Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Dont expect apple to do it for free. They will charge you the $99 for applecare+ and the 49.99 to swap you a new one. The new one comes in a brown box and your cracked one goes in it to be shipped back to apple. So keep your original box at home so when you sell your swapped new one you'll have an original box altho with a dufferent serial number.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
He said it was his mum who broke it accidentally. You know, that person who gave birth to you, put a roof over your head, fed you...

OP, cant you buy Applecare+ over the phone or online? If so, buy it, then simply take it to the Apple store in a weeks time and say you just broke it a day before.

So, you are suggesting that it is more moral that the OP's mother not take responsibility for the repair because of filial duty, but it's completely okay to lie to Apple and commit fraud.

Amazing.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Not sure if you paid with a credit card, if you did, check if it has purchase protection. That'll cover the damage seeing its still within your 90 days of purchasing.

Aug 5, 2012
OP i feel sorry for you but i do not believe you should get a free replacement/fix from the genius bar.

It was your fault (your mothers in this case) and you should pay for it.

We all must learn to look after our belongings.

If you bought a new car and dinged it would you expect a free repair?

Please be responsible for your actions like everyone else.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for all of your replies everyone.

I understand the moral dilemma, and I'm not trying to get a handout or anything, as I understand that your decisions begets what will happen to you, so I'm not going to try to reason on that. I know I could have had a case on it, as I did have a Smart Cover but sent it back since it wasnt doing the job (a smart case for iPad mini would've been dope). I personally have been babying it until I get a nice folio case, but with finals and Christmas here, I told myself using the cash I have for Christmas for my family and friends was more important than spending more on myself. In hindsight, that seems silly with a cracked mini right now, but it made sense at the time.

In any event, with dwindled funds that'll be replenished at the next paycheck, I'll try my luck on Applecare+ then, and if apple support is still in the holiday giving mood, have it applied. Since it's not hindering the use of my mini and is merely cosmetic, I can hold off for a bit in getting the replacement thereafter so as to not seem like I'm being fradulent. On the real, I would've had AppleCare+ if not for the price. Yes, I know some might say if you can't get the full Monty, save until you can. I understand that, but again, using hindsight to arrive at that conclusion is much easier than without it.

If no applecare+ is available, I'll make do. The carbon fiber skin option is a good one. Most likely I won't resell this one, I'll keep it in the family and pass it along when the retina model arrives.

In the grand scheme of everything and with it being the holiday season (and the fact that my mother got me some cheesecake to say sorry today, even though she can't fix it, it felt like its already fixed), all will be well. I'll let you all know if I have luck retroactively applying AppleCare soon.

Thanks y'all!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You can ask Apple for sure. Bring mom to the appointment and tell her to bring her pocketbook.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Sending you some of my luck, they have replaced both my kids iPhone 5s free of charge, one in a road rage encounter the other was dropped from a shelf, wishing you the best!

burritolove

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2010
seems like some of you here obviously dont give a **** about your mothers/family. all these "make her pay" comments are rediculous. in 29, if my mother threw my ipad out the window i would just get on with my day, not yell at her and tell her to pay up. you only have ONE mother, you can buy MANY ipads

OP, go to an apple store and be honest and see what happens, like mentioned earlier, worst case scenario you will buy a replacement ipad or a skinz

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Agree with above. I have a feeling OP's mother would buy a new mini if she could. OP I wish you the best of luck in getting a replacement ipad mini from Apple. With all the people buying the mini to try it and then returning it, I don't know why anyone would worry about Apple replacing an accidentally broken one for free.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
OP i feel sorry for you but i do not believe you should get a free replacement/fix from the genius bar.

It was your fault (your mothers in this case) and you should pay for it.

We all must learn to look after our belongings.

If you bought a new car and dinged it would you expect a free repair?

Please be responsible for your actions like everyone else.

Spare us the morality lesson. There is nothing wrong with buying the ac+ and then paying the $49. Apple has provided for this avenue of repair and they are not being blindsided or cheated.

Aug 5, 2012
Spare us the morality lesson. There is nothing wrong with buying the ac+ and then paying the $49. Apple has provided for this avenue of repair and they are not being blindsided or cheated.

It will not work.

Looking forward to the OP's update

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone!

I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but I just wanted to update y'all on my iPad mini. So, I went ahead and tried my luck today after a lengthy holding pattern with my cracked mini, went with my mother and some pictures of how the salt shaker fell outta the cabinet and onto my mini and went straight to the genius that I saw helping another customer with a cracked iPhone. I observed for a bit and overheard that he too had just the standard warranty and his story was that his baby had slapped his iPhone outta his hand and onto the floor (we can debate how plausible this is or how smart it is to have your naked iPhone out around your baby, but I can see it. My nephews have almost hit mine outta my hands before as well). Long story short, he got his replaced for free, so I went to that specific genius. I didn't know if my Apple store would allow me to go to a specific genius, though, so I might have just lucked up. Anyways, I told them what happened, with my mother there for confirmation, and the genius went in the back and brought back a pristine iPad mini. I was so overjoyed I actually hugged the genius! Hahaha! In another case of "Apple, you're dope as hell," the genius allowed me to add AppleCare+ right then and didn't charge me for the first deductible case. Now, that's taking care of the customer! I've been internally getting on Apple with some of their practices and the feeling iOS is getting left behind (and my iPhone battery continuing to suffer), but this is something I must tip my hat to. They didn't have to help me out like this, but they did. Granted, they sure did get $99 out of me, but according to their terms, they didn't have to do that, too. I was satisfied with the outcome in more ways than one.

