Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
75 million iOS devices in one quarter. Dayum.

Gross margins taking a hit -- is that due primarily to the Mini? If so, Cook was right to price it where he did.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
You need to learn to read the news. Nobody expected a loss for Apple in Q4. Most expected poor quarter and this is exactly what happened. AAPL is $490 (-$24) right now in after hours. The profits were essentially flat compared to year ago reflecting shrinking profit margins. Expect APPL to continue going down from here.

It's just that people have absurd expectations from AAPL,look at GOOG results from yesterday,even they had negligible increase in profits,yet the stock is up-people saying YAY revenue is up,in case of AAPL it's DOOM.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Death Knell for Apple CPU products, or business as usual nowadays in a highly diversified company with significant lock-in on several market verticals?

You just gave all the MBAs hardons with this sentence.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
compared to 13.06 billion profit last year same time

if you really think best buy and other retailers are taking a hit on the iphone discounts you are naive

Last year's quarter had 14 weeks, this years, only 13.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Anyone more knowledgeable in the stock market have a reasonable explanation as to why APPL is down 5% after the news?

It's easy. It's because they missed analysts expectations. Despite of what many Apple fans say here about market analysts, market analysts expectations is what setting share prices. You miss them, it means you miss the target set by stock market. This leads to stock price adjustments.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Great news for Apple.

But the poor Mac... :( I know computer sales are plummeting everywhere, but of my Apple products (MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV), the Mac is the one I consider the most polished, the most impressive, and far and away the most powerful, of course. I like iOS for being simple and straightforward and iOS devices for outperforming their competitors in just about every way, but OS X is where it's at.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Inc reported quarterly revenue that slightly missed Wall Street expectations as sales of its flagship iPhone came in below analyst targets, sending its shares down more than 4 percent.
This is the basic issue.

Apple didn't miss anything..in fact they beat their guidance which should be what matters along with increased profits and revenues..which were both up.

Meanwhile Google missed on their guidance and the stock went up. Meanwhile Apple makes theirs and it's down...

Just proves the market is manipulated.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Wow I'm surprised how Mac sales dropped considering the introduction of the retina Macbooks and new iMacs.
Check the price of retina and availability of new iMacs...

PC sales are dropping across the board. Apple is prepared with the iOS products, Microsoft on the other hand is playing catch-up.
PCs are being eaten by Mobile, like you say, Apple not immune either.

You need to learn to read the news. Nobody expected a loss for Apple in Q4. Most expected poor quarter and this is exactly what happened. AAPL is $490 (-$24) right now in after hours. The profits were essentially flat compared to year ago reflecting shrinking profit margins. Expect APPL to continue going down from here.

You need to learn sarcasm when you read it...

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Anyone more knowledgeable in the stock market have a reasonable explanation as to why APPL is down 5% after the news?

Expectations. Also something alot of people on here wont understand (but us traders will) is that you cant put your bias into the market. "The markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent." Investors are probably pissed right now but us Traders profit from every direction in the market :D

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
It's easy. It's because they missed analysts expectations. Despite of what many Apple fans say here about market analysts, market analysts expectations is what setting share prices. You miss them, it means you miss the target set by stock market. This leads to stock price adjustments.

The issue is that most of these analysts aren't qualified to be setting these #s or projections...in fact the only one setting guidance should be Apple.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
What tha heck do you people even expect? A 100million iPhones every quarter? 47 Million is awesome.

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands

They become increasingly depending on iPhone and iPad sales. A market segment where you may expect gross margins to become thinner as the competition is catching up. And there is no sign of Apple releasing its next big margin product.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California

Because AAPL "missed" analyst expectations.

Tell me this, AMD closed +11% after reporting deep loses yesterday, go figure...

thelink

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
I cannot believe that after buying my stock at $100 its now worth over $15,000 and will soon be over $65,000! I hope these guys are right. This has got to be one of the best days ever!

Macs In LA

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
AAPL "miss"

The "miss" came from the inability of Apple to ship the newest iMacs. The CPU sales of taking orders

It is really, really stupid for them to launch products in December, especially when they cannot crank out 1 million units. Mid-October should be the latest they have new products, and they should not take orders until they can ship the first 500,000 units of anything in 24 hours. It is a logistical failing, not a technological one.

The silver lining is that if you decide to buy a Mac and they are not available... you wait. In the PC world if you want to buy one and it is not available, you just go buy another brand with no love loss. So sales were delayed, they were not lost.

I ordered a 27" Fusion iMac on December 4th. I just had it delivered today. That sort of delay is inexcusable.

As for the valuations, I am stumped. A P/E of sub-11 makes no sense at all, and $130+ billion in the bank means the cash value of a share is about $128, or about 26% of the stock price. A solid dividend and record sales and ALL the negative iPhone and iPad predictions of the last month were disproved with this report.

I think there needs to be more personality presented by Apple, but only after they can give the logistical fulfillment of their newest products. That was the most disappointing thing.

The valuation plummet actually doesn't make any fiscal or analytical sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.