Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr FranknFurter

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Cambridge UK
Ok I know there is lots of threads, guides etc but none seem to cover my issue.

Currently iTunes Library on my Macbook Air with MEDIA on my external HDD.

New iMac here but I am keeping the Macbook Air as well so I just want to mirror the Library but have the media on the iMac as well

Used migration assistant for accounts and Apps from Time Capsule back up (ext HDD also backed up here) and all ok except iTunes. The library is there (all be it most of the album art missing) but it cant find the media so obviously this has not been copied. Re pointing the media file to the external media does not help, still does not see it.

How do I copy the media from the HDD and retain the Art Work and Library etc correctly?

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Ok I know there is lots of threads, guides etc but none seem to cover my issue.

Currently iTunes Library on my Macbook Air with MEDIA on my external HDD.

New iMac here but I am keeping the Macbook Air as well so I just want to mirror the Library but have the media on the iMac as well

Used migration assistant for accounts and Apps from Time Capsule back up (ext HDD also backed up here) and all ok except iTunes. The library is there (all be it most of the album art missing) but it cant find the media so obviously this has not been copied. Re pointing the media file to the external media does not help, still does not see it.

How do I copy the media from the HDD and retain the Art Work and Library etc correctly?

Can you not just copy your itunes folder, put it in a shared network folder then drop it into your new itunes ?

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
(1) On your iMac open new Finder window.

(2) Locate iTunes under your User name from the LHS. Leave it there.

(3) Plug in external HDD into the back of the iMac.

(4) Open HDD in new Finder window.

(5) Find iTunes library on external HDD.

(6) Drag it across to the original Finder window in step (2).

That should do it.

Dr FranknFurter

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Cambridge UK
Thanks guys, doing just that now (trial and error lol) figured worst case scenario is erase and start again since the set up on my Air is perfect and i'm not intending to mess around with that.

Copied it all across by replacing the existing media folder with that from the HDD, now doing the coy files from consolidate music to try and get the art work etc. Seems to be re-cooying all files though? lets see what happens:D

Dr FranknFurter

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Cambridge UK
Ok so that appears to have worked but about 20% of the album art work is missing? strange as 100% is there on the Macbook Air and I migrated the Library and now copied the Media across so why would some of the art work be missing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.