Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Could the reason be they released Iphone 5 11 months into the Iphone 4S lifespan when Iphone 4 got over a year?

I think if Apple rush out another Iphone it will backfire. They would be better working on IOS7 and making that better.

Other reasons for the flop could be adding lightning people may not wish to change to that as it means switching accessories. I've heard the odd complaint about it being too big but I think these are in the minority.

I think weak advertising never helped. The thumb add never worked they should have been more wow Iphone is better than ever before and showed how good it's web looked on the 4" screen like some older Iphone ads. They should have also showed panorama being taken on the phone with IOPS6's new interface. Some people think the 5 looks like the 4 but if you actually see them close up you can spot the differences so perhaps Apple should have made the ad with the Iphone 4S and 5 side by side. So to summarize I think Apple's slow uptake is down to the lightning, failure to convert everybody 4" is better than 3.5" and poor advertising + the early release.

Another Iphone soon would ultimately be a flop I think Apple has to push Iphone 5 more and focus on the 4G it has over rivals and the previous 4S. Also I bet these leaks of a new Iphone every week isn't helping..what more it's because since 2011 most leaks have been true. We use to read how amazing the 3GS was we rarely heard a peep of Iphone 4.

People talk about the next Iphone these days not the current one..only due to sloppy leaks.

Last edited:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
What flop? iPhone 5 is already the fastest selling iPhone ever. That means faster selling than the 4S and 4 were. That's even with the constrained supply that lasted until around November. The front page article says this was the best quarter ever for Apple in iPhone sales.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
What flop? iPhone 5 is already the fastest selling iPhone ever. That means faster selling than the 4S and 4 were. That's even with the constrained supply that lasted until around November. The front page article says this was the best quarter ever for Apple in iPhone sales.

There's been talk of cutting demand for Iphone 5 due to slow sales ect..:confused:

Stack Overflow

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
Is the reason for Iphones slow sales because they are releasing it too early?

What slow sales?

People are buying 3.5" and 4" iPhones. They are buying 4's, 4S's, and 5's. Why do people seem to think Apple has to convince people to buy the 5? If they want a 4/4S, be it for price or any other reason, why should Apple tell them they are wrong? "Hey, don't buy our product!" What???

The iPhone 5 is off to the best start of any iPhone, of any phone, ever. Apple is selling more iPhones than ever.

I don't even understand your post.

"In light of Apple's best quarter ever, why are they doing so poorly?" :confused:

----------

There's been talk of cutting demand for Iphone 5 due to slow sales ect..:confused:
No one with any factual information has ever made that statement.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Could the reason be they released Iphone 5 11 months into the Iphone 4S lifespan when Iphone 4 got over a year?

I think if Apple rush out another Iphone it will backfire. They would be better working on IOS7 and making that better.

Other reasons for the flop could be adding lightning people may not wish to change to that as it means switching accessories. I've heard the odd complaint about it being too big but I think these are in the minority.

I think weak advertising never helped. The thumb add never worked they should have been more wow Iphone is better than ever before and showed how good it's web looked on the 4" screen like some older Iphone ads. They should have also showed panorama being taken on the phone with IOPS6's new interface. Some people think the 5 looks like the 4 but if you actually see them close up you can spot the differences so perhaps Apple should have made the ad with the Iphone 4S and 5 side by side. So to summarize I think Apple's slow uptake is down to the lightning, failure to convert everybody 4" is better than 3.5" and poor advertising + the early release.

Another Iphone soon would ultimately be a flop I think Apple has to push Iphone 5 more and focus on the 4G it has over rivals and the previous 4S. Also I bet these leaks of a new Iphone every week isn't helping..what more it's because since 2011 most leaks have been true. We use to read how amazing the 3GS was we rarely heard a peep of Iphone 4.

People talk about the next Iphone these days not the current one..only due to sloppy leaks.

That report was fake and adressed by mr.Cook in the earnings call. The iPhone 5 is selling very well and was sold out for october and november.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

You posted this at 09:30/2130 EST. How in the world do you write such a long post a out a rumor for 2 weeks ago and there are no less than three articles on the front page describing how Apples quarter went?????????????????????:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek:

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010

It said online sales are slow bc they had to cut production.

