Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
The iPhone is an incredible feat of engineering today. Remember what we had 10 years ago?

Now, think about what cool tech your grandfather grew up with. Or even your father. By todays standards, those things are.. well, crap. Huge TV's with bad image quality (not to mention the "no colour" part), and cellphones which basically were suitcases.

Colour revolutionized the television. And then the lcd screens came, and they became slim. And big (in the way that counts).

Touch has changed the phones together with big screens on a small platform. Of course, advancements in technology as in processing power have played it's part, but it isn't speed alone that changed.

When you have grandchildren, 20-40 years from now, how would they view the iPhone? What technology changed the game, and if Moore's law is to be believed, would they even have the patience to watch it boot?

And yes, I actually do find this interesting.

amazingamy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
A lot of people find it interesting and since technology is always expanding I'm pretty sure they will be laughing at the iPhone lol.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
The iPhone is an incredible feat of engineering today. Remember what we had 10 years ago?

Now, think about what cool tech your grandfather grew up with. Or even your father. By todays standards, those things are.. well, crap. Huge TV's with bad image quality (not to mention the "no colour" part), and cellphones which basically were suitcases.

Colour revolutionized the television. And then the lcd screens came, and they became slim. And big (in the way that counts).

Touch has changed the phones together with big screens on a small platform. Of course, advancements in technology as in processing power have played it's part, but it isn't speed alone that changed.

When you have grandchildren, 20-40 years from now, how would they view the iPhone? What technology changed the game, and if Moore's law is to be believed, would they even have the patience to watch it boot?

And yes, I actually do find this interesting.

Sad way to view the world.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
The time is takes to download things.

The amount of storage on the device.

The lack of features and power.

The fact there was actually local storage.

The cost.

The way it needed to be charged by plugging into the wall.

The sim card.

The speed.

The way it had to be turned of on aircraft.

Fact in some areas there was no connectivity.

Siri not being able to have actual conversation (today it just takes responses from a list of pre written ones, not think them up itself).

Will add more as I think of them.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The kids are not laughing at vinyl. They are even buying turntables! See them with huge retro headphones? They think is cool!

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008

Yes it is. It's the same as a man who wields a sword laughing at a man who wields a stick, or an older kid who can count to 20 laughs at one who can only counts to 10.

I don't see the point of laughing at older technology. Our ancestors started with stone table, and now we have iPad's, and what we have today depends on what our ancestors did in the past. Why be ungrateful?

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
You mean you had to wait for youtube to download?
You mean you had to charge it at night?
You really dropped a call sometimes?
What do you mean you couldn't take your phone swimming with you?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
The kids are not laughing at vinyl. They are even buying turntables! See them with huge retro headphones? They think is cool!

Yeh vinyl is cool because it is used by DJ's=party.

A PDA or blackberry from 10 years ago is not cool at all.

Completely different class of product.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
That you had to hold it in your hands.

That you had to interact with it with your hands.

That you had to instruct it what to do, as opposed to it just knowing.

That you had to sign into the web with "passwords."

That you had to create "usernames."

That you in real life was different from you on the internet.

That you had privacy.

That you even had anything to hide in the first place.

That you can't be presented with all a person's info when meeting them.

That you have to drive yourself.

That your house can't maintain itself.

That you had to go outside to experience the great outdoors.

That you're life is threatened when you get cancer.

That you can't grow new organs and replace them when yours get old.

That you don't have a chip implanted into your body to be connected to the internet at all times.

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Yeh vinyl is cool because it is used by DJ's=party.

A PDA or blackberry from 10 years ago is not cool at all.

Completely different class of product.

Vinyl isn't just for DJs. It has excellent sound quality, with the proper speakers.

----------

There's nothing sad about being amazed by technology and how it changes. It's pretty amazing what we have now, especially since I remember how it took hours to download one song, at 1KB/s.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I certainly hope that technology progresses so that our grandchildren will think of the iPhone as a quaint historic device. Things go also go the other way.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
I don't know you guys but I will be a cool dad/grandfather :) I will be living in technology and will never lose interest to beat my kids/grandsons in the games all the times and remain cool :D :D

I have a nice fantasy guys :D

hobx

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
To quote Back to the Future: "You mean you have to use your hands?"

I don't think its even twenty to fourty years away. 5 seems doable. If Google can get Glass right its going to be all change again....

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Scotty (ST5) saying to the mouse, Computer! :D

But obviously u kids are enthralled with technology. Is OK. The jury is still out whether these gadgets have made humanity happier.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Maybe they will have this....

4782567057_e7e6f9d63b.jpg

They "eyePhone"

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Realizing that we're not the most important things in the universe, that we're just one more step on the journey to the end of the universe...is sad? I'd call it humble, maybe modest or introspective. But not sad.

Yes it is. It's the same as a man who wields a sword laughing at a man who wields a stick, or an older kid who can count to 20 laughs at one who can only counts to 10.

I don't see the point of laughing at older technology. Our ancestors started with stone table, and now we have iPad's, and what we have today depends on what our ancestors did in the past. Why be ungrateful?

You really seem to have read this 100% the opposite of how I did.

When I see "hey, the future will be amazing and we can't even imagine it" I think that looks like someone being very humble, not arrogant as you seem to think. What part of "our life is small and will soon be washed away by time" says "arrogance" to you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.