Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StelFoog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Sweden
Hi!

I have a bunch of friends that use PC and we want to game together!
The most important thing is that is should have a good online mode. It shouldn't be an all FPS game, it's OK if it's implemented in the game but please nothing like Battlefield or CoD.
Nothing that cost money to play like WoW, because who seriously has that much money to waste.
Preferably free, but it's not a must.
Also if it was a bit of RPG in it would be good.

Thanks to all who reply or even just read this.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Are you all Lord of the Rings fans? Lord of the Rings Online (LotRO) seems to meet all of your wickets, including the zero cost paradigm. It's on Steam, in SteamPlay, so join in the fray with your Win or Mac and take your grubby fingers off of the precious!

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
What about Blizzard's Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3?

Other than that, I'd recommend Lord of the Rings Online, which is very much enjoyable even without spending a dime on it.

StelFoog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Sweden
What about Blizzard's Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3?

Other than that, I'd recommend Lord of the Rings Online, which is very much enjoyable even without spending a dime on it.

I've tried Diablo III, great game but online mode is horrible in my opinion (and my friends too).

But I'll try Lord of the Rings Online.

Should have said that I'd like a game you can just enter, nothing like Civ V or Starcraft II (if Starcraft II is a "quick-enter" kinda' game I've been badly informed). But I'll still try watching some videos of it.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
left 4 dead 2, team fortress 2,counter strike,portal all great games that work with pc if you dont mind giving this fps's a go :)

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
I've tried Diablo III, great game but online mode is horrible in my opinion (and my friends too).

But I'll try Lord of the Rings Online.

Should have said that I'd like a game you can just enter, nothing like Civ V or Starcraft II (if Starcraft II is a "quick-enter" kinda' game I've been badly informed). But I'll still try watching some videos of it.

Wow. You're extremely picky. You want a game you can just "pick up and play" without any kind of commitment and preferably without dropping a dime. Sorry, they don't make games for people like you.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012

It's actually quite easy to get into Starcraft 2, but the problem with the multiplayer is that there are people playing it for ages. If your friends are not like them, you might have fun if you are just starting out.:)

Guild Wars 2 is still in beta and somewhat poorly optimised for the Mac. No subscription fees, but the initial price is a bit steep.

----------

Wow. You're extremely picky. You want a game you can just "pick up and play" without any kind of commitment and preferably without dropping a dime. Sorry, they don't make games for people like you.

When is the last time you checked out the Top Grossing > Games category on the App Store. Most of them are free, most of them you can play with your brain dead. :D

StelFoog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Sweden
left 4 dead 2, team fortress 2,counter strike,portal all great games that work with pc if you dont mind giving this fps's a go :)

Sadly I do :(, there's probably is only a few FPS's I like. I know of only 2, Borderlands & Borderlands 2.
If anyone finds games like those please tell me!

P.S. I think of Portal as more of a puzzle game than an FPS, I really like both Portal & Portal 2. I should try the multiplayer mode on them :D.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
SingularityG said:
When is the last time you checked out the Top Grossing > Games category on the App Store. Most of them are free, most of them you can play with your brain dead. :D

lol, fair enough :D

Erko

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Estonia
What about Path of Exile? http://www.pathofexile.com/. Although it hasn't got a native Mac version, it has this unofficial patch http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1. Runs fairly ok on my old Unibody Macbook with 9400m graphics(a few slowdowns when there's much action going on and fps is overall 20-25). Installing it is a breeze, all you have to do is download the wrapper, unzip it, and your ready to go.
The game itself is really awsome, should be a lot like Diablo and Diablo 2. It's currently in open beta and best of all, completely FREE! I really reccomend checking this out.

MasConejos

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Houston, TX
I run a bi-yearly LAN party of mixed Mac/PCs, with a mixed casual/hardcore group (usually about 8-12 people total).

Games we play:
Babo: Madballs (on steam) - Fun 3rd person arcade battle with free for all or teams; has a fun assault mode where you build a map out of tiles collaboratively, then try to assault the other team's reactor while protecting your own. Maps are smallish and you re-spawn quickly for minimal downtime. Has lots of classes and weapons that are easy to unlock.
Galcon Fusion (on steam) - Arcade like strategy game where you assault each other's planets. It's a pain to register the game for multiplayer the first time, and lobbies are confusing, but once it is up it is fun. Rounds usually last 2-5 minutes. There are about 8 different game modes.
Armagetron (free) - old, but surprisingly fun in groups.
L4D2 (steam) - works great with casual players due to the team based asymmetrical combat

Other games we've done:
Serious Sam The First Encounter - co-op campaign mode. Shoot till you run out of ammo, switch to next gun, shoot till you run out of ammo, switch guns, etc
DOTA (WC3) - Fun as long as everyone is at the same skill level (preferably having never played before). Not so much fun once people's skill levels start to separate, so after a couple of parties I had to drop it.

Game I'm considering:
Gang Garrison 2 (free) - 8-bit side scrolling version of TF2. It is Windows native, but plays fine in crossover games

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.