Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
You need to learn to read the news. Nobody expected a loss for Apple in Q4. Most expected poor quarter and this is exactly what happened. AAPL is $490 (-$24) right now in after hours. The profits were essentially flat compared to year ago reflecting shrinking profit margins. Expect APPL to continue going down from here.

Did you catch the fact that they had 14 weeks in fiscal Q1 last year and 13 weeks in fiscal Q1 this year? If you break it down by week they saw a 14% increase in profit year-over-year.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
I cannot believe that after buying my stock at $100 its now worth over $15,000 and will soon be over $65,000! I hope these guys are right. This has got to be one of the best days ever!

Better sell quick before it goes back to $100.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Wow; I'm frankly surprised at the news. Considering all the misinformation leading up to the Q1 results I was expecting for Apple to report a slight loss.

Keep up the great work Apple!

You must not be good at finance then. Where did you get that idea?!

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
What tha heck do you people even expect? A 100million iPhones every quarter? 47 Million is awesome.

It's not us that expect 100 million iPhone sales but these idiot analysts with their bloated expectations.

I'm one who realizes that Apple is still profitable whether they sell 47 or 45 or 60 million iPhones.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
CPU Net Sales at 10% - anyone have end over end statistics on this for the past decade? I remember the transition from "Apple Computer" to "Apple, Inc." and everyone's predictions that Apple computers of any kind were slowly going to die out. This seems to be shaping up to be true (especially now that the XSan and XServe are gone, however insubstantial their sales were, and the ever-pending Mac Pro update), even though Mac OS is about 12% market share. Death Knell for Apple CPU products, or business as usual nowadays in a highly diversified company with significant lock-in on several market verticals?

It's not as bad as you think.

All it's saying is that 10% of their revenue comes from Macs. It's just one product division. And it's still profitable.

Plus... people really like Macs. And it's the most profitable computer on the planet. You also need a Mac to code iOS apps.

That last reason alone is the reason they can't cancel the Mac.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The issue is that most of these analysts aren't qualified to be setting these #s or projections...in fact the only one setting guidance should be Apple.

Right. Then please explain why Apple's actual results quarter after quarter are much closer to analysts projections than their own? Nobody cares about Apple's own projections (well, obviously analysts take a look at them). This is true for all companies but especially for Apple which is known for low balling their projections (to make an impression with actual results). Nobody gets fooled by this game anymore.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
This is the basic issue.

Apple didn't miss anything..in fact they beat their guidance which should be what matters along with increased profits and revenues..which were both up.

Meanwhile Google missed on their guidance and the stock went up. Meanwhile Apple makes theirs and it's down...

Just proves the market is manipulated.

I own Apple stock so I feel your pain.
The thing is, the closing price of $515 earlier today was a gain in anticipation of beating expectations. After Verizon gave their numbers, it gave AAPL hope. So it was priced higher to anticipate a beat, and would have gone even higher had it exceeded analyst expectations.

It missed, so it lost what was gained in anticipation, and then some.

Bottom line is, the stock price is priced for analyst expectations and rumor, not Apple's expectation and guidance. It's just the game and I suck at it for not selling at $700 :cool:

It is too bad that expectations are so high, but it is understandable if they are (were?) the most valuable company in the world based on market cap. It is hard to keep momentum going.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
There's no exciting product pipeline for 2013. Expect the stock to go down from here. It's the same old thing.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Did you catch the fact that they had 14 weeks in fiscal Q1 last year and 13 weeks in fiscal Q1 this year? If you break it down by week they saw a 14% increase in profit year-over-year.

Analysts obviously knew the 14/13 discrepancy and planned accordingly. So the fact remains: AAPL missed expectations and is going down.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
compared to 13.06 billion profit last year same time

if you really think best buy and other retailers are taking a hit on the iphone discounts you are naive

Eh yes they were, larger revenue this year, yet almost the same profit. Wall street wants to see growth year on year not stagnation.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
iPod sales being down YoY, isn't that much of a surprise, but the lower iMac sales was perhaps unexpected. I wonder if supply constraints of the new iMacs hadn't been an issue, if that could have resulted in YoY growth?

Even though we're used to/numbed by, and even expecting, these kinds of overall growth figures, they are very respectable nevertheless.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
iPod sales being down YoY, isn't that much of a surprise, but the lower iMac sales was perhaps unexpected. I wonder if supply constraints of the new iMacs hadn't been an issue, if that could have resulted in YoY growth?

Even though we're used to/numbed by, and even expecting, these kinds of overall growth figures, they are very respectable nevertheless.

iPad sales gotta be delaying/cannibalizing the sales of the imacs

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
This is the basic issue.

Apple didn't miss anything..in fact they beat their guidance which should be what matters along with increased profits and revenues..which were both up.

Meanwhile Google missed on their guidance and the stock went up. Meanwhile Apple makes theirs and it's down...

Just proves the market is manipulated.

Isn't guidance just a form of stock manipulation anyway?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Eh yes they were, larger revenue this year, yet almost the same profit. Wall street wants to see growth year on year not stagnation.

Stagnation is OK if the company pays meaningful dividend (which APPL does not). Expect them to announce dividend increases during the conference call.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
It's not us that expect 100 million iPhone sales but these idiot analysts with their bloated expectations.

I'm one who realizes that Apple is still profitable whether they sell 47 or 45 or 60 million iPhones.

Exactly.

Apple is profitable... and that's what keeps a company in business.

It's not what spot they occupy on a market share chart of ALL companies or platforms...

It's how they handle their OWN day to day operations.

Apple is only doomed the day they cannot pay their rent. Fortunately... I'll never see that day in my lifetime.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
As usual, record earnings for AAPL = stock gets hammered. Meanwhile, companies on life support with mounting quarterly losses get pumped up. The stock market makes no sense at all anymore, I'm getting out first opportunity I get.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Stagnation is OK if the company pays meaningful dividend (which APPL does not). Expect them to announce dividend increases during the conference call.

Already done.

Apple’s Board of Directors has declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share of the Company’s common stock. The dividend is payable on February 14, 2013, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on February 11, 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.