Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
What's everyone's thoughts? Deciding between an external or synology nas set up. The mini will constantly be on just not sure of the true benefits with one over the other besides just a storage standpoint. Is a nas really worth it or start with a thunderbolt 2big LaCie and daisy chain from that if needed. Just looking to do streaming to other devices on and off the network at home. Just beyond confused with what to do!

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Well I keep an external 3TB on my Mini and stream from there 24/7.

A NAS would be useful if you have other computers that would access the file share (without disturbing the mac).

I find that external for my needs is fine as it stays on 24/7 and serves content to the household (mum, sister and my nephew). I think with a NAS the overhead of multiple streams being read from network share and then re-transmitted over the same network could potentially have slow down issues.

With my setup I don't really notice when others are streaming from my mini even when I am using it. (only notice if I am doing disk intensive tasks or gaming and both are rare for me).

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
If the mini is going to be on 24/7 isn't the nas unnecessary ?

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Ive just been reading so much information I think my brain exploded. Between which mini to buy and what storage to get and upgrading ram etc.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Does the data need to be accessed from more than one computer? NAS.

Is the data dedicated to the Mac Mini? External.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Does the data need to be accessed from more than one computer? NAS.

Is the data dedicated to the Mac Mini? External.

My biggest concern with a NAS is the transfer speeds. The synology has USB 2.0 which can be connected to the mini and that would still be a slow speed and the other option of having the nas plugged in with Ethernet and transferring large files to it over the network would be slow as well I assume. Then if I wanted a synology USB 3.0 nas it's quite a bit more chunk of change.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Share the external drive on the mini on your network, run plex server on it,

boom

I've gone between the two xbmc and plex and honestly unless I haven't really played around much with plex xbmc's UI is hands down on top of plex. Xbmc with the Aeon skin is gorgeous.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
I've gone between the two xbmc and plex and honestly unless I haven't really played around much with plex xbmc's UI is hands down on top of plex. Xbmc with the Aeon skin is gorgeous.

what has me sold on plex is that the ios app is dumb simple,

even the elderly can use an ios device to stream a library remotely and send to tv with airplay.

you can set up your mini to share everything you want for a lower cost than buying a seperate synology,

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
what has me sold on plex is that the ios app is dumb simple,

even the elderly can use an ios device to stream a library remotely and send to tv with airplay.

you can set up your mini to share everything you want for a lower cost than buying a seperate synology,

You are correct. Plex is an awesome server and I'll keep it running but during normal viewing xbmc beats ples hands down for their UI.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Gotcha. Learn something new everyday!

Blue is correct -most NAS boxes with a usb support a printer (for sharing) and hard disk/lash disk sometimes for haring, u often for backing up data on the NAS.

I don't remember seeing a NAS that supports connecting to a computer via usb.

b.gif

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
nas are nice due to cat 6 wire connection you can stash it in your home out of site and mind. my home is all cat wire. with a wired router and a switch .

I have a lot of computers connected to the net. due to bitcoin mining and it just works better hard wired.

I use a 5 port router to 3 8 port switches it allows a max of 22 pcs/nas attached.

I have 10 pcs 1 nas and 3 minis or 14 out of 22 hooked up.

the minis share the nas the pcs do not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.