I also took up one of the suggestions on the carbon fiber skin and ordered one in addition to a nice screen protector and applied it when I got home. Next step is a nice folio protective case that props it up nicely. Any suggestions, folks? I've also attached pics so you can see how the carbon fiber skin looks on the mini. I love it. Makes it more grippy and a little more edgy in its styling.

Thanks for all of your responses, y'all!

14oava.jpg

m4g3s.jpg

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I was at a party a month ago and the person didn't have any way to play music and shouted "If anybody has an iPod dock I would really appreciate it if you brought it so we can have music and dance"

I came back with my Bose Sounddock portable, a Bluetooth adapter, and my iPad retina. A lot of the music played was on my iPad. Some girl that was trashed took my iPad to look at the music I had on it and she dropped my iPad. I don't know what I would have done if the screen cracked but thankfully it did not crack.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I was at a party a month ago and the person didn't have any way to play music and shouted "If anybody has an iPod dock I would really appreciate it if you brought it so we can have music and dance"

I came back with my Bose Sounddock portable, a Bluetooth adapter, and my iPad retina. A lot of the music played was on my iPad. Some girl that was trashed took my iPad to look at the music I had on it and she dropped my iPad. I don't know what I would have done if the screen cracked but thankfully it did not crack.

Was she hot?

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
There were a lot of hot girls there but she wasn't, plus she is married and her husband is like twice my size. I would have been screwed if the screen was cracked.

Was she a jerk too? Because regardless of the size of her husband (is he mean too?), most people would pay for the repair if they break one of your electronics.

I'm a big guy, and I'm sure I can look intimidating to many people, but if I dropped someone's iPad and shattered it at a party, I'd pay the repair cost.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Was she a jerk too? Because regardless of the size of her husband (is he mean too?), most people would pay for the repair if they break one of your electronics.

I'm a big guy, and I'm sure I can look intimidating to many people, but if I dropped someone's iPad and shattered it at a party, I'd pay the repair cost.

One of those screens cost $200 to replace, not everybody has a spare $200 when they are raising kids

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
One of those screens cost $200 to replace, not everybody has a spare $200 when they are raising kids

I understand...then don't handle peoples expensive gadgets. If somebody broke my expensive gadget and their response was 'got kids...sorry', I'd be pretty upset. I've got kids too, and while I have some disposable income to spend on fun stuff, having to shell out $200-300 on an iPad repair that wasn't mine would suck...but I'd still do it if I broke somebody else's stuff.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I understand...then don't handle peoples expensive gadgets. If somebody broke my expensive gadget and their response was 'got kids...sorry', I'd be pretty upset. I've got kids too, and while I have some disposable income to spend on fun stuff, having to shell out $200-300 on an iPad repair that wasn't mine would suck...but I'd still do it if I broke somebody else's stuff.

Not everybody is responsible like you. In the real world people don't own up to their mistakes.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Hey everyone!

I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but I just wanted to update y'all on my iPad mini. So, I went ahead and tried my luck today after a lengthy holding pattern with my cracked mini, went with my mother and some pictures of how the salt shaker fell outta the cabinet and onto my mini and went straight to the genius that I saw helping another customer with a cracked iPhone. I observed for a bit and overheard that he too had just the standard warranty and his story was that his baby had slapped his iPhone outta his hand and onto the floor (we can debate how plausible this is or how smart it is to have your naked iPhone out around your baby, but I can see it. My nephews have almost hit mine outta my hands before as well). Long story short, he got his replaced for free, so I went to that specific genius. I didn't know if my Apple store would allow me to go to a specific genius, though, so I might have just lucked up. Anyways, I told them what happened, with my mother there for confirmation, and the genius went in the back and brought back a pristine iPad mini. I was so overjoyed I actually hugged the genius! Hahaha! In another case of "Apple, you're dope as hell," the genius allowed me to add AppleCare+ right then and didn't charge me for the first deductible case. Now, that's taking care of the customer! I've been internally getting on Apple with some of their practices and the feeling iOS is getting left behind (and my iPhone battery continuing to suffer), but this is something I must tip my hat to. They didn't have to help me out like this, but they did. Granted, they sure did get $99 out of me, but according to their terms, they didn't have to do that, too. I was satisfied with the outcome in more ways than one.

I also took up one of the suggestions on the carbon fiber skin and ordered one in addition to a nice screen protector and applied it when I got home. Next step is a nice folio protective case that props it up nicely. Any suggestions, folks? I've also attached pics so you can see how the carbon fiber skin looks on the mini. I love it. Makes it more grippy and a little more edgy in its styling.

Congrats on getting it replaced and all........but why didn't your mom pay for it if she is the 1 who was using it when it got busted?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Hey everyone!

Congratulations on your swap out,,,but, some advice,,,don't place your iPad face down on the granite worktop, it's likely to get scratched or the case can get dented,,,eventually. Just a tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.