Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazza29672

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Bexley, Kent, UK
Originally Ordered Dec 20th 2012 but amended order 8th Jan 2013

UK

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X8GB
3TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5
APPLE MAGIC MOUSE
Apple WL Kybd (English)+UG
COUNTRY KIT

Estimated delivery 5th Feb - 12th Feb :(

Still processing.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
Any updates anyone? Out of curiosity, does anyone know when "Preparing For Shipment" updates usually come, or when the customer is notified? I would assume that it's once they start on your build, which would probably be morning China time, so that would be..... What time in the states? Let's say EST? I know that on Apple's website, during the checkout process, when they gave you the option to be notified by text message, that the text messages are sent out at 8am. I forget whether that's PST or EST.

no updates here. and i don't think there is any specific time of day for changing status..

Ive seen nothing in the last few days that makes me think there is ANY iMac coming out of that factory at the moment.

madridboy86

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
iMAC 27"

With the following configuration:
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
BATTERY CHARGER 065-0670 NO APPLE BATTERY CHARGER
PAGES 065-C13D NONE
NUMBERS 065-C13F NONE
KEYNOTE 065-C13G NONE
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (British) & User's Guide (English)
Accessory Kit
Apple USB SuperDrive

AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac*

Date Order 5th Jan 2013
Shipped on 20th Jan 2013
Delivery date 24 Jan 2013

* Delivery date 25 Jan 2013

got an e-mail off Apple today saying it'll now be put back until Monday (28/1/2013) :( but, its in transit so is that a good or a bad sign also when I check the website it still says today it'll be delivered

Simonbgraphik

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
So my iMac was finally delivered today by ups. Exactly 3 weeks to the date since ordering. Got to wait till I finish work to play with it. Oh well I have waited 3 weeks. I'm sure 7 hours isn't gonna make much diff.

Hope is all ok when it's unboxed.

Loubk

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
January 2nd..

Hey Guys,

I ordered on January second, received my unit yesterday. Here are the specs and the fedex tracking, so you can see what sort of wait, I had regular free shipping, it came one day ahead.

27 inch
PROCESSOR 065-C0PK 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
•
MEMORY 065-0638 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
•
HARD DRIVE 065-C0Q4 1TB Fusion Drive
•
GRAPHICS 065-C099 NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5
-

1/23/2013 - Wednesday
10:05 am
Delivered

NEW YORK, NY
7:21 am
On FedEx vehicle for delivery

NEW YORK, NY
7:11 am
At local FedEx facility

NEW YORK, NY
-

1/22/2013 - Tuesday
8:58 pm
Departed FedEx location

NEWARK, NJ
2:04 am
Arrived at FedEx location

NEWARK, NJ
-

1/21/2013 - Monday
10:41 pm
In transit

NARITA-SHI JP
4:05 pm
Departed FedEx location

ANCHORAGE, AK
12:20 pm
International shipment release - Import

ANCHORAGE, AK
11:17 am

ANCHORAGE, AK
5:00 am
In transit

SHANGHAI CN
12:04 am
In transit

SHANGHAI CN
-

1/20/2013 - Sunday
9:56 pm

SHANGHAI CN
-

1/19/2013 - Saturday
11:00 pm
At local FedEx facility

SHANGHAI CN
-

1/18/2013 - Friday
6:53 pm
Left FedEx origin facility

SHANGHAI CN
6:52 pm
Picked up

SHANGHAI CN

Package received after FedEx cutoff
5:29 am
Shipment information sent to FedEx

The box is so much bigger than I imagined, had to take a cab from work. SO worth the wait!!!
•
MOUSE 065-0661 APPLE MAGIC MOUSE
•
•
PAGES 065-C13D NONE
•
NUMBERS 065-C13F

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
Hey Guys,

I ordered on January second, received my unit yesterday. Here are the specs and the fedex tracking, so you can see what sort of wait, I had regular free shipping, it came one day ahead.

