Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
What is the source of your statistics? And I can guarantee you your iPad did not have its screen on for 20+ hours on a single charge.

Time since last charge, iPad (3rd generation):

2ynjrxv.png

abm8av.png

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
But the vast majority of people make it a day or even 2 or 3 or more on a single charge. Heck, my iPad goes a week and 20+ hours of use on a charge. There just isn't a big incentive to improve batteries at this point.

I would expect battery innovation to come from the automobile market over the next decade or so.

I would be interested to know which heavy iphone users make it 3 days on a single change.

theacg

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
This is so classic. Just take a look at all the comments spewing idiocy towards the original post with moronic notions of throwing money at a problem will not help.

Amazing how so many here for some strange reason missed ENTIRELY the term R&D. To you generation-x mentally challenged, R&D refers to Research and Development. R&D cost are substantial when the efforts are for improving upon something that has been improved upon many times before. Imagine getting the last drop of water out of a sponge. Do you know who much energy it takes to do this? It takes a lot.

The original poster has the intellect to understand this, well why don't you?
To the morons stationed at the "its not there forte" camp, has it dawned on you ITS THEIR PRODUCT? Ever heard of continual improvement?

My brick Motorola fits perfectly in my trunk. The ice store is only 3 blocks from my house why bother with refrigeration. Heavier than air flight never going to happen. The earth is flat. And other simpleton mentalities.

Attack on real good inquisition instead off backing valid logic unfortunately fulfills the prophecy of the down generation. And down we go.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Why doesn't Google spend its billions making Android more energy efficient?

I mean, the Google Nexus 4 has awful battery life and so do most Android devices. You need like a greater than 2500mAh battery on an Android device just get decent battery life.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Money doesn't equal innovation. You can't just throw money at something and it will be magically discovered.

Ahem...
Henry Ford decided he wanted a motor that was designed with the entire eight cylinders cast in one block. The engineers quickly told Ford that it could not be done. "The design was placed on paper, but the engineers agreed that it was simply impossible to cast an eight-cylinder engine block into one piece." To this Ford, replied, "Produce it anyway . . . I want it, and I'll have it." It took years to design what Ford wanted, but Ford's belief that he could have what he wanted resulted in the famous Ford V8 Motor.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Why doesn't Google spend its billions making Android more energy efficient?

I mean, the Google Nexus 4 has awful battery life and so do most Android devices. You need like a greater than 2500mAh battery on an Android device just get decent battery life.

Um you mean like they have with the complete overhaul that ICS was, and then making it even better with Jelly Bean.

Your statement is patently false. My Galaxy note 2 last 2 days without a charge and normal use..

Just as with a cult, if you can not defend yourself because there is no defense, then ATTACK!

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Um you mean like they have with the complete overhaul that ICS was, and then making it even better with Jelly Bean.

Your statement is patently false. My Galaxy note 2 last 2 days without a charge and normal use..

Just as with a cult, if you can not defend yourself because there is no defense, then ATTACK!

He said you need a greater than 2,500mAh battery to get decent battery life.

Your response is that your galaxy note 2 has decent battery life therefore he's wrong.

The galaxy note 2 has a 3,100mAh battery.

Now I'm not necessarily saying that he was right in the first place, but at least think about your responses a bit :p

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I think the fact that we have an iPhone with twice the pixels and several times the processing power of the original yet still has all day battery life and then some is pretty innovative.

I was thinking about this today. The iPhone 5 has nearly the same processing power as the original Macbook Air, but fits in your pocket, weighs about as much as a deck of cards, and lasts a day or two on a single charge. That's pretty amazing, and I think we're only a generation or two away from having Core 2 Duo performance in an iphone, but I guess some people still want MOAR!

really? what did the original macbook air get in Geekbench? can u send me a link of that lmao

----------

That's not screen on time. Apple counts anything as usage, even if your screen is off and it is just checking for notifications.

not true, usage is when the screen is on... standby is when the iPad or any iOS device is pulling in notificatins and emails and what not

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Somewhere in the Cupertino HQ...

Tim: Look at the billions we're making!
Lackey: Yes, the stock is kinda taking a hit. Oh but continuing to sell iPad 2's we can drive down the cost, corner people out yadda yadda.
Tim: That 4th yadda, was that about improving our batteries?
Lackey: Well we are improving them, in the sake of keeping up with the new technology we throw in there.
Johnny: I'd like to redesign a device. I believe we can--
Tim: Johnny love the attitude, but you do realize that ups up costs right?! I mean look at the iPhone fi-
Lackey: iPhone 4SS
Tim: Hah yeah, look how we kept it the same! We told people we at perfection, but do you realize how much we saved? I mean we took the rubber off the headphones, and we save so much in importing rubber. Johnny please stop rolling your eyes.
Johnny: Well can we at least start offering the base model at 32 gb?
Tim: Lackey, you want to take this one?
Lackey: Look we already got the price down on the 8 gig and 16 gig modules. Do you know how much more we'll have to spend?!
Tim and Lackey: We got a good thing going here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.