Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
INSANE- Apple’s market value has fallen by the combined market value of two Nokias plus two RIMs in the hours since its results came out.(via @daringfireball)

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Looks like there should be good buy opportunities ahead this year, for those interested in value investing. Times of over-pessimism provide great prices. Just look at RIM and Nokia last year. This isn't even nearly as bad as Intel's guidance. The confidence of Apple's management shows that the company has reasonable financial stability.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
AAPL's after market collapse makes no sense at all. What did people want to see? All financial indicators put Apple at a huge discount compared to the industry. The stock price reaction to the earnings report is purely insane.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Wow I'm surprised how Mac sales dropped considering the introduction of the retina Macbooks and new iMacs.

Constrained supply. They couldn't get the iMac out fast enough and people stopped buying until they could get them.

Next quarter will show increased sales a demand for new iMac is met.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It's $461 right now. I do not expect it to go that low tomorrow though. On the other hand the long term is not looking good at all. Do not think that the "good company's" stock can't drop significantly. Notice how INTC dropped from $74 in 2000 to $21 now and Intel makes way more money now than they did back then.

True, but even without looking it up, I am going to guess that INTC's multiples were much higher in 2000 than today. The earnings report was blah but not a disaster, so I am a little puzzled by the sharp drop -- though of course this is after-hours trading. The market has been pricing in lower earnings growth rates for months now. Pretty soon AAPL will be selling for PEs similar to companies that mine borax and manufacture pig iron.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
AAPL's after market collapse makes no sense at all. What did people want to see? All financial indicators put Apple at a huge discount compared to the industry. The stock price reaction to the earnings report is purely insane.

The initial decline (~$20) was reaction to the earnings. The following $35 decline was due to the guidance.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Apple's figures are great, breaking yet another records and all, but I have some concerns of my own:

1. About 56% of the revenue came from iPhone sales. These figures are up from 53% last year. In addition, 20% of the revenue came from iPad, the same as last year. It means that three quarters of Apple's revenue comes from sales of iPhones and iPads. That's Apple's business.

The figures may be fantastic, but Apple relies too much in one product. Should the iPhone hype go away, or another revolutionary smartphone hit the market, Apple may collapse. That happened a million times with other companies, and Apple is not immune to that, as nobody is. There are threats everywhere, and Samsung is shortening the gap with Apple and is investing a lot in patents.

2. I am afraid of buying a Mac as my next computer, as I doubt Apple's commitment to it. Macs represented only 10% of Apple's revenue this quarter, down from 14% last year. Tim Cook may blame the iMac short supply, but that alone doesn't explain such a big drop. The fact is that Macs sales are indeed declining, together with the whole PC industry. If Mac sales continue to drop in the following years, Apple may well discontinue its line of computers in favor of iOS devices. Even if Apple does not discontinue the Mac, it may reduce the investiments in the development of both hardware and software in this area.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It still blow my mind that a company can report $13B profit for ONE quarter and the stock drops 10%. Has that ever happened before? :confused:

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I haven't read every page, but I'm surprised by how many people are surprised that Apple's stock is falling. Regardless of how you feel about the products, without something new on the horizon and with growing competition, the price is going to fall.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Is it a TV? I find that one hard to imagine as having as much of an impact as- say- iPhone or iPad after it rolled out

Hmm, I also remember predictions that the iPhone and iPad would be duds. (Thank you Uncle Ballmer.)

Those who will never "get" Apple and will never see personal profit from AAPL investment are the ones that "find that one hard to imagine."

If history is our guide.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
conference call said:
A: We continually assess this. We are pleased to have started our share repurchase program this quarter. Combined with the dividend, we returned $4.5b in cash this quarter. Expect to return $45 billion to our shareholders over the next 3 years.
Given the drop in AAPL since the earnings call, it appears they will have a much lower average basis for this policy.

I wonder if Braeburn Capital is also doing AAPL stock purchases? They don't have to disclose that. :D

I stated a year ago or so that there was a gap in AAPL at $445. The gap may or may not be filled, but at minimum, at $458 we sure came darn close! Watch tomorrow's intraday.

Rocketman, prognosticator

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Apple promised that they wouldn't sandbag their guidance anymore. Then they went and gave a guidance of $41-43B vs. consensus estimate of $45.63B.

It doesn't matter what Apple's guidance is, if they miss analyst guidance, they get beaten up for it, no one on Wall Street cares if they beat their own guidance or not.

AppleNewsTech

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Today we have 24 carriers on LTE around the world for iPHone 5. Those are in countries like the US, Korea, UK, Germany, Canada, Japan, Australia and a few others. Next week, we're adding 36 more carriers for LTE support in countries we're not currently supporting LTE -- Italy, Denmark, Switzerland, Philippines and several Middle Eastern countries, covering 300 million customers. iPhone 5 supports other ultrafast networks like HSPA+. Feel very good about the situation, particularly with these adds next week.

Could this be the 6.1 update coming next week?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It still blow my mind that a company can report $13B profit for ONE quarter and the stock drops 10%. Has that ever happened before? :confused:

I would say most likely, though the number of companies that could report $13b in profits are few. It all depends on what the markets were expecting.

-jc

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
2. I am afraid of buying a Mac as my next computer, as I doubt Apple's commitment to it. Macs represented only 10% of Apple's revenue this quarter, down from 14% last year. Tim Cook may blame the iMac short supply, but that alone doesn't explain such a big drop. The fact is that Macs sales are indeed declining, together with the whole PC industry. If Mac sales continue to drop in the following years, Apple may well discontinue its line of computers in favor of iOS devices. Even if Apple does not discontinue the Mac, it may reduce the investiments in the development of both hardware and software in this area.

Like every company, they have some products that are more popular than others. Apple is not abandoning the Mac. It's still a massive business, even if the sales are declining.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It doesn't matter what Apple's guidance is, if they miss analyst guidance, they get beaten up for it, no one on Wall Street cares if they beat their own guidance or not.

Actually they beat the institutional guidance on EPS by 3%. Not a lot, but not a miss.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
The initial decline (~$20) was reaction to the earnings. The following $35 decline was due to the guidance.

The company's financial statements is far to healthy to warrant a drop like this, either way great opportunity to buy at a discount and pickup that dividend in February. I still think a 10% drop is insane, and your breakdown is exactly correct.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Fact is consumers are voting with their wallet in favor of tablets and smartphones. I don't think Apple will give up on the Mac as there will always be a population that needs something more powerful than an iPad.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I would say most likely, though the number of companies that could report $13b in profits are few. It all depends on what the markets were expecting.

I get expectations and all that but at what point do the numbers stand on their own? I think just about any company, including Exxon Mobile, would kill for those kind of numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.