Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
The constant leaks is putting people off buying new generation phones/ipads meaning they are more likely to stick with what they have.

More so when Apple churn out two Ipads per year and they are already wanting Iphone 5S out before Iphone 5 has had a year.

Who wants to buy a 5 now if the 5S is around the corner (in less than a year, and in Apples unpredictable timescale right now..it could be anytime between next month and the summer).

Sloppy leaks and churning out new models out with the timeframe is why sales are flat.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm confused. Didn't the stock end the day up? The 10% drop was in after hours trading. How so we know it will end the day tomorrow down 10%? It could be more, but it could be less too. So can we really say they've lost $50B in market cap?

Of course after hours has less volume & is more volitile than the normal trading sessions so we'll see if the 10% slice sticks, but for now you can only get $467 real U.S. cash for a share of AAPL.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Do you still believe in the company? Think long term.

If yes, this might be a great buying opportunity.

Warren Buffet didn't become a billionaire daytrading

If you're talking about opportunity, it's about day trading. The difference between $430 and $700 is huge and affects the profits even long-term. In general, it's ideal to short when you think it's going to dip and long when you think it's going to rise.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Nobody said anything about tomorrow's closing price. The thing I've always been confused about is why people can trade while the market is closed. The market might as well be open during after-hours, as I see it.

From the main story:
Apple's 10% stock decline gives it a current market cap of $463.49 and a loss of nearly $50 billion in market capitalization from worried investors. Despite analysts and investors worries of year over year growth, the Wall Street Journal's Tom Gara notes that Apple's losses in market cap today roughly equal the value of two RIMs and two Nokias.

Apple didn't lose $50B in market cap on Wednesday. We don't know where it will end at close tomorrow. That's what I'm confused by.

swester

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
I almost sold at $700. All I had to do was click one final button but I changed my mind at the last second. :(

Well, you haven't lost anything until you sell. But yeah, the $700 peak seemed pretty obvious at the time. It definitely wasn't going any higher - after all, what new product would have pushed it above? The iPad mini?

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
they will badly need disruptive new product or at least leaps and bounds improvements to existing ones. And there are no winds of that for past couple years and counting.

Past couple of years? iPhone (2007), MacBook Air (2010), iPad (2010)
Please define "couple" because as far I remember, these disruptive new products only came out a few years ago.

I guess attention spans have become so short nowadays that 2010 seems like an eternity ago.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
As of now, yes, $50 billion.
Tomorrow it will be more or less, on paper.
I'm thinking we'll see a dead cat bounce as
bottom feeders pounce on a preceived buying opportunity.
Who calculates market cap based on after hours trading adjusted stock price?

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Now this is the proper test for Tim Cook. Will he give in to the analyst vultures or will he be going on the Apple way?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
By "concerns of flat growth" Wall Street means it has lack of faith Tim Cook can successfully launch the next big thing like Jobs could. Cook's tenure so far has been less than steller. In fact, it's almost HP-like.

I'm sure if your God jobs was still here apple would taking in a trillion in revenue

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Do you still believe in the company? Think long term.

If yes, this might be a great buying opportunity.

Warren Buffet didn't become a billionaire daytrading

Maybe he is thinking long term. In less than a year - Apple has lost huge points. It's not going to "skyrocket" overnight. It could very well take a long time to get back to 700. Thinking long term - he could have sold somewhere on the decline and re-bought right around now and taken the long ride back up again.

That's not day trading.

If he's in at $100 - buying now doesn't lower his total cost of ownership. But if he believes the stock will again rise - I agree - buying more "now" could be a great long term plan.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Well, you haven't lost anything until you sell. But yeah, the $700 peak seemed pretty obvious at the time. It definitely wasn't going any higher - after all, what new product would have pushed it above? The iPad mini?

So nothing's on the horizon that's causing great excitement which mean stocks will either stay where they are or drop more..am I right?

I need to learn more about this stuff.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Past couple of years? iPhone (2007), MacBook Air (2010), iPad (2010)
Please define "couple" because as far I remember, these disruptive new products only came out a few years ago.

I guess attention spans have become so short nowadays that 2010 seems like an eternity ago.

"couple" = 2

----------

So nothing's on the horizon that's causing great excitement which mean stocks will either stay where they are or drop more..am I right?

I need to learn more about this stuff.

You can't ever tell for sure unless you're an inside trader. In AAPL's case, if p''(t) is not greater than 0, there is a risk of analysts saying that Apple is doomed and causing selling. They're almost inside traders...

You can make money in the stock market without knowledge if you just pick the right companies based on instinct and hold them for a few years. I've actually pulled off day-trading with oil based on instinct somehow - it exploded like 40% in the weeks after I bought due to the Arab rebellions and dropped 15% the day after I sold. Not doing that again!

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Maybe he is thinking long term. In less than a year - Apple has lost huge points. It's not going to "skyrocket" overnight. It could very well take a long time to get back to 700. Thinking long term - he could have sold somewhere on the decline and re-bought right around now and taken the long ride back up again.

That's not day trading.

If he's in at $100 - buying now doesn't lower his total cost of ownership. But if he believes the stock will again rise - I agree - buying more "now" could be a great long term plan.

well yes, buying low selling high is the dream

not a reality though

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
this is good news for value investors. this over-pessimism gives us an opportunity to buy shares at a great price. a reasonable DCF valuation gives a fair value of about $630. 25% or more discount, I'm in. The financials are solid. Management seems very confident in their pipeline for this year. If the guidance Apple provides is reasonable, then I am interested in buying. I guess Apple products are still in favor, based on the numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.