Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If Apple focused on 1 thing in iOS 7

• New/updated UI (stock apps, homescreen, lockscreen)

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • Improved services (Maps, Siri, iCloud, iTunes Match)

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Updates to productivity apps/features (Multitasking, Calendar, Notes, Reminders)

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Updates to communication apps/features (iMessage, Mail, FaceTime, Contacts, Do Not Disturb)

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Better organizing and management (Notifications, Folders, Photos)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More user control (Quick settings, Notification Center widgets, Restrictions, Accessibility)

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Better typing and keyboard (Gesture typing, Autocorrect)

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Better connectivity (AirDrop, AirPlay, AirPrint, Syncing)

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other (state in comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
What would you like them to take time to 'get it right'?

Listed the general categories and some apps/features that apply to it.

(1) New/updated UI (stock apps, homescreen, lockscreen)

(2) Improved services (Maps, Siri, iCloud, iTunes Match)

(3) Updates to productivity apps/features (Multitasking, Calendar, Notes, Reminders)

(4) Updates to communication apps/features (iMessage, Mail, FaceTime, Contacts, Do Not Disturb)

(5) Better organizing and management (Notifications, Folders, Photos)

(6) More user control (Quick settings, Notification Center widgets, Restrictions, Accessibility)

(7) Better typing and keyboard (Gesture typing*, Autocorrect)

(8) Better connectivity (AirDrop*, AirPlay, AirPrint, Syncing)

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
(9) Fixing and getting everything to work as it has already been promised.

I year you. I want the best possible product with the innovations they have already come out with. I want Siri to be useful, I want Maps to be fixed. Fix what's out already, then give us new stuff in 7.1 :p

I'd be happy with a quick reply text system like BiteSMS in 7.0

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Better UI, better user controls, better management, better maps and Siri, and for them to stop drip-feeding us features that other phones have had for ages.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
All that has been listed. In short, I want Apple to make all the important features work properly and consistently before they add flash new but half-baked features for us to troubleshoot and complain about here!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
for them to stop drip-feeding us features that other phones have had for ages.
That's pretty much how I feel. They seem to hold back of late and then market features that are simply new to iOS like its some form of revolutionary move. I'm happy when we get new features but I'm not stupid enough to believe many of them aren't being used elsewhere. The Orchestra advert on British TV at the moment surprised me. I was astonished that noise cancelling technology was somehow new to the iPhone 5, as I've had it on phones in the past. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with my phone, but some of Apples marketing annoys me somewhat. :)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Better connectivity. Especially with other Apple devices. Things like...

• Starting a FaceTime call on the Mac, then with the tap of a button having it automatically transfer to your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch.
  • Being able to toggle HomeShared media between playing on your computer, the device your using, or your AppleTV. (basically merging it with the remote app functionality)
  • Having notifications shared amongst other devices on the same network, so that you could see incoming calls on your desktop or have your iPhone alert you when the Mac in the other room has finished downloading a file.
  • Displaying separate, optimized views for web sites AirPlayed to your TV

So much could be done in just this one area.

Last edited:

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I year you. I want the best possible product with the innovations they have already come out with. I want Siri to be useful, I want Maps to be fixed. Fix what's out already, then give us new stuff in 7.1 :p

I'd be happy with a quick reply text system like BiteSMS in 7.0

If that was the case it wouldn't be iOS 7, it'd be 6.2 :)

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I want Apple to rethink Passbook. I was very excited for this feature when iOS 6 was announced, since I thought it would drastically reduce the contents of my wallet by installing loyalty cards from the App Store. Unfortunately this was not the case, and I still have to install company Apps just to transfer a lousy coupon! I don't know if what I proposed is feasible, but right now Apple's current approach is a flop and there's hardly any uptake here in Australia.

After that I would like to see iOS get a new coat of paint. I don't want a radical overhaul but just some new colourful icons to make things a little more vibrant.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm going to say update the UI, mobile operating systems have grown since apple introduced the iPhone, what hasn't changed is iOS. I think to propel iOS into the future it needs to be reworked.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Maps working pretty well for me over here. Oddly enough, it has proved to be even more accurate than google maps at times!

Maps is good in Singapore, are you kidding me? Did you see the islandwide satellite imagery, being 70% covered with clouds? Did you see the astounding amount of POIs left out?

Google Maps is the better choice in our country, no doubt.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
I'm going to say update the UI, mobile operating systems have grown since apple introduced the iPhone, what hasn't changed is iOS. I think to propel iOS into the future it needs to be reworked.

I don't think iOS needs a rework, a facelift would be fine. There is nothing iOS can't do that other OSs can with exception to widgets and so on.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
It's clearly the productivity thing for me. It's just impossible to work on Pages/Word or Numbers/Excel documents on an iPad/iPhone together with a Mac. File Management is too much ignored, it's still the same as in the beginnings when the fart-apps were funny.

My wish is a Finder app that can sync folders with my Mac. And that apps can acutally open/edit/save files in place instead of making a copy and sucking it into the app itself.

Last edited:

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I voted for the updated UI just because I would like some consistency.

• App Design: I have no opinion on skeuomorphism on iOS. It doesn't really bother me by itself, but given the fact that every app seems to have a different design style... I'm okay with the stores being black and the media apps being white but at least make it consistent. The Photos and Videos app are still using the classic-iOS design (as are a whole bunch of other built-in apps). (PS. I think skeuomorphism should be removed on OS X; IMO it makes the OS look childish, and I've always believed that was Windows Vista/7's job.)

• StatusBar: Personally, I'm okay with the changing color status-bar, but I would also like an option that allows us to just keep it black and/or transparent.

• Lock Screen: I would like more open-apps shortcut options. Today, I can turn on my camera by swiping up, but I hardly ever take pictures and swiping left, right, down are left unused. Also, the current design just seems really old. I mean, the glossy-bar look is so 2007.

• Widgets: I don't care for these but since they'll more than likely be optional, I have no problem with Apple adding them. Who knows, they might change my mind.

Apple should really work on all the things listed on the poll. However, even if they managed to do all of it (which I still don't understand why they can't/don't considering their resources), people will still complain.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I voted for user control for quick settings/widgets, wouldn't be horrible to see some more customisation options either.

A close second would be getting some consistent services going esp. siri, maps is actually quite good imo. Got a nexus 7 and as dumb as google now is and as crap the voice recognition is, it blows siri out of the water for speed, siri has been rendered useless for me because of this.

Finally (well not finally but my next choice) would be some UI updates, although I think this kind of comes under user control with the customisability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.