27 inch
PROCESSOR 065-C0PK 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
•
MEMORY 065-0638 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
•
HARD DRIVE 065-C0Q4 1TB Fusion Drive
•
GRAPHICS 065-C099 NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5
-

1/23/2013 - Wednesday
10:05 am
Delivered

NEW YORK, NY
7:21 am
On FedEx vehicle for delivery

NEW YORK, NY
7:11 am
At local FedEx facility

NEW YORK, NY
-

1/22/2013 - Tuesday
8:58 pm
Departed FedEx location

NEWARK, NJ
2:04 am

NEWARK, NJ
-

1/21/2013 - Monday
10:41 pm
In transit

NARITA-SHI JP
4:05 pm
Departed FedEx location

ANCHORAGE, AK
12:20 pm

ANCHORAGE, AK
11:17 am

ANCHORAGE, AK
5:00 am
In transit

SHANGHAI CN
12:04 am
In transit

SHANGHAI CN
-

1/20/2013 - Sunday
9:56 pm

SHANGHAI CN
-

1/19/2013 - Saturday
11:00 pm
At local FedEx facility

SHANGHAI CN
-

1/18/2013 - Friday
6:53 pm
Left FedEx origin facility

SHANGHAI CN
6:52 pm
Picked up

SHANGHAI CN

Package received after FedEx cutoff
5:29 am
Shipment information sent to FedEx

The box is so much bigger than I imagined, had to take a cab from work. SO worth the wait!!!
•
MOUSE 065-0661 APPLE MAGIC MOUSE
•
•
PAGES 065-C13D NONE
•
NUMBERS 065-C13F

Thanks for letting us know. :) glad you like it!

dts2000

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
I ordered mine back in Dec 25 and just got it on Monday Jan 15.
but, I noticed if you ordered after Jan 15 the wait was a lot shorter.
Maybe Apple is finally catching up to the pre orders? I think I ordered mine at the worst time? I was starting thinking about canceling but I'm glad I stuck with it. It's def worth the wait.

IMac 27"
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA Drive

MAGIC TRACKPAD

large farva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
The average wait now seems to be 15-20 days from order to shipment.
Now, the wait continues:)

Well if that's the case, then my iMac should ship any time between tomorrow (Jan. 25th), and Wednesday (Jan. 30th). I hope it's sooner, because everything I've been seeing, with some orders placed on the 2nd - 4th already shipping or going to "Preparing For Shipment", it seems like that would be the case. Especially since the Apple rep I spoke with on the phone told me that he's seeing the January 27" iMac orders shipping a week ahead of schedule. I hope he's right. Because I already have my lawn chair ready to be sitting on the driveway, and a cooler ready to be full of Pepsi. I wish I had a laptop so I could be dicking around while I'm outside, but oh well. I'll have a laptop as soon as I'm able to decide between the Classic MacBook Pro and the Retina MacBook Pro. I'll probably wait until mid year, because I have been hearing rumors than the Retina MBP's will be getting revamped some. Who knows what they'll do. Also, maybe by then they'll do away with the defective LG displays in the rMBPs, and either just stick with Samsung, or find someone to replace LG, like Sharp or whoever.

-------------------

I ordered mine back in Dec 25 and just got it on Monday Jan 15.
but, I noticed if you ordered after Jan 15 the wait was a lot shorter.
Maybe Apple is finally catching up to the pre orders? I think I ordered mine at the worst time? I was starting thinking about canceling but I'm glad I stuck with it. It's def worth the wait.

IMac 27"
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA Drive

MAGIC TRACKPAD

I hear ya. I have been struggling this past week or so, constantly thinking about whether or not I should just place an order for a rMBP or cMBP, and cancel the iMac order until the iMacs have a far shorter ship time. But then I thought, hell, my iMac very well may ship out this week or next week, so it would be pointless to cancel the order now, because if I order a rMBP, with the 1-3 ship time, it would probably take 3 days to go to prepared for shipping, then later that day or the next ship, so that's four days, on top on the 5 days for delivery. So I wouldn't be getting it THAT much sooner. Unless I decided to take a 1-1/2 hour drive to the closest Apple Store at the Florida Mall in Orlando. They have quite a few iMacs in stock, and they also have rMBPs and cMBPs (with the Hi-Res 1680x1050 display too). So I could have bought one of them then too. The only thing that really stopped me, was that the only one they had similar to mine was the 3.4GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion, 680MX iMac, which was $2599. More than I want to spend on this computer, and I really don't want the Fusion Drive right now, so that was out of the question.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Ordered On Jan 8, 2013 from their Flagship store in NYC for New York delivery.

Configuration:
  • 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
  • 3TB Fusion Drive
  • NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5
  • MAGIC TRACKPAD
  • Apple WL Kybd (English)+UG
  • COUNTRY KIT

Nothing since the original order was placed.
Still stuck in "Processing".

