Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
By "concerns of flat growth" Wall Street means it has lack of faith Tim Cook can successfully launch the next big thing like Jobs could. Cook's tenure so far has been less than steller. In fact, it's almost HP-like.

Yes. Starting to look that way. IMO, Tim seemed annoyed at times during the call.

Although I'm fine with Apple's Q1. Great numbers for a very complex Q.

APPL will be $550 by 4:30p Thursday. :apple:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Same here :(

Be a long term investor. Stocks go up and down on a whim. As irrationally positive as the market was last year it is irrationally negative this year. It all works out in the end. Most companies, including Samsung and Google would gladly trade places with Apple right now.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Apple is becoming Microsoft - or at least that's the fear. They sell a ton of their cash cow products and make good money - but that's just resting on their laurels. Where the hell is any innovation and disruption? People respect Apple for exactly that. Making profits on cash cows - that spot is for Microsoft.

The thing is they will sell some more iPads and iPhones but then when that's saturated they will badly need disruptive new product or at least leaps and bounds improvements to existing ones. And there are no winds of that for past couple years and counting.

Apple needs to think of ways to bring in new customers who are not Apple users. Android is selling like crazy, too. What will Apple need to do to bring an Android user over?

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Yes and they seem to have run out of ideas..it's fine keeping it all the same but they need some innovation soon to keep in the game or they will lose to Android.

I don't see any innovations coming from Google with Android. Really, other than incremental changes, there is nothing new in Android phones and tablets.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Flat Growth???

iPhone sales still grew 39% yoy. iPad sales grew 49% yoy. Macs down 1.1m (obviously since they stopped selling iMacs as soon as they announced new iMacs, and even when the new iMacs became available, there wasn't enough to go around, and with no new Mac Pro, they probably sold very little desktops).
They beat their guidance and beat analyst estimates. Revenue was a slight miss (you can blame iMacs for this). Next quarter will be a monster quarter for macs. Mac mini will also show its true sales potential.

Also, the company is trading 3.5X cash and about 8X earnings. Fundamentals will kick in eventually. If anyone had the cash, they would take over this company just based on those numbers.

Now, about flat growth. Ask yourself this. Will iPhone 5 outsell iPhone 4S? Yes! Will iPhone 5S outsell iPhone 5? Yes, just because they will not have supply chain issues than. Will iPhone 6 outsell iPhone 5S? Yes because it will be a new design with new hardware features.

Will iPad sales keep going up? Guaranteed! iPad mini at $329 will maintain majority marketshare this year. Next year iPad Mini 2 will be $329, and last gen iPad mini will probably be sold for $249, breaking through yet another price barrier, giving android no chance to compete above $200.

Mac sales will never go down again. Mac Pro will be updated this year as promised. MBA with Retina will be a hit. And iMacs wont go on a 3 month hiatus on the next update since it will retain the same design. Oh, and Windows 8 is loved by everyone on Earth, NOT!

Ok, just based off of all the things I have listed, there is nothing to worry about as an investor, except your own patience, and what I have listed alone guarantees Apple huge growth for years to come!!!

BUT, how about NEEEWWW products. There are so many product categories Apple is yet the dominate.
iTV - This could be big. Hey even if it is not, it will still sell 10m+ every year just because of how well it will integrate with all of your other Apple devices.
iWatch - This could be huge. At the right price point, we can see millions of people wearing iWatches if Apple comes out with something cool.
Arm Based MBA - A $500 MBA based off of A7 or A8 processor bury Microsoft.
iGlasses - Wearable smart glasses will definitely be a huge hit in the future as we seen a preview of what it is from Google.

Also, APPL might have a stock split this year, to get into the Dow Jones. Than the law of large numbers wont apply to the share price anymore, and could easily boost to stock to trade 15-20X share like it should, considering that this company is still a GROWTH company.

