Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Adding features to a tablet doesn't make it no longer a tablet

Adding a camera to a laptop, and it's still a laptop.

Are you saying the macbook air that weighs less than 3 lbs are made for disabled people?

No I'm not saying feather light laptops are for the disabled (that was more for sarcasm). I just don't see the argument in NEEDING an ipad to be something other that what it is currently when we have laptops that do a better job at what they are designed for.

To be honest I think the surface simply gave me a bad attitute torwards the idea. Until I see it done absolutely right its all conceptual garbage to me.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I currently own an iPad Mini. However, I wish Apple comes out with a Pro version of the iPad/iPad Mini.

What's the pro version? Something that's more of a laptop/desktop replacement use for content creation. The current iPad isn't much different than a big iPod Touch. I mostly use the iPad for media consumption.

Here are some features I would like in the first Pro version:

1. A more advance version of iOS with multi-view and multi-tasking. Instead of switching from one app to another, you can have 2 apps open at the same time allowing you to move images, text, or whatever from one app to another.
2. Support for a pressure sensitive stylus for drawing, taking notes, and work related.
3. Better access to files on internal storage, external drives, or cloud services.
4. Must have a retina screen for a Pro version.

Kinda sad how many people are against improvement in this thread. I don't think any of your requests are unreasonable for a vanilla iPad, much less a pro one, if anything apple will fall farther behind if they don't address some of those points. Others don't understand how a tablet could replace a laptop, but that's more due to the ipads pedigree.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I don't see why he keeps hyping 10 hours of battery life.

If iOS was doing the stuff he wants it to do, he wouldn't be getting 10 hours from his iPad.

hyteckit

Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
I don't see why he keeps hyping 10 hours of battery life.

If iOS was doing the stuff he wants it to do, he wouldn't be getting 10 hours from his iPad.

Um... what? I get over 10 hours of use and 3 day standby time on my iPad Mini.

With my macbook, I'm lucky to get over 3 hours.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Um... what? I get over 10 hours of use and 3 day standby time on my iPad Mini.

With my macbook, I'm lucky to get over 3 hours.

If Apple put all of those features, the expanded multi-tastking and so forth, you wouldn't get 10hrs from your iPad anymore.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sure you would, I get that now out of a windows tablet.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Microsoft has kind of leap-frogged Apple when it comes to power efficiency on tablets. Your Windows 8 tablet is getting iPad-level battery life while having those things.

It's a bizarre change, really.

MNealBarrett

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
There are a lot of people eager to try running "Hackintosh" (OSX86) on Surface Pro tablets. If they succeed, it could embarrass Apple into releasing something like this. After all, imagine the egg on Apple's collective face if the only touchscreen "Macs" were made by Microsoft?

darkloki

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Orange County California
To the OP, I'm still trying to see/figure out what you do to require an Ipad Pro. I've understand your demands in terms of what a device has or should have. But I do not understand what applications you are running to require those demands. Software/applications needs to come before hardware otherwise it won't even be supported properly.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Microsoft has kind of leap-frogged Apple when it comes to power efficiency on tablets. Your Windows 8 tablet is getting iPad-level battery life while having those things.

It's a bizarre change, really.

Oh that's good news for me! A real OS and iPad like size, weight, price and battery life.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I currently own an iPad Mini. However, I wish Apple comes out with a Pro version of the iPad/iPad Mini.

What's the pro version? Something that's more of a laptop/desktop replacement use for content creation. The current iPad isn't much different than a big iPod Touch. I mostly use the iPad for media consumption.

Here are some features I would like in the first Pro version:

1. A more advance version of iOS with multi-view and multi-tasking. Instead of switching from one app to another, you can have 2 apps open at the same time allowing you to move images, text, or whatever from one app to another.
2. Support for a pressure sensitive stylus for drawing, taking notes, and work related.
3. Better access to files on internal storage, external drives, or cloud services.
4. Must have a retina screen for a Pro version.
The solution which includes a full file system & excellent multi-tasking already exists.

