Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duffmanth

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
Wow I'm surprised how Mac sales dropped considering the introduction of the retina Macbooks and new iMacs.

I'm not surprised about Mac sales dropping off, the whole PC market is dropping off. There's only a very small segment of the population that's going to pay $2000+ for a laptop anymore.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
itunes store rev is up quite a bit even with that horrible app store change that came with ios6. Looks like we are stuck with it for a while =(.

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
75 million iOS devices in one quarter. Dayum.

Gross margins taking a hit -- is that due primarily to the Mini? If so, Cook was right to price it where he did.

Cook prepared everyone for the drop in margin, at least in part, by describing how margins on new products are lower until later in their life cycle. With Apple launching more new products than in any quarter in their history, they expected a hit to margins.

Any deterioration in margin, particularly of this size, is going to freak people out but it needs to be seen in context.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Already done.

Apple’s Board of Directors has declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share of the Company’s common stock. The dividend is payable on February 14, 2013, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on February 11, 2013.
That's not an increase. It's been 2.65 from the start.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
My poor AAPL stock. Whyyyy didn't I sell at $700, sigh.

I think the answer here is pretty obvious to most of us. iOS has stagnated. Apple thought they could float by with a few iterative improvements in the iOS within a five-year span, while beating off competition with patent lawsuits.

The reality is that those lawsuits have mostly failed, the present and future is becoming more about Big Data than Shiny Hardware, and Android has become "good enough" for most people. iOS by comparison looks and feels very last-decade. Smaller factors include Apple taking their eye off the Mac pro market, and increased competition in the music space from streaming services like Spotify.

I think Ive can help turn things around on the OS front, but how long will that take? The bigger question is, when will Apple get serious about data services? When will they fix iCloud, when will they start putting heavy R&D into data like mapping, geolocation, Siri advancements, etc? The current Apple looks to be treading water.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Ouch. For a regular company this would be great, but Apple used to be far from the norm.

The simple fact is they are no longer creating the trend, but trying to keep up with it. It's simple, they need to step their game up. Samsung is killing them.

Apple USED to have the best Ads.
Apple USED to have the best OS, iOS.
Apple USED to have the best phone.
Apple USED to have the best innovation.

This is no longer the case. Straighten up fellas, begin acting like you're part of the company Steve Jobs resurrected.

I believe in iOS 7 and future iOS products

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Already done.

Apple’s Board of Directors has declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share of the Company’s common stock. The dividend is payable on February 14, 2013, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on February 11, 2013.

That's not enough. Roughly $2.65 * 4 quarters / $500 (AAPL price) = 2.12% annual dividend. Other tech companies (like Intel) pay more (around 4%).

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I think Ive can help turn things around on the OS front, but how long will that take? The bigger question is, when will Apple get serious about data services? When will they fix iCloud, when will they start putting heavy R&D into data like mapping, geolocation, Siri advancements, etc? The current Apple looks to be treading water.
Agreed. iCloud is where it was 1.5 years ago. It still sucks when it comes to file syncing. It's hard to use for both users and developers. Every iPad is basically worthless without Dropbox... That tells us a lot.

Ccwk

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
My poor AAPL stock. Whyyyy didn't I sell at $700, sigh.

I think the answer here is pretty obvious to most of us. iOS has stagnated. Apple thought they could float by with a few iterative improvements in the iOS within a five-year span, while beating off competition with patent lawsuits.

The reality is that those lawsuits have mostly failed, the present and future is becoming more about Big Data than Shiny Hardware, and Android has become "good enough" for most people. iOS by comparison looks and feels very last-decade. Smaller factors include Apple taking their eye off the Mac pro market, and increased competition in the music space from streaming services like Spotify.

This is someone that gets it, very good insight.

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Because AAPL "missed" analyst expectations.

Tell me this, AMD closed +11% after reporting deep loses yesterday, go figure...

do you people really not get it?

let's see, AMD with deep losses BUT far smaller than expected: stock up

Google with negligible YOY profit increase BUT significant slowing of decline in ad sales: Stock up

Apple with best quarter ever BUT decline in EPS and significant increase in costs: Stock down.

If you want to actually try to understand the situation, it makes perfect sense

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Stagnation is OK if the company pays meaningful dividend (which APPL does not). Expect them to announce dividend increases during the conference call.

Already done.

That's not an increase. It's been 2.65 from the start.

I never said they were increasing it. Just pointing out the dividend has been declared.

That's not enough. Roughly $2.65 * 4 quarters / $500 (AAPL price) = 2.12% annual dividend. Other tech companies (like Intel) pay more (around 4%).

they declare a dividend every quarter...

Don't shoot the messenger.

:)

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Analysts obviously knew the 14/13 discrepancy and planned accordingly. So the fact remains: AAPL missed expectations and is going down.

It's their best quarter ever. Apple hit their guidance. These "experts" over-predicted - which says more about them as experts than Apple, and says a lot about how much manipulation goes on in the market.

It's amazing how people manage to turn their best quarter ever into a negative.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
Apple sold 4.1 million Macintosh computers, compared to 5.2 million in the year-ago period

minus 20% Mac sales

ouch

way below even the most pessimistic expectations, and definitely worse than the PC market

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
So, when will the SEC investigation begin on all the people manipulating the stock price with bogus stories the last few weeks?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Does the old saying "laptops outsell desktops" still apply?

I'd reckon more people are buying laptops anyway.

Has Apple ever broken down Mac sales between Macbooks and iMacs?

First quarter they didn't break down desktop vs laptop sales in as long as I can remember.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Time to change stock symbol from APPL to POS. POS is still available (I just checked) :D

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
do you people really not get it?

let's see, AMD with deep losses BUT far smaller than expected: stock up

Google with negligible YOY profit increase BUT significant slowing of decline in ad sales: Stock up

Apple with best quarter ever BUT decline in EPS and significant increase in costs: Stock down.

If you want to actually try to understand the situation, it makes perfect sense

Get out of here with your logic! :cool:
Everyone is just bummed about the stock they own dropping. Denial, and disbelief. Look for acceptance early next week ;) I own it too and decided to get over it already, it's reality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.