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
Well if that's the case, then my iMac should ship any time between tomorrow (Jan. 25th), and Wednesday (Jan. 30th). I hope it's sooner, because everything I've been seeing, with some orders placed on the 2nd - 4th already shipping or going to "Preparing For Shipment", it seems like that would be the case. Especially since the Apple rep I spoke with on the phone told me that he's seeing the January 27" iMac orders shipping a week ahead of schedule. I hope he's right. Because I already have my lawn chair ready to be sitting on the driveway, and a cooler ready to be full of Pepsi. I wish I had a laptop so I could be dicking around while I'm outside, but oh well. I'll have a laptop as soon as I'm able to decide between the Classic MacBook Pro and the Retina MacBook Pro. I'll probably wait until mid year, because I have been hearing rumors than the Retina MBP's will be getting revamped some. Who knows what they'll do. Also, maybe by then they'll do away with the defective LG displays in the rMBPs, and either just stick with Samsung, or find someone to replace LG, like Sharp or whoever.

-------------------

I hear ya. I have been struggling this past week or so, constantly thinking about whether or not I should just place an order for a rMBP or cMBP, and cancel the iMac order until the iMacs have a far shorter ship time. But then I thought, hell, my iMac very well may ship out this week or next week, so it would be pointless to cancel the order now, because if I order a rMBP, with the 1-3 ship time, it would probably take 3 days to go to prepared for shipping, then later that day or the next ship, so that's four days, on top on the 5 days for delivery. So I wouldn't be getting it THAT much sooner. Unless I decided to take a 1-1/2 hour drive to the closest Apple Store at the Florida Mall in Orlando. They have quite a few iMacs in stock, and they also have rMBPs and cMBPs (with the Hi-Res 1680x1050 display too). So I could have bought one of them then too. The only thing that really stopped me, was that the only one they had similar to mine was the 3.4GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion, 680MX iMac, which was $2599. More than I want to spend on this computer, and I really don't want the Fusion Drive right now, so that was out of the question.

I can't wait for the fusion. Ssd is great for impatient people like me:)

large farva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
I can't wait for the fusion. Ssd is great for impatient people like me:)

I'll admit that the Fusion Drive sounds like a great thing in theory. If it performs exactly as it's supposed to. I just haven't seen enough extensive information into it, or people's reactions to it once it's been used for a while and the 128GB is filled up. I do know that it leaves 4GB free in the SSD at all times, no matter how full it is, so make sure that even if the 128GB of SSD is full, it will still download at SSD speeds. But, in that test, it showed that if your SSD is full and you are downloading anything over 4GB, it's going to drastically slow down, and some parts of the download will be on the SSD, and other parts will be on the HDD. And me not knowing exactly how that affects anything, and such, really makes it hard to me to accept the technology just yet, until it's been proven to be trustworthy and functions perfectly. It really doesn't help that I have OCD also, lol..

Also, I think it would be worth noting, but I must say I don't know how true this is, it's just something from an article that I read about the new Fusion Drive. If a files gets read and rewritten enough times, isn't there a possibility of the file being corrupted? Though I haven't heard of this happening, yet, maybe because it just wont, or because everyone's Fusion Drives (the people that DO have them already) are fairly young in age. Who knows.

NOW, if I had the funds available at the time, I would have greatly preferred selecting the 768GB SSD. Over the Serial ATAs, and Fusion Drives. That would have been really amazing. BUT, I didn't have the extra dough for THAT computer at that time. Who knows, maybe later on I just might be able to upgrade this iMac to the 768GB SSD, or maybe even an even larger capacity aftermarket one, once they become more available and a little cheaper. If not, then I'll likely just sell this iMac, or put it in the office, and purchase another WITH the 768GB SSD. Though I wouldn't even consider doing this until the ship time estimates are at least under 10 days, lol.

Last edited:

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
I'll admit that the Fusion Drive sounds like a great thing in theory. If it performs exactly as it's supposed to. I just haven't seen enough extensive information into it, or people's reactions to it once it's been used for a while and the 128GB is filled up. I do know that it leaves 4GB free in the SSD at all times, no matter how full it is, so make sure that even if the 128GB of SSD is full, it will still download at SSD speeds. But, in that test, it showed that if your SSD is full and you are downloading anything over 4GB, it's going to drastically slow down, and some parts of the download will be on the SSD, and other parts will be on the HDD. And me not knowing exactly how that affects anything, and such, really makes it hard to me to accept the technology just yet, until it's been proven to be trustworthy and functions perfectly. It really doesn't help that I have OCD also, lol..

