Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Stanford University is again offering the iOS 6 edition of Paul Hegarty's well-regarded iPhone and iPad application development course free on iTunes U. This year, Stanford is running the course on Stanford's Piazza collaboration platform -- the same social learning service that Stanford students use -- as well as iTunes U. This setup allows students to assist each other and get more from the class.

codingtogether.jpg
Developing Apps for iPhone and iPad will run from January 22 through March 28. Interested students need to sign up on Piazza by February 1, and should subscribe to classroom videos on iTunes U as well.
Updated for iOS 6. Tools and APIs required to build applications for the iPhone and iPad platform using the iOS SDK. User interface designs for mobile devices and unique user interactions using multi-touch technologies. Object-oriented design using model-view-controller paradigm, memory management, Objective-C programming language. Other topics include: object-oriented database API, animation, multi-threading and performance considerations.

--

Stanford's most celebrated iTunes U course includes peer collaboration, so you can learn alongside fellow mobile developers from around the world. If you've tried it alone and gotten stuck, now there will be people to help. If you've taken it before and aced it, now you can sharpen your knowledge by helping others. And if you've been meaning to learn Developing Apps for iPhone & iPad, there may never be a better time.

We call this experiment Coding Together. It's free, and it's going on from January 22 through March 28. We think it will be fun, and you're invited to join.

Coding Together uses Piazza, the same social learning platform that Stanford students use in the on-campus version of the class. You'll follow along with Professor Hegarty's lectures and complete the assignments in time with the class. Got a question? Ask on Piazza and one of your peers will help -- probably within minutes.
Thanks Scott!

Article Link: Stanford Again Offering iPhone App Development Course Free on iTunes U

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Hopefully this course will teach future developers how to make their apps run snappier.

gregd33

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
Though I am old now, if I were college-age and SMRT enough, I would have loved to attend Stanford. I love that they take part in iTunes u...

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Standford also offers some very interesting online video lectures (about electical engineering for instance, very cool CPU stuff etc) at Youtube, really love those.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Though I am old now, if I were college-age and SMRT enough, I would have loved to attend Stanford. I love that they take part in iTunes u...

They're quite the ******s when it comes to rejection letters. A bunch of friends and I applied - we were all rejected and we all agreed they phrase the rejection in unnecessarily rude terms.

Having said that, I love these iOS lectures and definitely endorse them.

SLOAero

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Free education? Hell yeah!

I am a huge fan of online courses and am looking forward to this one. I picked up a learn-objective-C book recently in the hopes of teaching myself how to program some basic iOS apps. Now I have some real inspiration to hurry up and finish that book before I fall too far behind.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
These videos are priceless. Mr. Hegarty can get it done, and make it fun while he's doing it. Can't wait to download these and get serious about this again (one month away from finishing 3 college courses, getting my degree, then it's iDev time, game on!)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I got my foundation from the 2011 versions of this course, great instructor, solid practices, really nice breadth of topics that gets into plenty of interesting smartphone particulars like the various instrumentation.

Good stuff! Downloading tonight (no matter how much you know, there's always little things you pick up).

:cool:

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Can't wait! All the tutorials out there (including Stanford's old ones) are outdated, and Xcode has undergone some major changes. I tried programming for iOS before with old tutorials, and it did NOT go well.

----------

Is Stanford sponsored by Apple? They used to have some huge Xgrid cluster. Pretty neat.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ

I went to school on the East Coast when CS was new and most programs were in the EE department, before the internet... Chose to go to my state engineering school and paid my own freight through a graduate degree.

I can definitely say the brightest CS people I've met in my career have come from Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, and RPI. Advice for the youngsters ;)

As for the course, when someone asks for advice in getting started on iOS this is course is one of the first things I suggest.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Great course...

I went to do it last year, but when Paul stated the pre-reqs in the first lecture (Object Orientated programming skills), decided to do their CS106A course (Programming Methodology) first. This is also on iTunesU and has an awesome instructor, Mahran Sahami (his lectures are very educational and very entertaining - I was hoping to see him do CS106B, but no such luck yet). I then did this iOS course but fell behind (still working on it) and am going to do it again as it's updated for iOS6 and has new assignments.

Bear in mind that this course does not teach you to program, whereas CS106A does .

----------

That's not my glass. My glass was full and it was bigger than that. :D

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I signed up and was going through it, but two lectures in and nothing was posted in the course materials. I had to go back and watch over 2 hours of classes to get the code he posted for the students... guess they forgot about us online folk. Anyway, the class is presented great, and the prof definitely knows what he is doing, but I really needed the materials (like the lecture slides) to be posted, plus the notes which were more expanded than the slideshow. These are the things the students get, but as of two lectures in, we didn't.

I just got some great books on Ojb-C and I think I'm going to go through the books then come back to this course. I don't have the pre-requisites required, so some terminology, etc.was over my head.

I'll check them out again and hopefully they provide course materials quicker.

annaharris

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
San Francisco
Online iPhone app development course on "iTunes U" is really great stuff to learn development of iPhone apps. Also, I would like to take this chance to learn online.

afawcett

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
San Diego
They're quite the ******s when it comes to rejection letters. A bunch of friends and I applied

That's strange, when I applied in 2006 I received a very nice rejection letter. They actually complimented several parts of my application, but ultimately said my 4.3 wasn't high enough (and I knew it wasn't).

cadyharen

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
Connecticut, USA
Is it possible to still join the course

I know I am late to the party because registrations closed on 1st Feb but is there by any chance a possibility that I could still join the course.

Would love to be part of it. Can you let me know?

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I know I am late to the party because registrations closed on 1st Feb but is there by any chance a possibility that I could still join the course.

You can view the iTunes U lectures and go through the assignments at your own pace. There's no deadline. As for Piazza, that seems to have closed. I missed it too.

So far I'm very impressed with the quality of the lectures and slides/walk-throughs. Four lectures in and just completed the first assignment. IMO it's a pretty intense course so far. Definitely not for new programmer. I'm a developer and went through the Beginning iPhone Development three or so years ago, so most concepts are not new. I reckon I'd be struggling to keep track without this background.

apperechelon

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
Anyone actually go through this whole series? I am always looking for other ways to learn about app development!

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.