Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Let's take Apple out of the picture for a moment.

Who else can we count on to deliver all these disruptive new products?

Sergey-Brin.jpg

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
The market is driven by future growth. Apple had a good quarter, but their numbers suggest a slowdown in that growth, and that's why you're seeing this massive sell off. I will buy the stock back once it drops to $420 or so, if we see resistance there. I was long aapl, saw it go from my basis of 200 to 705 and just sold today at 475. I'm not happy that I've watched aapl weigh on my holdings while the markets hit 5 year highs, but that's life. What is important is, apple needs to get their production under control and do something new. The same old stuff will just see stagnant growth. It doesn't mean apple is a bad company. It just means the days of the stock being the darling of investors may be over.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I see I've ruffled some feathers.
That's never happened before. :)
Yet I was the only one to answer the question.
I'm a solutions kind of guy. I can't help myself.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Let's take Apple out of the picture for a moment.

Who else can we count on to deliver all these disruptive new products?

Well without Steve you can count on anyone and that'd not be a bad bet. For one there is Google, but them notwithstanding there are lot of possibilities. Innovation has no defined path or history - it can popup out of blue from anywhere.

S

syd430

It didn't matter what Apple reported today, they could have announced a cure for cancer and Wall Street would have sold off the stock.

Equity prices are based on expectations, not what you personally think were reasonable numbers. Higher growth was already priced in to the stock, irrespective of the relative P/E of its peers. The expected rate of revenue growth built in to the stock is what is dissipating.

A company doesn't have to be anywhere near in the red for it's stock to plummet. But as usual, everyone here will just use Wall Street as a scapegoat when their inherently risky investment didn't perform the way it was expected.

Maybe all the armchair portfolio wizards in this thread should hold the market portfolio and leave the discretionary trading to the experts.

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
Going to $175 fairly soon, bank on it.

At the end of the day fundamentals are key. This whole economy is a joke, The whole market is saturated with QE, Twists, & cheap money. Wake up from your stupor people!!! THE STOCK MARKET IS NOT AN INDICATOR OF ECONOMIC PROSPERITY. The underlying problems facing this country will become much more apparent in the coming months. Hopium can only get you so far. What's about to happen in the Bond market is unimaginable. Think Subprime X 1000. Prepare yourself.

By the way I called this about 6 months ago on this site or 9to5. First $450 and eventually $175. You've been warned.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I cannot help feeling a bit sad for Tim Cook. It was a bit of a given that Apple may have suffered from a dip post-Steve Jobs. Running a company after such a tragic loss while at the top of its game with so much pressure, I'm surprised it has done this well. However, I agree that Apple needs to innovate more and stop following the markets, lead them. Jobs made a point in developing products based on idea's and not following the market/dollar, this lead to Apple taking more risks (and some failing) with a bigger payout.

It seems post-Jobs Apple is falling apart. The last year has seen many top executives departing Apple, with OS X VP Software Engineering Bertrand Serlet leaving pre-Lion 10.7 with no one taking his place until last October. Forstall, Johnson, Bertrand, and of course Jobs were huge in developing Apple into what it is presently. Ive has been with Apple before Jobs, while I admire his work and he has been a key player, even with his rock hard antics, Jobs kept the team together.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
No, the picture refers to the man wearing the glasses, some random guy.

some random guy? he's sergay brin, a co-founder of google that thinks he's all cool with his $1000 video cam (aka google project glass)

Renzatic

Suspended
It took 17 years for the industry to go beyond the PC to the hit MP3 player and then it took 6-7 years for the best smartphone to come out. What is wrong with you all?

This. You can't expect iPhone/iPad type disruptions every year. Shake ups of that magnitude are a once a decade occurrence at best.

We're in the midst of the mobile revolution here. We're producing computers so thin, light, and powerful, they'd almost seem like a science fiction nerd fantasy not even 6 years ago. Our cell phones are almost as powerful as consoles 10 times their size. The entire industry is still in the process of shifting and changing.

...yet here we are, pundits, fans, and stockbrokers alike, awaiting the next big thing. Seemingly unaware that the last big thing is still chugging along full speed ahead.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
A company doesn't have to be anywhere near in the red for it's stock to plummet. But as usual, everyone here will just use Wall Street as a scapegoat when their inherently risky investment didn't perform the way you expected.

Maybe all the Armchair portfolio wizards in this thread should hold the market portfolio and leave the discretionary trading to the experts.