Also, I think it would be worth noting, but I must say I don't know how true this is, it's just something from an article that I read about the new Fusion Drive. If a files gets read and rewritten enough times, isn't there a possibility of the file being corrupted? Though I haven't heard of this happening, yet, maybe because it just wont, or because everyone's Fusion Drives (the people that DO have them already) are fairly young in age. Who knows.

If it were any other company other than Apple I'm sure I'd be more wary. However ( perhaps naively ) I trust them not to put crap technology in a system

I'm hoping its possible to upgrade the ssd part at some point with a larger capacity drive.

large farva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
If it were any other company other than Apple I'm sure I'd be more wary. However ( perhaps naively ) I trust them not to put crap technology in a system

I'm hoping its possible to upgrade the ssd part at some point with a larger capacity drive.

I also trust Apple's technology. Especially far over other companies out there. It just something I try not to do. Getting on board with something until it's been proven and I can see with my own eyes that it's proven. If I had another Mac, I would have probably been more likely to go along with it, seeing as it the iMac wouldn't be my only Mac.

ag1571

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Just changed to preparing for shipping

finally... Ordered January 1. Base model 3.2 no fusion.

Started to wonder.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
I think the factory is closed for Chinese holiday.

The 21.5 delivery wait extended too.

It makes sense I suppose as much as I don't like it

Miikejs22

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Liverpool
I think the factory is closed for Chinese holiday.

The 21.5 delivery wait extended too.

It makes sense I suppose as much as I don't like it

So is the factory actually closed and production has stopped? or is this a estimated guess?

I am expecting a change in status for my order by Wednesday next week. I've phoned a few Apple stores within reasonable distance of me getting their and they are all out of stock of my spec iMac. :(

How does one put their details on the spreadsheet? Can anyone edit it?

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
So is the factory actually closed and production has stopped? or is this a estimated guess?

I am expecting a change in status for my order by Wednesday next week. I've phoned a few Apple stores within reasonable distance of me getting their and they are all out of stock of my spec iMac. :(

yes anyone can edit it

same order date right? 9/1 and you live up the road?

a lot of factories in China are closed. that is fact. I do not know for certain if the Apple factory is one of them but it is likely. ( i know someone who lives and works there) Its Chinese new year and it is a big deal.

again... Ive seen little/if any in the way of order status changing this week, So it is an educated guess based on the change from last week to this and the Chinese holidays, and the fact that at the same time the 21" models extended their delivery window.

I'd love to be wrong though!

Last edited:

grizfan

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012
Boise, ID
I also trust Apple's technology. Especially far over other companies out there. It just something I try not to do. Getting on board with something until it's been proven and I can see with my own eyes that it's proven. If I had another Mac, I would have probably been more likely to go along with it, seeing as it the iMac wouldn't be my only Mac.

The concept behind the Fusion drive has been around for quite a while. I built a windows gaming box using an SSD caching drive this past summer for a friend, using a 50GB SSD and a 1TB, 5400 rpm platter drive. Its been completely stable and hands off. I'm not sure how the Apple Fusion drive works, but if it is anything like the solution I used, the OS sees the 2 drives as a single drive and manages the data stored on the SSD, keeping the most frequently accessed data on the SSD and the less used data on the platter drive. you never "run out of space" on the SSD, the management software constantly adjusts what is stored on the SSD based on use patterns. With a 128GB SSD, that software has more flexibility on what to cache on the SSD. It should be seamless, set and forget, you just have to trust the management software. Once you stop trusting it, you defeat the whole purpose and wind up with 2 drives and the burden of managing all that yourself.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Yes anyone can add their own status or update. It will update automatically.
Chinese New Years may affect it to some extent but it is mostly a guess on everyone's part I think including my guess.

Fifemacuser

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Ordered Jan 11
27" I5 3.2
1tb fusion
680mx 2gb
magic trackpad & numeric keyboard

delivery estimate Feb 8-15th
as of Jan23 still in "Processing"

Will be keeping a close eye on yours, same spec and ordered a week later. And delivery 15-22n! Please keep us updated please!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.