Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I see it differently.

ATT isn't OFFERING this plan to us. They are allowing us to continue our current plan. Perhaps a semantic difference - but important. It's not like they are saying "Hey - we have an unlimited plan you can have but doesn't have x features or you can choose another plan that has Y features."

We're legacy. Do the new services cost more/ cause more strain - doesn't really matter. At the end of the day - ATT knows that people will either keep to their unlimited or change up. I imagine the percentage of people LEAVING ATT over this are small. And by this I mean ONLY this.

Personally I find the whole thing pointless. Let's be clear the majority of us that have unlimited data plans are never going to get rid of them as long as ATT is going to let us have them. Also let's be clear that at the end of all things we don't cost the company much more.

In order to have an unlimited plan we have to have been with the company for quite a wile now and ATT's continuing discrimination (yes it is discrimination) is well, irritating. The point we don't get is like you said ATT can get rid of the unlimited plan if they like, but for what ever reason they haven't. Now if they got rid of it that would be one thing. However that's not what's happening here. We don't understand why a company would offer something to its longer and yes vary faithful customers but continue to jab us with a stick over something so petty. Not having FaceTime over cell isn't the end of the world and it's precisely because of that we find it so stupid.

Companies make money through customers. Happy customers preach to their friends about the amazing company they get their services from thus bringing more customers and therefor money to the company. That simple formula compounds the longer a customer has been with a company.

So for a company to play these frankly pointless games isn't harmful or the end of the world by any means. We just find them stupid and thus post angry messages on forums. How does this help? Thats right it doesn't. So yes it's pointless.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
There are a lot of posts on this thread from so-called 'loyal' customers who have been with AT&T for years and have had the unlimited data plan for years. Be honest with yourselves - you stayed with the unlimited data plan with AT&T because it was a good deal compared to your options. Now it's not such a good deal compared to the tiered plans, you're threatening/planning to move.
That's not loyalty...

being "loyal" to a corporation is ridiculous anyway. The whole way that industry changes is speaking with your money.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Im not a loyal customer. I just find it too much of a pain in the arse to leave a carrier.

A loyal customer can often be confused with idiotic consumer. I am probably idiotic staying with AT&T and they bank on my idiocy.

The reason they want me moved off unlimited is so they can charge me overages on data. They can't do that with unlimited and it sort of frustrates them but they won't go balls out and not give customers no option except tiered on their next upgrade. Because they know they will lose customers.

I would probably leave and go with Sprint if it meant I didnt have to get new phones for everyone.

So it's still just AT&T refusing to crap or get off the pot. They want us, but want us to get off unlimited so they can "allow" us to use excessive data and charge us for it. It was like limiting txts back in the day. Give you a certain amount, hope you go over so they can charge you for it.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Im not a loyal customer. I just find it too much of a pain in the arse to leave a carrier.

A loyal customer can often be confused with idiotic consumer. I am probably idiotic staying with AT&T and they bank on my idiocy.

The reason they want me moved off unlimited is so they can charge me overages on data. They can't do that with unlimited and it sort of frustrates them but they won't go balls out and not give customers no option except tiered on their next upgrade. Because they know they will lose customers.

I would probably leave and go with Sprint if it meant I didnt have to get new phones for everyone.

So it's still just AT&T refusing to crap or get off the pot. They want us, but want us to get off unlimited so they can "allow" us to use excessive data and charge us for it. It was like limiting txts back in the day. Give you a certain amount, hope you go over so they can charge you for it.

I think it's a little of one, and a little of the other. Sure AT&T would like to charge for extra data if you're one of the ones that goes over. However those are probably not as many as you'd think - and people would choose to self regulate to not be charged extra. That way the network doesn't get bogged down by the super streamers killing it for everyone else. I know America is the country of excess, but there's something to be said for limiting yourself and how much you spend. With unlimited one price, people go crazy simply "because they can" - and may not consider that they are making the network drag for others when maybe they have access to Wifi but aren't using it.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I think it's a little of one, and a little of the other. Sure AT&T would like to charge for extra data if you're one of the ones that goes over. However those are probably not as many as you'd think - and people would choose to self regulate to not be charged extra. That way the network doesn't get bogged down by the super streamers killing it for everyone else. I know America is the country of excess, but there's something to be said for limiting yourself and how much you spend. With unlimited one price, people go crazy simply "because they can" - and may not consider that they are making the network drag for others when maybe they have access to Wifi but aren't using it.

Well, one thing, is LTE is faster than many broadband providers. My RR is 15mb down but LTE is 50mb. So I can see why people would prefer the LTE. HOWEVER, if they want those people to get off the unlimited then quit offering grandfathering. Nobody is forcing them to do that. And restricting what data I can use because of that is sort of silly. Why dont they limit skype too?

Thats my beef. I can see the need to limit unlimited people (which is why theres a 5gb cap) but if they cap me, why does it matter how I reach it??

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Is this feature confirmed to work in any cities across the US ? Thread Starter should keep updating the OP as cities keep rolling in. So far in Philadelphia, this doesn't work w/ my iPhone 4S

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Well, one thing, is LTE is faster than many broadband providers. My RR is 15mb down but LTE is 50mb. So I can see why people would prefer the LTE. HOWEVER, if they want those people to get off the unlimited then quit offering grandfathering. Nobody is forcing them to do that. And restricting what data I can use because of that is sort of silly. Why dont they limit skype too?

Thats my beef. I can see the need to limit unlimited people (which is why theres a 5gb cap) but if they cap me, why does it matter how I reach it??

I would assume that because Facetime is built in and uses a certain API hook then they can limit it, so they do. They probably can't do that with just any video program. Even facebook messenger does video now. Figure they do what little they can to stop constant speed VOIP from bogging down the spectrum.

Really they should do what you suggest and stop grandfathering. They are probably putting off that outrage for as long as possible, because Sprint touts "unlimited" - so they can still say they offer it in some way too.

anyorsomething

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Unfair.

I love AT&T, I have had them for many years, I think the service is better then most in my area. I also love being able to talk and use data at the same time. But they are being unfair with selecting which plans can use FaceTime over cellular.. As others have said its my unlimited data, let me use it how I want, your going to throttle me after 5 gbs anyways.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I was on the phone with AT&T today so I asked why we can't used FaceTime over cellular if we have the Unlimited plan. The women said because usage is throttled after about 3gb (I told her 5) and FT wouldn't work right with the slower speed. I didn't believe much of that conversation but that's what she said.

Rvdude

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
AT&T unlimited

As of May 1,2013 I have been able to use Face Time with my unlimited AT&T plan. I am located approx. 90 miles south of San Antonino,Tx..

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I made my first FT call over cellular today! I read that AT&T officially said that will be gradually be allowing this so I figured I would try while I was out today. I was totally surprised when the call went through! Now I don't have to carrying my iPad (3GB plan) when I know I'm going to be calling my kids on FT to say good night.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I forget if facetime over 3g was introduced with a new OS or a new iPhone but I can get facetime over LTE on my iPhone 5 on AT&T and my roommate, who we split the phone plan with (but both have unlimited plans on our phone) cannot get facetime over 3G on his iphone 4 (and I do think he has upgraded to some version of iOS 6, may even be more upgraded than mine as I'm still on the one that came with my phone).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.