I am writing all of this because I am fed up with the stock manipulation of Apple. If the price of the stock goes any lower, Apple should just go private and buy all of its shares. If Apple as a company was torn apart right now, their cash intellectual property, retail stores, and inventory would be worth more than its market cap. Apple investors, stop listening to the media who don't own the stock, and so called analyst who know nothing about Apple.

Apple maps fiasco? Hmm. If you don't like Apple maps, download one of many free or payed GPS applications out there, and if you cant do that good luck with Android!

Scratch gate? Since when is any electronic scratch proof?

Boring OS? Just row of iCons? Than how come Windows was so successful for decades, and now they are getting bashed for changing their UI now?

Thank you for reading.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Yes. Starting to look that way. IMO, Tim seemed annoyed at times during the call.

Although I'm fine with Apple's Q1. Great numbers for a very complex Q.

APPL will be $550 by 4:30p Thursday. :apple:

Hah. If it goes up $100 tomorrow I will gladly eat my left shoe. I wish that would be the case, but it is going to be some time, if not a long time, before Apple sees $500 a gain, much less $550.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
What about the iPhone 5 and iPad mini scream revolutionary to you? There's been nothing even close to official about the TV product yet, so that's a total unknown.

Remember: for AAPL during the 2000s, under Jobs, everything was disruptive and unprecedented for Apple. An MP3 player, a music store, a phone, an app store, a tablet, and so on. Since the iPad, every new release has basically just been an incremental update. And while the products are selling fantastically well, there comes a point where its capability to disrupt is fading.

Again, don't get me wrong - Apple is an exceptionally strong company. But so are Microsoft, Google, and countless other industry giants whose stock prices grow incrementally rather than exponentially once they've hit a certain maturity and market saturation.

The iPhone was introduced more than 5 YEARS after the iPod. In between we had incremental improvements. People are holding Tim Cook to an unrealistic standard.

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
living the dream. this is like saying if i put the right lotto numbers instead of the wrong one, i would've made millions of dollars.

not really. investing is nothing like the lotto. main thing to know is diversification, then that guy wouldn't have been so screwed. think of a stock as ownership in a business. as long as the business is reasonably profitable and financially stable as Apple is, there is value in ownership. of course, the guy who bought at a period of over-optimism (bad idea) will take longer to recover his original investment, it could take years. in the meantime, he'll receive a modest dividend. most people are better off buying a fund that tracks the market while reading the Intelligent Investor.

best thing for that guy to do is sell if there's a spike in price, don't wash sale, and wait for unimpressive earnings, bad news in a solid company, or for the market to go down b/c of something like debt concerns. then you'll get bargains.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Guys listen its very simple. Aapl is not coming back. You can forget about it. The stock went up. It was all the craze. It ballooned way too high. And it burst. That's it. It's gone. Buy something else.

Now apple, they'll be fine. I'm looking forward to iPhone 6, 7, 8, 1082810, etc.

I'm looking forward to the TV coming out

And I'll probably buy the next mini.

But the stock? Forget about it folks. Technicals are broken. Fundamentals are broken. This. Stock. Is. DEAD.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
If we didn't have "analysts" (and I'm putting the term in quotations, as their analysis seems nothing more than conjecture and/or manipulation) putting up these inflated predictions, would the stock keep dropping with these types of numbers?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Guys listen its very simple. Aapl is not coming back. You can forget about it. The stock went up. It was all the craze. It ballooned way too high. And it burst. That's it. It's gone. Buy something else.

Now apple, they'll be fine. I'm looking forward to iPhone 6, 7, 8, 1082810, etc.

I'm looking forward to the TV coming out

And I'll probably buy the next mini.

But the stock? Forget about it folks. Technicals are broken. Fundamentals are broken. This. Stock. Is. DEAD.

I disagree. It won't grow at the same rate as it did between 2008-2011, but I think it is in a different position from say, Microsoft, in 1999. The DOJ isn't investigating Apple to a significant degree, as it was with Microsoft in 1999. China is still a huge growth market. Microsoft wasn't trading at 9 times earnngs in 1999. Microsoft didn't have $137 billion of cash in the bank.

