Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loscamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
I want to connect the SSD using Thunderbolt and use as boot disk for my iMac. I've read a lot of post and Lacie seems better, but maybe it's just because of the ssd mounted on the seagate.
Any suggestion?

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
I'd get the lacie rugged ssd. The performance is very good, it comes with a thunderbolt cable, and at least if you decide you no longer want to use it as a boot drive you can use it as a very fast portable drive you can take around with you.

loscamos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Yes. But I can't figure out wich is faster. In some thread here on Macrumors it seem the seagate works better. Anyway thanks for your opinion. Waiting for other comment.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
honestly, I find the lacie to sport a horrible design & color scheme.

performance-wise, I am in the dark, though I bought a samsung 840 ssd, 256Gb for my pc not 3 days ago. up to now, all ok

MacFro

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Didn't know you could install and run OSX of an external drive. Is it possible straight out of the box?

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
Didn't know you could install and run OSX of an external drive. Is it possible straight out of the box?

Macs make this extremely simple. I've been cloning drives and (mostly temporarily) booting external for years.

Use a 3rd party tool like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your boot drive. You can do this ~live~ and as long as you aren't actively changing data while you are cloning, your cloned drive will be viable. Note that Carbon Copy Cloner recently went from donation-ware to non-free, so you will either have to pay for it or download an earlier version.

Anyhow, my workflow for upgrading a hard drive has always been something like this:

• Attach the new HDD/SSD via FireWire, although Thunderbolt or USB will work as well
  • Clone from the "old" boot drive to the new drive
  • Reboot the system, using the new drive externally to ensure that it works correctly
  • Once I've validated the clone, I THEN open up the computer and do the drive swap.

I've even run my Mac mini from my old laptop drive for several weeks before I decided to open it up and replace it.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
honestly, I find the lacie to sport a horrible design & color scheme.

performance-wise, I am in the dark, though I bought a samsung 840 ssd, 256Gb for my pc not 3 days ago. up to now, all ok

Take off the Orange bumper, and it looks like most any other small portable drive.

----------

Wait for this http://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt/t1t2.html The specs and features look outstanding - can't wait to monitor it from my iPhone lol

Going to jam a 1TB SSD into it and then my 3TB Fusion setup will be perfect

Nice specs on paper.

Announced early last year. Still not shipping, and no price or pre-orders.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
There should be some new options, hopefully getting less expensive within the next couple few months but options are slim and expensive right now.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
you can change the bumper cover on the lacie. You can get a 3 pack of different bumper colors including black from newegg for around 12 bucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.