Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

between2tides

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
I'm just a beginner here, but am wondering if the gtx570 remains a fast option for CUDA or if something else has taken it's place?

florianuhlemann

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
I'm just a beginner here, but am wondering if the gtx570 remains a fast option for CUDA or if something else has taken it's place?

Remains your best bet so far. Fermi is still the most powerful especially since keplers are cutdown cards for dx11 gaming.

The 2.5gb is worth it.

florianuhlemann

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
Any suggestions on precisely which one to use?

Depends on where you live.
Make sure it uses 2x6pin PCIe to have less trouble with that. 2.5GB GDDR5. These cards are End of Life. Probably hard to get one anyhow... Evga is great of course, but so are the gigabyte, asus, msi, ...

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I picked up a used GTX570 on eBay for £120 ($200) & Premiere Pro now flies. There are plenty more for sale on eBay as they are EOL & people are dumping them as they upgrade to GTX6xx cards.

klemsaba

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
Depends on where you live.
Make sure it uses 2x6pin PCIe to have less trouble with that. 2.5GB GDDR5. These cards are End of Life. Probably hard to get one anyhow... Evga is great of course, but so are the gigabyte, asus, msi, ...

Amazon has a bunch of EVGA 570s 1280MB versions.. I have the 2560MB version and the card is very fast for Adobe Work. I'm not sure if it is any faster than the 1280MB version though as iStat Menus never shows the memory filling up.

One negative item about the EVGA card is the fan has a low frequency hum to it at idle. For me it is kind of annoying. So far out of the 4 of us at work I'm the only one who has complained about the fan noise though.

between2tides

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
Originally I got here by searching for Macvidcards. Little did I know that he? would be active on this site. My question is am I better off getting a card from him or just getting a card and doing the work myself? I remember reading that his cards had something that was different about them and they worked better (might be the wrong word) as a result. I know that you have all been over this again and again. I'm late to the party. Appreciate everyone's help.

tjlazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
Tacoma, WA USA
So what's the latest on flashing the GTX 570 ourselves? We have to solder a new larger capacity flash chip on? What about full speed pci? Are there any brands that can support flashing without soldering?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I'm thinking of sending over one of my 670s once they become flashable and dropping my GT120 on ebay to pay for MVC services lol.

----------

I picked up a used GTX570 on eBay for £120 ($200) & Premiere Pro now flies. There are plenty more for sale on eBay as they are EOL & people are dumping them as they upgrade to GTX6xx cards.

I just sold my Sonic Platinum 570 for $175. Probably one of the best 570s out there.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
All Nvidia cards of GTX4xx and GTX5xx need larger chips soldered on to flash them.

Using our modified EFI allows PCIE 2.0 speed in Mac OSX and Windows.

Some of the newer Nvidia OSX drivers can offer this speed in OSX but you will never get PCIE 2.0 in Windows without an EFI card.

Our EFI cards give you full boot screen support, something not possible with the standard PC ones.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
All Nvidia cards of GTX4xx and GTX5xx need larger chips soldered on to flash them.

Some of the newer Nvidia OSX drivers can offer this speed in OSX but you will never get PCIE 2.0 in Windows without an EFI card.

Our EFI cards give you full boot screen support, something not possible with the standard PC ones.

Is there anything in the works for the GTX 680 ?

between2tides

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013

How do we get in touch with you! I've been trying now for a week, so far impossible . . .

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I have been working with Netkas trying to get 670/680 EFI worked out.

We have gotten the EFI out of rMBP and iMac 2012. Sadly, they use a newer form of EFI that does not work in a Mac Pro.

So while work continues on that front, the best hope is the long delayed K5000 for Mac.

You can PM me here with questions or ask a question through EBay store to reach me.

If it is in regads to the beloved GTX570 2.5, sadly EVGA stopped making them so supply has dried up.

I get a few here and there but I can no longer order them by the dozen, and the ones I do list get snapped up in minutes.