Don't expect to see $1000 or even $700 in a year, but don't expect to see $250 either.

YourAvgUser

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Apple needs to think of ways to bring in new customers who are not Apple users. Android is selling like crazy, too. What will Apple need to do to bring an Android user over?

Budget phone, not a joke. All things considered, that's the market they are missing. And by budget phone, I don't mean reselling last year's iPhone. There was a Forbes article about capturing a larger piece of the China market if they had a budget phone b/c of avg household income. Besides that, people love cheap and free new things.

But I hope Apple doesn't do it. It'd be uncharacteristic of them and Apple would lose some of its luster on the higher end.

The other is expansion, despite iPhone and iPad being available in so many countries, its still vastly limited when compared to Android phones.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The history doesn't matter. Whatever price someone buys at is the price from which he expects the stock to go up, and whatever price someone does NOT buy at is the price from which he expects it to go down... in theory. Of course, people would only trade the stocks they're looking at, and trade commissions limit who can trade and when, but you're apparently monitoring AAPL, and I just have to assume that you're buying in enough quantity to overcome $20 in commission.

You said "if that's your target buy point, I can see why you like it when Apple does stuff wrong."

That's a judgement call. For example - maybe I'm in at $100 a share now. Naturally I want the stock to keep climbing. I don't want to see Apple do "stuff wrong" However - maybe I plan on capitalizing when/if the stock does go below a certain threshold. Just to pick up additional shares. That doesn't MEAN I like when Apple does stuff wrong. Again - that's your value judgement on me. Might I prefer that Apple does really really well and my original shares are just worth a lot more money? See my point?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I cannot help feeling a bit sad for Tim Cook. It was a bit of a given that Apple may have suffered from a dip post-Steve Jobs. Running a company after such a tragic loss while at the top of its game with so much pressure, I'm surprised it has done this well. However, I agree that Apple needs to innovate more and stop following the markets, lead them. Jobs made a point in developing products based on idea's and not following the market/dollar, this lead to Apple taking more risks (and some failing) with a bigger payout.

It seems post-Jobs Apple is falling apart. The last year has seen many top executives departing Apple, with OS X VP Software Engineering Bertrand Serlet leaving pre-Lion 10.7 with no one taking his place until last October. Forstall, Johnson, Bertrand, and of course Jobs were huge in developing Apple into what it is presently. Ive has been with Apple before Jobs, while I admire his work and he has been a key player, even with his rock hard antics, Jobs kept the team together.

I have confidence that as each day goes by, Tim Cook will become a better leader. Jony Ivy is in helm of the software department so im very excited what he will bring

1Alec1

macrumors regular
You said "if that's your target buy point, I can see why you like it when Apple does stuff wrong."

That's a judgement call. For example - maybe I'm in at $100 a share now. Naturally I want the stock to keep climbing. I don't want to see Apple do "stuff wrong" However - maybe I plan on capitalizing when/if the stock does go below a certain threshold. Just to pick up additional shares. That doesn't MEAN I like when Apple does stuff wrong. Again - that's your value judgement on me. Might I prefer that Apple does really really well and my original shares are just worth a lot more money? See my point?

If you are holding right now, then you think it will go up, but if you're waiting for it to go down to $350 before you buy, then you think it will go down, otherwise you would buy right now. But if you think it will go down to $350, you should sell the ones you bought at $100/share. So there's conflicting logic.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Flat Growth???

iPhone sales still grew 39% yoy. iPad sales grew 49% yoy. Macs down 1.1m (obviously since they stopped selling iMacs as soon as they announced new iMacs, and even when the new iMacs became available, there wasn't enough to go around, and with no new Mac Pro, they probably sold very little desktops).
They beat their guidance and beat analyst estimates. Revenue was a slight miss (you can blame iMacs for this). Next quarter will be a monster quarter for macs. Mac mini will also show its true sales potential.