It's spelled A N D R O I D

A full featured stand alone hand held computer. It's not dependent on iTunes or a locked down ecosystem. That's why I use a Nexus 10 & 7, they're great grab & go options to my companion iPads.

Apple has its advantages & Android does too.

hyteckit

Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Software/applications needs to come before hardware otherwise it won't even be supported properly.

No. The hardware needs to come out first. The software is written to take advantage of the hardware.

----------

If Apple put all of those features, the expanded multi-tastking and so forth, you wouldn't get 10hrs from your iPad anymore.

And if you run games, you wouldn't get 10 hours either.

Using multi-view and expanded multi-tasking features is optional.

darkloki

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Orange County California
No. The hardware needs to come out first. The software is written to take advantage of the hardware.

----------

And if you run games, you wouldn't get 10 hours either.

Using multi-view and expanded multi-tasking features is optional.

Yeah I got confused in what I was trying to say, point is IPAD mini is Old Hardware, thus nothing really new is going to come out for it. You're just going to see Limitations upon limitations upon limitations amounting for this thing as we move forward, watch.... .

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
While I agree that the iPad and iPad mini could use some improvements, I don't think that the line should be split into a Pro and non-Pro lineup.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
The solution which includes a full file system & excellent multi-tasking already exists.

It's spelled A N D R O I D

A full featured stand alone hand held computer. It's not dependent on iTunes or a locked down ecosystem. That's why I use a Nexus 10 & 7, they're great grab & go options to my companion iPads.

Apple has its advantages & Android does too.

I'm not a big Android fan but I happen to agree. Apple simply will not (for the time being) produce a "Pro" tablet. There simply is a such a small market it just won't happen. If Samsung starts selling tons of Note 10.0s and Microsoft sells tons of Surface Pros then maybe but that isn't happening now and doesn't look to be happening.

That being said, I see tons of iPads all over the place at work. People use then in meetings for notes, take them to the shop floor to show the workers stuff, ect. About the only thing they can't do if engineering drawing and modeling. Something I wouldn't want to do on a tablet of any kind anyway.
Seems like most people this the iPad is "pro" enough already.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm not a big Android fan but I happen to agree. Apple simply will not (for the time being) produce a "Pro" tablet. There simply is a such a small market it just won't happen. If Samsung starts selling tons of Note 10.0s and Microsoft sells tons of Surface Pros then maybe but that isn't happening now and doesn't look to be happening.

That being said, I see tons of iPads all over the place at work. People use then in meetings for notes, take them to the shop floor to show the workers stuff, ect. About the only thing they can't do if engineering drawing and modeling. Something I wouldn't want to do on a tablet of any kind anyway.
Seems like most people this the iPad is "pro" enough already.

Actually as good as Android Jelly Bean 4.2.x is, as on my Nexus Trio consisting of a Nexus 4, 7 & 10. I remain a huge Apple Enthusiast. I'd like nothing better than to witness Apple reign in their ego & stubbornness long enough, to do what I _Know_ their capable of.

Give us a "Pro Series" of iOS Devices.
iPhone Pro, iPad Pro, & Mini Pro.

I'm so certain these would be in such high demand, thereby selling so well, they would make up for some of Apples revenue shrink, due to the current mini canabalizing iPad 4 sales.

As time passes & the use of tablets become more widespread a "Pro Series would give Apple a jump on the competition. Much like Googles "Nexus Series" it's time for Apple to step up and leapfrog them with a series of Pro Models. An easy feat for Apple to pull off.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Actually as good as Android Jelly Bean 4.2.x is, as on my Nexus Trio consisting of a Nexus 4, 7 & 10. I remain a huge Apple Enthusiast. I'd like nothing better than to witness Apple reign in their ego & stubbornness long enough, to do what I _Know_ their capable of.

Give us a "Pro Series" of iOS Devices.
iPhone Pro, iPad Pro, & Mini Pro.

I'm so certain these would be in such high demand, thereby selling so well, they would make up for some of Apples revenue shrink, due to the current mini canabalizing iPad 4 sales.

As time passes & the use of tablets become more widespread a "Pro Series would give Apple a jump on the competition. Much like Googles "Nexus Series" it's time for Apple to step up and leapfrog them with a series of Pro Models. An easy feat for Apple to pull off.

