Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
I gave up on cloud-based music streaming because I hated Amazon's service and the 3rd party apps for Google are lacking.

A couple days ago I saw an app that streams music from a Box or DropBox account similarly to these services. I hadn't even thought of that as a possibility.

So can anyone who does this tell me how and how well it works? I take a lot of time to set ID3 tags in my music so I'm particular about that kind of thing as it relates to ease and accuracy in navigating my music because I have a lot of it.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Unless I'm doing it wrong, DropBox kinda sucks as a cloud-player. It just plays the song you select & it stops. So, if you play a song, when it's done, you have to go into the app and select another song.

Again, I could be using it wrong.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Unless I'm doing it wrong, DropBox kinda sucks as a cloud-player. It just plays the song you select & it stops. So, if you play a song, when it's done, you have to go into the app and select another song.

Again, I could be using it wrong.

Are you playing music via the DropBox app?

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Melodies for Google Music works fine for me. It's .99 and plays all my Google cloud music.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
3rd party apps for Google are lacking.

Why do you need 3rd party apps? Have you tried the Google Play? I have my entire library loaded to Google (approx. 27GB) and can play it from any web browser or the Google Play app on my phone or iPad. Listening to it right now at work, a mirror image of my iTunes library from home. Plus it has its own features like Instant Mixes and such.

It works great and keeps in sync with your home iTunes library in near real-time; create a playlist at home and it shows up almost immediately in Google. Dropbox is no where near as seamless or convenient.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
I personally use iTunes Match. DropBox wasn't designed for this in mind.

That's what I figured.

Melodies for Google Music works fine for me. It's .99 and plays all my Google cloud music.

gMusic works better but still has its problems. Google Music would be better if they at least introduced some kind of paid tiered plan and an official iOS app.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Why do you need 3rd party apps? Have you tried the Google Play? I have my entire library loaded to Google (approx. 27GB) and can play it from any web browser or the Google Play app on my phone or iPad. Listening to it right now at work, a mirror image of my iTunes library at home. Plus it has its own features like Instant Mixes and such.

It works great and keeps in sync with your home iTunes library in near real-time; create a playlist at home and it shows up almost immediately in Google. Dropbox is no where near as seamless or convenient.

What Google Play app? The only one I've seen is for books.

Playing in Safari is terrible. You can't put the device to sleep because it doesn't progress to the next song.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah. You can't save MP3s from Dropbox into your iPhone's Music App unfortunately.

Right, but I mentioned that there are 3rd party apps that will access DropBox and make it behave like a music streaming service. You haven't tried any of those?

I only saw a couple and I don't remember the names of them so I was wondering how well they worked. If I could create a music folder and the app was successful in making DropBox act like a music streamer I wouldn't mind paying for more storage space.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
What Google Play app? The only one I've seen is for books.

Playing in Safari is terrible. You can't put the device to sleep because it doesn't progress to the next song.

Your right. I think of it as an app cause it looks like one when it loads. I access it mostly from my desktop at work, where I don't have to worry about sleep. Otherwise, it occassional use on the phone when I'm out and about.

Either way, its so convenient and seamless and free! I just can't imagine trying to deal with the inconvenience of setting up and managing Dropbox separately from my iTunes library.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Another one here for Google Music. Havent found a good app but may check out the one mentioned earlier

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
There's a Google Melodies app that seems to work like Google Play Music does on Android. I just downloaded it. Has all my Google Play Music stuff in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.