Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
They need to look at the reliability of iMessage on the Mac. For Mac users it sucks, we expect more from Apple.

Can't wait for iTV.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
It's enabled by default to replace text messaging. Half the people who use it don't even know they're using it. It's not popular in the traditional sense where something new comes out that everybody wants to get and use.

True, but it does become very apperent when you text a non iPhone number that you are not using imessage.

If it wasn't set by default, I would have enabled it once I knew it was available.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This is the biggest disappointment for me. Match has the most potential for Apple, IMO, providing convenience and quality at a bargain price. Unfortunately it truly is a mess right now. If it's fixed, it could be huge.

Works fine for me. Over 20,000 songs on iPhone, iPad, computer in my study, computer at work. It even matched songs that I recorded myself from LPs.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
iCloud not ready for me

Not sure what happened over the Christmas break but iCloud messed me up.
A complete strangers photos appeared in my Photo Stream including gross pictures of a sonogram and pregnant woman's belly, very weird!

I deleted everything then my iPhone lost all contacts (except for what I presume were the other guys phone numbers) Apple were less than helpful and I ended up restring to a back up from months ago.

Just an anecdote but I'm not ready to touch Cloud Anything for a looong time...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Give us a Windows client for iCloud so we can drop files into it like Dropbox. That would help a bit with companies invested in iOS who are using Dropbox right now.

You can't do that with a Mac so until that happens, you won't see a Windows version.

----------

What they just realised cloud computing is the future now! if only they had got Mobileme right in the first place.

Reliability aside, many folks think that MobileMe was right and that's what Apple needs to go back to.

----------

True, but it does become very apperent when you text a non iPhone number that you are not using imessage.

I know a lot of folks that don't understand what the two colors mean and still don't understand why you can't iMessage to non Apple products.

----------

I find it amusing that for almost any other company, massive growth in a key service in terms of users and profits levels that didn't go down would push the stock value up, but with Apple it goes down. Given that the veil of 'Steve worked on that' is ending (erroneously perhaps since tech companies develop stuff for years before we hear about it) this is now the first perceived 'Tim Cook's Apple' period and since he's seen as a numbers man and not a designer many didn't expect much. That things stayed steady in terms of profit should be seen as a good thing. Demand is good on the iMacs which is why the supply hasn't recovered etc, iPhone sales are good, the iPad mini is flying off the shelves. Steve would have been proud of that, I think. So why the fleeing from the ship

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
first 2 posts are negative ones. What a surprise :rolleyes:.

i have used iCloud since day 1. Dropbox still does a lot of things better than icloud.

----------

Give us a Windows client for iCloud so we can drop files into it like Dropbox. That would help a bit with companies invested in iOS who are using Dropbox right now.

you go to icloud.com and you can kind of do that. i upload MS Word files into it, then open the file in pages on my phone or ipad

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
A few of my wishes/thoughts about Apple cloud services:

1. Apple could & should enable full i-device backups to iCloud with no size limits and for free. Right now the limit and the hassle of purchasing (especially when you have several devices) is simply not "it just works". Users should not think about it at all, if you buy Apple product, everything is safely and automatically backed up in tjhe cloud. No managing.

2. We need place for files. I think Apple is wrong with their "no visible file system at all" philosophy. At least let it be enabled for "advanced" users. Until then Dropbox is solution, but it's not 100% what is truly needed.

3. I don't like how the Photostream currently works. I want it to be fully automatic, fully sychronised with iPhoto/Aperture (also events, folders and so on) with possibilty to "stream" photos form Mac. AND - why the hell videos are still not synchronised?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
i have used iCloud since day 1. Dropbox still does a lot of things better than icloud.

----------

you go to icloud.com and you can kind of do that. i upload MS Word files into it, then open the file in pages on my phone or ipad

I'm not sure you understand the extent of iCloud?

----------

sorry for missing teh sarcasm by the way guys. Its been a long day :eek:

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
My Mom is on iCloud and it is working great to keep the iPad and iPhone sync'd without a Mac.

I am not on iCloud yet, I hope to be this weekend. For it is embarrassing that my Mom is more high tech than me.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Almost forgot my biggest wish for iCloud - iMessages done the right way! I NEED ALL MY MESSAGES to be synchronised, not only iMessages, damn it! I want to see my SMSs on my Mac, I want to be able to reply to them (let it happen by first synching to iPhone and then automatically sending it via regular SMS). Of course, there will be warnings about carrier charges, the same colour indicator and so on. But currently the iMessage is incomplete solution. I will NEVER have everyone in my contacts with Apple devices. That will NEVER happen.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Almost forgot my biggest wish for iCloud - iMessages done the right way! I NEED ALL MY MESSAGES to be synchronised, not only iMessages, damn it! I want to see my SMSs on my Mac, I want to be able to reply to them (let it happen by first synching to iPhone and then automatically sending it via regular SMS). Of course, there will be warnings about carrier charges, the same colour indicator and so on. But currently the iMessage is incomplete solution. I will NEVER have everyone in my contacts with Apple devices. That will NEVER happen.