None of what he mentioned would make the iPad "pro". Personally I think the surface pro is what a "pro" series tablet should be and for about the right price. An iPad with OSX for $800-900 would sell like hoecakes and be more "pro" then anything described earlier.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
An iPad with OSX for $800-900 would sell like hoecakes and be more "pro" then anything described earlier.

I was speaking in general terms, configuration aside.

Your idea of specifics like using OS X is right on the money. I concur.

My point is for Apple to get out in front of this.

It's a golden opportunity for them to raise the bar & create the category of Pro Tablets.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
It's a golden opportunity for them to raise the bar & create the category of Pro Tablets.

Create the category? Actually, "pro" tablets have a much longer history than consumer ones. Remember Windows Tablet Edition? Full featured tablet PCs were released in 2002 and saw some meager popularity in the first half of the decade. They had many of the features that the OP wants (file system, pressure sensitive digitizer by wacom). In the long run, however, they failed miserably. There is simply not enough demand in the pro market to support the market segment.

The development of the limited, consumer-based iPad was a reaction to this failure of the "pro tablet" market. I do not see Apple ever doubling back into that space. As mentioned previously in the thread, however, the OP's dream of a "pro tablet" is alive and well at Microsoft and, to a lesser extent, Android.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Create the category? Actually, "pro" tablets have a much longer history than consumer ones. Remember Windows Tablet Edition? Full featured tablet PCs were released in 2002 and saw some meager popularity in the first half of the decade. They had many of the features that the OP wants (file system, pressure sensitive digitizer by wacom). In the long run, however, they failed miserably. There is simply not enough demand in the pro market to support the market segment.

The development of the limited, consumer-based iPad was a reaction to this failure of the "pro tablet" market. I do not see Apple ever doubling back into that space. As mentioned previously in the thread, however, the OP's dream of a "pro tablet" is alive and well at Microsoft and, to a lesser extent, Android.

The reason the original pro Windows tablets failed was really because they were to early. Same thing with the Newton. The market wasn't ready for a touch based device. The original iPhone and follow up iPhone and android phones helped get touchscreen devices into the mainstream.
If MS didn't screw up windows with Win8, they would have a chance to dominate this category. That being said, if Apple were to release an iPad with OSX they would dominate the market quickly.

Personally what I would like to see is Apple to do like MS. Create an iPad Pro in 3 sizes 32, 64, and 128 with MacBook Air parts. Then develop a great keyboard attachment to include with it. 800, 900, 1000. Then eliminate the MB Air and create a new MacBook "plastic" and at a 1100 price point. Large HDD and good processor, maybe cheap MacBook Pro type device. And then still have MacBook Pros.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I'd like to see some of these enhancements as well.

1. Allow for a split window or Picture-in-Picture view to let two apps run at once. It would add a lot of value to view one document or video while writing in another. I'd like to be able to read a PDF or website while creating another document.

2. Larger screen. A page size iPad would make that easier. Keep the same pixel resolution. This also makes it easier to VNC into a Mac at home while on the road.

3. Improved digitizer. Include support for a pressure sensitive stylus, higher resolution, faster pen mention.

4. Beef up iWorks. Lots of details here. Big one for me is I'd like to see Pages on iPad gain the layout mode of the OS X version.

This is not such a big leap from where the iPad is now. A larger size makes it easier to improve the digitizer. Allowing two apps to share the screen shouldn't drain the battery that much. A larger size also means a larger battery. They could also stagger the release dates for the mini, standard and pro through the year to avoid the big rush of orders that happen now when a new iPad is released.

I'm mixed on the file system idea. Dropbox, ProjectBook, Goodreader, Documents and others are maybe providing good enough support for now.

kitzuki

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
Why are people saying android tabs? Good luck on getting any updates past 6 months I have a Samsung 7 plus that's still waiting for ice cream sandwich. I will never buy another android tablet

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Sounds like you should just jailbreak your iPad. That's the best you're going to get without resorting to a Macbook Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.