) is a very bad idea - unless of course there is an option to turn this off.
On TVs, there is. If you ever do actual calibration, it's the very first thing that gets turned off. Why? Because on a properly calibrated display, these kind of features degrade the accuracy of the displayed image.

I'm actually disappointed that Apple added these functions, without adding a toggle that would allow the user to disable them. When I'm watching video on my iPhone 6 Plus, I am seeing the effects of dynamic contrast, and it makes a lot of video unwatchable to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.