Syncing your messages would require access to third party messaging services and that requires contractual agreements. Or are you going to think people who use iMessage exclusively chat only to Apple based server accounts?

ConCat

macrumors 6502a

But we don't need iCloud to do that because we have Dropbox. I doubt Apple could do Dropbox better than Dropbox already has, and they wouldn't because Apple is all about not having to manage files these days.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
iCloud works perfectly for me. My household runs 4 iPhones, 2 iPads, 1 iPad Mini 3 Apple TV's, an iMac, Macbook Pro and 3 PC's. 4 iCloud email accounts (were .Mac, then MobileMe) and iTunes Match. All cabling is gigabit and connected to an Airport extreme and Airport Express linked to a 100Mb cable service.

I have an extensive iTunes library which is stored on the iMac in its entirety and syncs with iTunes Match. This is then served to all other devices. iTunes also serves all TV and Movie content to the Apple TV's.

Just renewed iTunes Match yesterday as it has worked perfectly since day one.

iMessage is used heavily as the majority of my friends and co-workers now have iPhones along with many of our customers.

One thing I would like to see from Apple straight away is an updated video player in the iPad based on the Remote app.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
iCloud works perfectly for me. My household runs 4 iPhones, 2 iPads, 1 iPad Mini 3 Apple TV's, an iMac, Macbook Pro and 3 PC's. 4 iCloud email accounts (were .Mac, then MobileMe) and iTunes Match. All cabling is gigabit and connected to an Airport extreme and Airport Express linked to a 100Mb cable service.

I have an extensive iTunes library which is stored on the iMac in its entirety and syncs with iTunes Match. This is then served to all other devices. iTunes also serves all TV and Movie content to the Apple TV's.

Just renewed iTunes Match yesterday as it has worked perfectly since day one.

iMessage is used heavily as the majority of my friends and co-workers now have iPhones along with many of our customers.

One thing I would like to see from Apple straight away is an updated video player in the iPad based on the Remote app.

Sums up my experience as well. I'd just like to see more iCloud-enabled apps and true iTunes Match streaming for my music. More free storage would be nice too.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Not sure how they would do it exactly

I just wish in apple mail it would sync my inbox and outbox between all my Macs and iPad, for my work and icloud email addresses

iCloud mail will sync between all of your devices if you have them configured as IMAP accounts. Same goes for your work, maybe they should invest in a proper mail service?

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Fix all the bugs in iCloud. It is so unreliable. Sometimes delayed mail, and the bookmarks and favorites don't always show in Safari (on my iPhone) iTunes Match screwed up the order in my smart playlists. No web hosting or iDisk like in Mobile Me.

How hard is it? Google can do it, so can DropBox and all the other cloud services.

I don't think it's the difficulty; after all, they offered a disk in the cloud with iTools over a decade ago. Rather, it's a philosophical shift on Apple's part; a desire to move away from traditional file systems based on the fact that the learning curve for computers tends to steepen dramatically when people encounter the file system. That's why Apple's been tinkering with app based file systems and rejiggered the way Mac apps handles files ("duplicate" instead of "save as" for example). I don't think they're there yet, but I like the fact that they're working on it... hopefully, they'll succeed.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
And yet iCloud is the most convoluted of the bunch. other than backing up my iPhone data, iCloud is useless. Dropbox is a much better solution and I can access ANY document I put there on any device, any computer - WITH EASE.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I'm not sure you understand the extent of iCloud?

----------

sorry for missing teh sarcasm by the way guys. Its been a long day :eek:

there is not much extent to icloud

i dump lots of official documents into dropbox. i scan them with my iphone and the app converts them into a pdf and uploads to dropbox. if i need them i have access to them anywhere from any device and any OS.

i scan my day care receipts this way, dump to dropbox and then put in an FSA claim all online with no paper and no faxing. impossible with icloud.

icloud is like al gores social security lock box.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
And yet iCloud is the most convoluted of the bunch. other than backing up my iPhone data, iCloud is useless. Dropbox is a much better solution and I can access ANY document I put there on any device, any computer - WITH EASE.

It could seem convoluted to you because you've grown accustomed to the traditional file system and have been managing your files that way for years. For people like my parents, accessing files from within the app is far simpler and more intuitive. My mom accesses her Pages files from her iPad and iPhone and the docs are always in sync.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
If iCloud is the future, then why isn't Apple investing some time and resources to improve it?

I keep saying, it's software not hardware that is the near term future. And Apple hasn't put nearly the resources necessary into software development on the iOS side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.