There will eventually be an EFI for GTX680, but it may still be awhile.

between2tides

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
I have been working with Netkas trying to get 670/680 EFI worked out.

We have gotten the EFI out of rMBP and iMac 2012. Sadly, they use a newer form of EFI that does not work in a Mac Pro.

So while work continues on that front, the best hope is the long delayed K5000 for Mac.

You can PM me here with questions or ask a question through EBay store to reach me.

If it is in regads to the beloved GTX570 2.5, sadly EVGA stopped making them so supply has dried up.

I get a few here and there but I can no longer order them by the dozen, and the ones I do list get snapped up in minutes.

There will eventually be an EFI for GTX680, but it may still be awhile.

So if I can find one of these I can send it to you? FYI I'm new here so cannot PM you?

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Book an appointment at your optometrist.

One of those is 1.2GB, the other is 2.5GB.

Many users of Resolve have found that 1.8 GB is what is needed to manipulate 4K files.

1.2GB crashes & runs out of RAM.

Quite a difference.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I see some Asian sellers offering GTX 570's with 5.0 gt/s lol

Yes, there are a few clueless hacks selling copies of our stuff. Since they have no idea what we did to get the EFI working, they can't be of much help when there is trouble.

Our cards offer 5.0 in both OSX and Windows, and are solid and stable.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Hi MVC,

When you get the GRX680 to work all out, will it work in my MP3,1? Also without extra power?

TIA,

Bo

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hi MVC,

When you get the GRX680 to work all out, will it work in my MP3,1? Also without extra power?

TIA,

Bo

The GTX680 comes in both Dual 6 pin and 6/8 set ups. Obviously the easy answer is get the Dual 6 pin one from the get go and never worry.

That being said, when we get GTX680 EFI cards going, we will be able to offer a modded one that will work.

I know this for a fact because we just finished work on GTX580 3GB that runs in Mac Pro with no external power. It is slightly slower than regular version, but will not fry your Logic board. I can now attest to non-modded 580s ability to do just that. I burned up my 4,1/5,1 logic board and have ordered a new one. Meanwhile I have completed development of Mac Pro Edition GTX580 3GB on a 3,1 Mac Pro.

This will only be EVGA/Zotac/Gigabyte brand cards that come from factory with 6/8 combo. The "Hot Rod" versions with Dual 8s or 2 @ 8 and a 6 pin will never be made to work this way unfortunately.

So, yes Virgina, there is a Santa Claus.

And when that K5000 for Mac appears, count on MacVidCards (with help from Netkas, hopefully) to come up with a way to make them all work in Mac Pros.

ArtificialRay

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Nvidia GTX 580 3GB for Apple Mac Pro Internal Power Version

First off, I want to thank you for providing a service that greatly benefits the post production community. In my opinion, your cards are well worth the price.

Just saw the Nvidia GTX 580 3GB for Apple Mac Pro Internal Power Version on your eBay store.

The listing states, "Unlike previous GTX 580s, this version of the card has been modified to run off of the Mac Pros internal power without any trouble. No longer do you need a bulky external power source in order to get a powerhouse GPU."

How was the card modified, and is it slower than the external power version because of the modifications?

Between the Nvidia GTX 580 3GB for Apple Mac Pro Internal Power Version and Nvidia GTX 570 2.5 GB for Apple Mac Pro cards that you offer, which card is faster with Resolve, Premiere and After Effects?

P.S. Your eBay listings state, "Local pickup is available with a discount for cash payments." I'm local to the LA area and would like to pick up a card with cash. I've been trying to get ahold of you to make arrangements. Please PM me at your earliest convenience.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
MR does not want this to be a sales forum.

PM me here or message me through Ebay for sales info.

The 580 3GB is slower than regular 580 3GB but faster than 570 2.5GB.

It is now the FASTEST Mac card EVER without external power. No small print needed. The FASTEST.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.