Back to OP, I think you're right. Like if I buy an iPhone 5 on Jan 1, and 6 months later on Jun 1 iPhone 6 is out

Either: I'll wait for 6.

Or if I already bought iPhone 5, wait another 6 months for iPhone 7.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012

It's true, they didn't market it as strongly as the previous phones, and they didn't market the iPad 4 at all. :(

I really loved the 4S and iPad 3 marketing. It was their best marketing ever.

Last edited:

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
It said online sales are slow bc they had to cut production.

Back to OP, I think you're right. Like if I buy an iPhone 5 on Jan 1, and 6 months later on Jun 1 iPhone 6 is out

Either: I'll wait for 6.

Or if I already bought iPhone 5, wait another 6 months for iPhone 7.

Step away from the keyboard. You're not doing yourself any favors by continuing to post.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
It's true, they didn't market it as strongly as the previous phones, and they didn't market the iPad 4 at all. :(

I really loved the 4S and iPad 3 marketing. It was their best marketing ever.

You guys can't be serious. This is a joke right or did everyone skip the main page(and every other tech site) where there is actual news about this and rush in here to with the mindset of "let me see what I can post that's complete BS" :rolleyes:

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
If Apple releases a bigger iPhone, they will lose developers. I mean there's only about 17 apps that use Passbook. That blows my mind.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
ERMAHGERD! I BOUGHTS A NEW IPHONE AND NOW THERE'S A NEW ONE SIX MONTHS LATER!

Oh wait. My iPhone still works.

I've been bitten by the upgrade bug a couple of times. First time is when I was a switcher and bought a Mac mini. Five weeks later, the Intel switch happened. That was kind of big. Then about a year later when I got a MacBook Pro, a refresh happened six months later.

So after that, I started to learn how to read Apple's upgrade cycles. Each iPhone and iPad I have bought -- except when I got a refurb first-gen for $250 because most of us weren't insane enough to spend $600 -- has been right on release date.

I bought this iMac in the middle of a cycle because the aforementioned MacBook Pro died. I was not in the mood to be with only an iPad 2 and iPhone 4 as my computing stuff at home. I had planned on buying an iMac for my next computer since I was using a notebook less, so I found one at Best Buy with 24 months same as cash.

I'm eligible for an iPhone upgrade in June. I know the rumors about the next iPhone perhaps coming then, so my next iPhone will be the next iPhone. It's just when Apple releases it. Similarly, I want to get a MacBook Air. They're a little long in the tooth, so I'll wait for either the next revision or the one after that. It just depends on what gets changed.

The moral is you know what you're buying when you buy it. Don't expect it to be cutting edge for more than a couple of months. Even when a new model is out, that doesn't make your phone worthless. My iPhone 4S runs fine, but I could really use LTE and 64GB of storage. Still doesn't make my 4S crap.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I do think the carriers are being more strict about enforcing their upgrade policies (no more full upgrades after 12 months) which means most people can't afford to upgrade annually and that has to have some effect on U.S. sales. Great for the carriers, not so great for Apple.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I do feel that the media is desperately looking to portray Apple as falling in popularity and sales even though there is no evidence to date for that. They are looking for another RIM to write about. The corresponding fall in stock price has been almost entirely irrational. (I don't own any Apple stock btw)

I don't think "early" releases of the iPhone would cause a dip in popularity. It may be necessary given the stiff competition out there now.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I do feel that the media is desperately looking to portray Apple as falling in popularity and sales even though there is no evidence to date for that. They are looking for another RIM to write about. The corresponding fall in stock price has been almost entirely irrational. (I don't own any Apple stock btw)

I agree.

If the media doesn't sensationalize things, then there's nothing to write.

Does the public really want to read about something that just works?

This is Apple not Stanley the tool maker.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Oops sorry. 23 Y'ALL.

:rolleyes:

Actually the number is around 140 or so. Not all are useful but its more than 20.

That's the problem with forums. So many people posting misinformation that you have to double check almost everything. Wanting to appear knowledgable and quick to post before actually checking to see if what they are writing is true or not. Kind of like that WSJ article huh. :eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.