Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_black_white.jpg
During today's Financial Results call, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that 36 additional carriers will be providing LTE connectivity for the iPhone and the iPad next week.

"Next week," said Tim Cook, "we're adding 36 more carriers for LTE support. These carriers will be in countries that we are not currently supporting LTE."

While Cook did not name all 36 carriers that would be getting LTE, he did mention that they are in regions like Italy, Denmark, Switzerland, the Philippines, and the Middle East. Currently, 24 carriers offer LTE for the iPhone and the iPad, in countries like the United States, Australia, South Korea, the U.K., Germany, Canada, and Japan.

Apple has been slow to roll out LTE connectivity, leading to complaints over the "4G" in the third generation iPad's name when it was released. Apple later changed it to the iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular in response.

When asked if the slow pace of LTE rollouts has had an impact on iPhone sales, Cook skirted the question, but he did mention the plans to roll out LTE in the aforementioned countries during the next week, and had this to say: "We feel really good about the situation we are in, particularly with these adds next week."

Article Link: Apple to Expand LTE Support to 36 Additional Carriers in Several Countries

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
During today's earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that Apple will be adding LTE coverage to 36 additional carriers in countries where Apple does not currently offer LTE support.

What? This doesn't make any sense.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
How do they add LTE support? I thought any carrier that can send out the right signal would work on iphone 5s. In the UK, people have said that only EE and 3 would ever be able to support LTE on iphone 5s because the other mobile networks dont have the right frequencies.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
How do they add LTE support? I thought any carrier that can send out the right signal would work on iphone 5s. In the UK, people have said that only EE and 3 would ever be able to support LTE on iphone 5s because the other mobile networks dont have the right frequencies.

Most likely a carrier update allowing for additional carriers to enable LTE for the iPhone. There's a few carriers in Canada that still don't have LTE for iPhone because Apple hasn't "enabled" it.

quaresma

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
LTE requires new base stations. Not likely, with < 10.000.000 people in sweden.

LOL what are you talking about? Denmark has a population of 5.500.000 and yet we get LTE support next week.

You can't base LTE support on population count

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
LOL what are you talking about? Denmark has a population of 5.500.000 and yet we get LTE support next week.
Denmark has how many fjords (difficult locations)? Sweden has ≈ 21 people per square kilometre, and denmark has 130 people per square kilometre. That is one of the reasons why you get LTE in denmark.

You can't base LTE support on population count
I can. That is your problem. ;-)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
LTE sadly puts my home ISP speeds to shame. =(

I know what you mean! Until a much-needed upgrade a couple of years ago, 3G put my home speeds to shame. Since then the 3G network has become overcrowded and now Sprint puts my 3G speeds to shame...

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
Denmark has how many fjords (difficult locations)? Sweden has ≈ 21 people per square kilometre, and denmark has 130 people per square kilometre. That is one of the reasons why you get LTE in denmark.

But you DO get LTE in Sweden with Android and WP8 phones (and it was actually the first country in the world with an LTE network, launched in 2009), it's just that you cannot use it with Apple's products because Apple doesn't allow it. Perhaps it's because the iPhone or the iPad doesn't support all the necessary bands to operate in Sweden properly (2600/1800/800Mhz), but it really has nothing to do with Sweden's small population or people per square kilometre.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.