Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
How do they add LTE support?

With a baseband firmware update, which will be part of iOS 6.1.

The iPhone 5's Qualcomm RTR8600 transceiver can support up to 5 LTE frequencies. What those frequencies are is software programmable (to a degree - there are constraints on what combinations you can have, and things like antenna design are also important).

Currently the "GSM A1329" World model iPhone 5 only has 3 LTE bands enabled, leaving 2 "ports" available to support additional frequencies. Apple presumably waited to see how the market developed and to complete carrier testing before enabling them.

(Qualcomm's newwer WTR1605 transceiver - likely to feature in the iPhone 5S - supports 7 LTE bands, up from 5).

filip20

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
LTE requires new base stations. Not likely, with < 10.000.000 people in sweden.

What are you talking about? Sweden already have 4G (LTE) and was the first country in the world with a commercial 4G network.

Sweden has ≈ 21 people per square kilometre, and denmark has 130 people per square kilometre.

The absolute majority lives in southern Sweden.

Denmark has how many fjords (difficult locations)?

Are you high or just retarded?

Saileshbreaker

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
I live in a small island called Mauritius and two of the three mobile operator's already has 4G LTE for over a year now but yet Apple has yet to support it, the main operator and official Apple supported carrier is Orange. It's frustrating to wait so much

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Woo congratulations several countries.

Why? Because apple , after monthsof people with iphone 5's not being able to use 4g, finnaly gets of its but and approved some carriers?
The next just have to wait for iOS 6.2 in a couple of months? Great people buy an iphone 5 end 2012 and can use one of its key features by mid 2013 .

MathijsDelva

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
To all the people who are suprised Apple is enabling LTE support (through carrier settings): i take it you are mostly Americans? There are countless, literally, countless threads here on MacRumours and Apple Disccusions about this issue. The whole world is pissed at Apple for this: we buy an unlocked phone (which means: hardware you can use freely on any sort of system, network, ...) yet somehow, Apple is deliberately blocking software LTE support in at least 36 countries (with probably loads more). Our main LTE carrier in Belgium has been trying to get LTE supported (which is insane, since they use the correct band) through Apple for about 4 months now, without any reaction..

evilguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Denmark has how many fjords (difficult locations)? Sweden has ≈ 21 people per square kilometre, and denmark has 130 people per square kilometre. That is one of the reasons why you get LTE in denmark.

I can. That is your problem. ;-)

Just love when someone is trolling :eek:

Sweden (and Norway) had the worlds first commercial launched LTE network
http://swedishwire.com/business/2050-telia-launch-worlds-first-4g-mobile-network

Both countries have many fjords and few people per square kilometer.

In regards to coverage of sparsely populated areas sweden already have an extensive LTE coverage using 800 MHz LTE where Denmark so far only uses 1800 and 2600 MHz LTE.

BvW

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
How do they add LTE support? I thought any carrier that can send out the right signal would work on iphone 5s. In the UK, people have said that only EE and 3 would ever be able to support LTE on iphone 5s because the other mobile networks dont have the right frequencies.

Sweden was the first country with a commercial LTE network in 2009.

2600 and 800 MHz are by far the most widely deployed LTE frequencies, but Apple's hardware does not support this - expect to see this in the iPhone 5S the next iPad Mini and iPad.

Some networks have LTE on 1800, but here Apple blocks it (quality issues?). This is what Apple is about to release.

chet8905

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
4G in Switzerland

Good to know that 4G for iPhone 5 is coming to Switzerland. It rolled out here in November or December I believe. Still, the only prominent Android phone here is the Samsung Galaxy S3, and the version here doesn't have 4G so they can't use it either. It's only a little while ago the 4G one came on sale, and the other 4G phone is the Nokia Lumia 920. I have an iPhone 5 but my data speeds are capped but unlimited. I have an unlimited everything but because the speeds are capped at 7.2 Mbps down and (I can't remember upload speeds, but they are something like 2 Mbps), so it's not that useful to me. With 4G, it would be approximately the same as my home speeds...

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Still no Sweden :(

Swedish Telenor and Tele2 have just started trial runs on the 1800 MHz band supported by the iPhone 5 in order to bring LTE support to Sweden. This actually hit the news yesterday. The coincidence with Cook's tease here about expansions to new countries lines up with Sweden's latest trials, and I think Swedish Tele2 and Telenor will be among the countries/carriers officially added, possibly with the final release of iOS 6.1 or iOS 7. (they have told media that a software update to iPhone and iPad will still be necessary despite the carriers technically supporting the bandwidth in the future)

An initiative like this is no doubt made in cooperation with, or at least with endorsement by, Apple. I think there's no way they would go through this otherwise, due to how popular Android devices already support LTE in Sweden via the 800 MHz band.

Last edited:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
It's great to see that we finally get some LTE on our iPhones here in Denmark, but it's pretty ridiculous that it only happens now. The LTE networks have been up and running here for months and are extensively advertised, but iPhone users have been completely omitted so far.

Still, the 3G where I live performs at about 10-20 Mbit/sec (depending on load), which is plenty, but it will be interesting to see what the LTE network can offer next week.

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007

Maybe if you had done your research before opening that big mouth you would know that Sweden was the first country in the world (with Norway) to have LTE...

That Apple doesn't support the bands used in some countries it doesn't mean these countries don't have LTE (moreover... you wish you had the quality of internet Swedish have... and also the price), but hey... no hard feelings.

lobbyist

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, QC
With a baseband firmware update, which will be part of iOS 6.1.

The iPhone 5's Qualcomm RTR8600 transceiver can support up to 5 LTE frequencies. What those frequencies are is software programmable (to a degree - there are constraints on what combinations you can have, and things like antenna design are also important).

Currently the "GSM A1329" World model iPhone 5 only has 3 LTE bands enabled, leaving 2 "ports" available to support additional frequencies. Apple presumably waited to see how the market developed and to complete carrier testing before enabling them.

(Qualcomm's newwer WTR1605 transceiver - likely to feature in the iPhone 5S - supports 7 LTE bands, up from 5).

Thank you for the explanation - Most intuitive and intelligible comment in this whole thread amongst all the futile geo- & demographical factoids debate.

barbosas

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
IOS 6.1 Beta 4 also enables LTE in TMN in Portugal, TMN is also expanding their network to iPhone 5 Frequency .

No Portugal either.
That's why people here are buying Samsung instead.

About damn time! LTE in my country yeah!

----------

Actually Vodaphone Portugal is switching their frequencies to be iPhone friendly as it activated LTE for Portugal in 6.1 beta 3

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
As others have said the viability of LTE in a country isn't about population, but population density in particular parts of the country.
Here is the coverage map for Telstra Australia . LTE/4G is only available in small pocket os the major cities. In fact most of Australia, by area, not population, have no coverage at all.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.