Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone app needed to unlock much of the functionality of the Pebble e-paper smart watch is now available for download from the iTunes Store - just in time for the first deliveries of the devices.

photo-full1.jpg

Pebble had previously suggested that the iPhone app might not be available in time for early deliveries of the watch, which set new records for a Kickstarter project in raising over $10 million in funding.

Pebble provides a range of ways to interact with the iPhone in your pocket via Bluetooth link, including caller ID, SMS and iMessage alerts, calendar reminders, email, Facebook and Twitter messages.

Article Link: Pebble App Launches Just in Time for First Smart Watch Deliveries

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Can't wait for mine to ship. Been a long time coming, but I'm glad they didn't rush it and made sure it's a high quality product. Plus, the addition of an accelerometer is a bonus.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
It's really weird you have to "plug-in" to charge.

They should have made them solar powered or induction charged. It's a hassle to keep a charging cable by the bed every night.

Otherwise neat idea. I'll probably wait for v2.0.

heghead

macrumors member
May 30, 2010
Australia

They should have made them solar powered or induction charged. It's a hassle to keep a charging cable by the bed every night.

It's even more difficult to keep the sun by the bed every night :D

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
It's even more difficult to keep the sun by the bed every night :D

My citizen eco-drive watches have pretty much a perpetual battery. A couple minutes of direct sunlight or 5 - 10 minutes under a lamp is all that it needs to keep it charged.

Yes, Pebble uses Bluetooth which uses more power, but Citizen has a bluetooth watch (Citizen Proximity) watch which is solar powered. Even the new GPS watches from Seiko and Citizen are solar powered.

Solar powered watches are very practical and have become the core power technology for most Citizen and Seiko watches these days...

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX

Induction charging also uses a cable, and a dock/pad thing. So how is that better?

Maybe someone can start a kickstarter to make a combo Pebble/iPhone dock stand thing that can rotue cables to charge both?

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Induction charging also uses a cable, and a dock/pad thing. So how is that better?

I don't need to fumble with the cable when charging... With induction, you can just plunk the watch onto the pad and off to bed you go!

But ideally it will be solar so no charging required like my Eco-Drive watches.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
My citizen eco-drive watches have pretty much a perpetual battery. A couple minutes of direct sunlight or 5 - 10 minutes under a lamp is all that it needs to keep it charged.

Yes, Pebble uses Bluetooth which uses more power, but Citizen has a bluetooth watch (Citizen Proximity) watch which is solar powered. Even the new GPS watches from Seiko and Citizen are solar powered.

Solar powered watches are very practical and have become the core power technology for most Citizen and Seiko watches these days...

Pebble 2.0? My guess is they'd rather get the core features down first and then they will work on having it be solar powered, etc.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
-hi, do you have the time please?

- yeah sure, one moment, which button was it, "beep/beep", oops, great timing, ok, it's twelve fif...Where did she go?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Absolutely no way to get enough energy to charge by solar alone for Pebble. The charging process is no more hassle than your phone, also, unlike your phone Pebble should last 7 days on a approximately a 2 hour charge.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

*sigh* and the features on those kinds of watches use much less power - think orders of magnitude less.

The Citizen you mention is also almost four times the cost of Pebble and the meagre smart features which is does have, are reportedly very broken.
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/12/26/review-citizen-eco-drive-proximity-watch-for-iphone-4s-and-ipho/

Last edited:

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Absolutely no way to get enough energy to charge by solar alone for Pebble. The charging process is no more hassle than your phone, also, unlike your phone Pebble should last 7 days on a approximately a 2 hour charge.

Still, I think people will find it a hassle to charge their watch. We have enough devices to keep powered.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Still, I think people will find it a hassle to charge their watch.

Well based on how popular Pebble has been there are lots of people who disagree.

Also, people found it a hassle to charge their smart phones once a day after having week long batteries previously.... people adapt.

b0r1s

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
Staffordshire
How can people on the App Store be giving the app 5 star reviews when all it does is open and give you a link to help and tech support?!

Idiots!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.