Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
So my local Best Buy is selling two open box A&T white 16GB iPhones right now for $490.00. Was told both were returned in just a few days.

I want to put them on Straight Talk or Net 10 for myself and my wife. My question is, do they have to be unlocked, or will they work locked if I just switch out the sim?

They also have a 4S for $400, that I thought might be easier to pick up, since it doesn't have a nano sim, although Net 10 does sell them. Straight Talk requires you to get a cutter.

Wanting to know what I'm getting to exactly.

If I have to get them unlocked, any recommendations on EBAY before the listings go away?

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
So my local Best Buy is selling two open box A&T white 16GB iPhones right now for $490.00. Was told both were returned in just a few days.

I want to put them on Straight Talk or Net 10 for myself and my wife. My question is, do they have to be unlocked, or will they work locked if I just switch out the sim?

They also have a 4S for $400, that I thought might be easier to pick up, since it doesn't have a nano sim, although Net 10 does sell them. Straight Talk requires you to get a cutter.

Wanting to know what I'm getting to exactly.

If I have to get them unlocked, any recommendations on EBAY before the listings go away?

They'll work just fine locked. Just switch out the AT&T sim for a Net10 or ST sim. I purchased my iP5 from an AT&T store at full price and was using Net10 for a couple of weeks before unlocking it.

Since BestBuy is an authorized AT&T reseller and your buying the phones outright, simply contact AT&T to unlock them if you want. I did mine by chatting with an AT&T customer support rep online, and then restored it in iTunes. There's no need for you to pay someone.

btw, you can get both the Net10 SIM cards and unlimited airtime cards in store at BestBuy.

Last edited:

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I would still need to cut those sims though to nano size.

It's very easy. What I do is use the AT&T nano sim as a guide by putting a small piece of double-sided tape on top of it and placing it on the SIM to be cut - making sure to line up the bracket lines. Once lined up and stuck into place, just cut around it using some sharp scissors. Test fit it in the tray, and trim if necessary.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 63

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Appreciate all the help guys.

Will be going and picking both of those up. Seems like a steal...Two iPhone 5 for under $1000? Craiglist prices with a warranty.

Now the question is, ST or NET 10.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Now the question is, ST or NET 10.

They're the same. Straight Talk is just Walmart's own brand of Net10. They share the same price level, if you setup auto-pay with Net10, as well as the same parent company. Both use AT&T's network.

I went with Net10 because their SIMs are available in store at BestBuy, and I could trade-in a PS3 and digital camera there which paid for the SIM cards and three 30-day unlimited airtime cards. Basically, I could get the SIMs plus three months of service for nothing out of pocket is why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.