Also, the company is trading 3.5X cash and about 8X earnings. Fundamentals will kick in eventually. If anyone had the cash, they would take over this company just based on those numbers.

Now, about flat growth. Ask yourself this. Will iPhone 5 outsell iPhone 4S? Yes! Will iPhone 5S outsell iPhone 5? Yes, just because they will not have supply chain issues than. Will iPhone 6 outsell iPhone 5S? Yes because it will be a new design with new hardware features.

Will iPad sales keep going up? Guaranteed! iPad mini at $329 will maintain majority marketshare this year. Next year iPad Mini 2 will be $329, and last gen iPad mini will probably be sold for $249, breaking through yet another price barrier, giving android no chance to compete above $200.

Mac sales will never go down again. Mac Pro will be updated this year as promised. MBA with Retina will be a hit. And iMacs wont go on a 3 month hiatus on the next update since it will retain the same design. Oh, and Windows 8 is loved by everyone on Earth, NOT!

Ok, just based off of all the things I have listed, there is nothing to worry about as an investor, except your own patience, and what I have listed alone guarantees Apple huge growth for years to come!!!

BUT, how about NEEEWWW products. There are so many product categories Apple is yet the dominate.
iTV - This could be big. Hey even if it is not, it will still sell 10m+ every year just because of how well it will integrate with all of your other Apple devices.
iWatch - This could be huge. At the right price point, we can see millions of people wearing iWatches if Apple comes out with something cool.
iGlasses - Wearable smart glasses will definitely be a huge hit in the future as we seen a preview of what it is from Google.

Also, APPL might have a stock split this year, to get into the Dow Jones. Than the law of large numbers wont apply to the share price anymore, and could easily boost to stock to trade 15-20X share like it should, considering that this company is still a GROWTH company.

I am writing all of this because I am fed up with the stock manipulation of Apple. If the price of the stock goes any lower, Apple should just go private and buy all of its shares. If Apple as a company was torn apart right now, their cash intellectual property, retail stores, and inventory would be worth more than its market cap. Apple investors, stop listening to the media who don't own the stock, and so called analyst who know nothing about Apple.

Apple maps fiasco? Hmm. If you don't like Apple maps, download one of many free or payed GPS applications out there, and if you cant do that good luck with Android!

Boring OS? Just row of iCons? Than how come Windows was so successful for decades, and now they are getting bashed for changing their UI now?

Thank you for reading.

I agree with 80% of what you wrote but I'm still nervous.

swester

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
The iPhone was introduced more than 5 YEARS after the iPod. In between we had incremental improvements. People are holding Tim Cook to an unrealistic standard.

Yes, except you're leaving out the iTunes store. That came in between the two, and it was as disruptive as the iPod itself (arguably, it was what made the iPod so revolutionary).

Cook is being held to the standard of Jobs himself. You are correct; that is an unrealistic standard.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Flat Growth???

Thank you for reading.

Nice to read something with a bit more positive spin on it, for a change; although always interesting to read other people's take on what's current and newsworthy, sometimes these forums can get a bit too bleak and negative in their tone.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
I'm confused. Didn't the stock end the day up? The 10% drop was in after hours trading. How so we know it will end the day tomorrow down 10%? It could be more, but it could be less too. So can we really say they've lost $50B in market cap?

After hours AAPL stock is down 50 dollars. Not good. Apple is making a good margin in profit but not growing and thats the problem. They are stagnant and everyone has a IOS device and its starting to hurt the company.

S

syd430

No. See my post here

If Apple as a company was torn apart right now, their cash intellectual property, retail stores, and inventory would be worth more than its market cap. Apple investors, stop listening to the media who don't own the stock, and so called analyst who know nothing about Apple.

No. You are confusing book value per share with the market price. The market price is almost always different because of expectations of future cash flows, but you knew that already, didn't you. Again, see my post here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.