It's fine to blame the analysts as long as the analysts turn out to be wrong later. If the price goes up later, it was under-valued, and the analysts were wrong. If the analysts change their stance, they are half-wrong. Also consider the fact that the analysts themselves affect the price significantly.

I remember hearing on the radio about some huge investor who placed a large bet against the US economy (probably shorting the S&P500, but I forget). It's improved a lot since he did that :D

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
...yet here we are, pundits, fans, and stockbrokers alike, awaiting the next big thing. Seemingly unaware that the last big thing is still chugging along full speed ahead.

Excellent points, well stated. While I have been rather vocal with others regarding Apple's lack of focus in power systems, I cannot ignore the strides they have made and their current evolution.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Now this is the proper test for Tim Cook. Will he give in to the analyst vultures or will he be going on the Apple way?

In my opinion, he's a cool cat who doesn't seem to be intimidated by all those "analyst vultures" and with all that amazing talent behind him, he will go on, working behind the scenes on the next generation of products without skipping a beat. If it wasn't for those damned leaks all the time, we could still be amazed from time to time.

Maybe he should just find himself a dedicated supply-chain guru, much like he was to SJ.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I cannot help feeling a bit sad for Tim Cook. It was a bit of a given that Apple may have suffered from a dip post-Steve Jobs. Running a company after such a tragic loss while at the top of its game with so much pressure, I'm surprised it has done this well. However, I agree that Apple needs to innovate more and stop following the markets, lead them. Jobs made a point in developing products based on idea's and not following the market/dollar, this lead to Apple taking more risks (and some failing) with a bigger payout.

It seems post-Jobs Apple is falling apart. The last year has seen many top executives departing Apple, with OS X VP Software Engineering Bertrand Serlet leaving pre-Lion 10.7 with no one taking his place until last October. Forstall, Johnson, Bertrand, and of course Jobs were huge in developing Apple into what it is presently. Ive has been with Apple before Jobs, while I admire his work and he has been a key player, even with his rock hard antics, Jobs kept the team together.

Yes and they seem to have run out of ideas..it's fine keeping it all the same but they need some innovation soon to keep in the game or they will lose to Android.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If $13.1 billion in quarterly profits and record revenue is disappointing I hope I disappoint at work a lot in the future.

swester

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
I don't see how that was obvious at all... you had the iPhone 5 and potentially the iPad mini and a new TV. Quite a few people thought Apple peaked throughout their runup to 700 and got burned. There's no way to know this stuff for sure. People who study this stuff for a living are often wrong.

Even now, who's to say they won't quickly get back up to $600 or $700 or even higher? The year's just begun and Apple has China Mobile and NTT DoCoMo in its sights along with over 200 carriers that still don't carry the iPhone. And by adding T-Mobile to the mix, they're likely to dominate US smartphones for awhile... just a few years ago, some people were saying that Apple lost to Android in the US and wouldn't recover.

What about the iPhone 5 and iPad mini scream revolutionary to you? There's been nothing even close to official about the TV product yet, so that's a total unknown.

Remember: for AAPL during the 2000s, under Jobs, everything was disruptive and unprecedented for Apple. An MP3 player, a music store, a phone, an app store, a tablet, and so on. Since the iPad, every new release has basically just been an incremental update. And while the products are selling fantastically well, there comes a point where its capability to disrupt is fading.

Again, don't get me wrong - Apple is an exceptionally strong company. But so are Microsoft, Google, and countless other industry giants whose stock prices grow incrementally rather than exponentially once they've hit a certain maturity and market saturation.

67bmer

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Goodbye AAPL!

its just amazing how fast things have changed. In three months wall st. has gone from amazing to history.

You could not even walk into a store and buy an iPhone 5 two months ago!

Now its a 1 trick pony that is all but history. Macs -growth! iPods -growth. iPad (the product that changed computing) -growth. iPhone -barely keeping up with android.

I just hope I can get out while its still > $450.... One analyst on CNBC Fast Money predicted $425 last year. Now he is saying its inevitable before the end of the quarter. Maybe even this week or next!!!

The street has turned. Stocks are stocks and companies are companies. The two are independent. AAPL is without question now a broken stock but still a great company.

BTW, according to my calculations, $145.74/share in cash. So at $300 it should be like in 2009 when you could buy at $90 with nearly $50 in cash. But there is no growth on the horizon like there was in 2009... :-(

3-D printing is where its at now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.