Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charisma7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
(Lots and lots of questions)

Hey, guys (and gals). I'm very new to this, and I swear I've done nothing but search for the answers for days, but can't seem to find exactly what I need. I'm looking to jailbreak an iphone 4 running 5.1.1. Currently, it has about 500 pictures and 200 songs. Only about 7 installed apps. Most of what I've read tells me to make a complete iTunes backup of my phone first. That's fine, and I can completely handle that part.

Anyway, some things I've read tell me to go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset all Settings before attempting the jailbreak. Other things have told me to Erase All Content and Settings. With the amount of media I have (as stated above), do you think this is necessary if attempting an Absinthe jailbreak?

My next question...after I make the iTunes backup and perform the jailbreak (whether I reset settings or not), if I want/need to perform a restore from that backup, most of what I've read says that doing so will ALSO update the ios and there's basically no way around that. But...wouldn't doing so ruin the jailbreak? Or is there another way to "restore" things without updating my ios?

Basically, I guess what I truly need is a thorough, step-by-step process, being completely (obviously and devastatingly) new to this. If there's some other program out there (not absinthe) that doesn't require a backup and restore and will preserve the 5.1.1, I guess I'd like to know that, as well.

Or if I'm missing something extremely simple, that would be good, as well.

Thank you all SO MUCH for any help/guidance/patience you can send my way.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Two different things:
1 Backing up your content in itunes this backup you can later restore or put back on your device
2 restoring the firmware, overwriting your current firmware and start as new

The reason you need to erase all settings is because it is best to have an empty phone, absinthe use the backup/restore content function of itunes, if it is filed up with stuff things might go wrong and get you stuck with a non-functioning phone.

So do this:
1 backup up your content with itunes
2 hit erase all settings (never do this on a jailbroken phone)
3 jailbreak with redsn0w 09.15b3 or absinthe 2.04
4 restore your content backup from itunes (right click on your iphone shown on the leftside of itunes "restore from backup")

Step 4 does not erase your firmware, that is done only if you hit the restore in the main screen of itunes.

charisma7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your reply. Just a couple more things, because (as is probably apparent) I've never done anything like this before.

I often sync my phone with iTunes, which is pretty much does automatically everytime I plug it in to the Mac. Is performing a full back-up different? I know that I'll want to make sure to back up/transfer my purchased apps, but I read somewhere that I may need to do something special with the camera roll. Is this the case? If so...how do I ensure that's done correctly?

Next...by "Erase all Settings," do I do this by going to Settings-> General-> Reset -> Reset all Settings? Or do I choose "Erase All Content and Settings?" And do I do this on my actual phone, or am I supposed to do it through iTunes somehow? And just to double-check, resetting the settings won't do anything to the firmware, right? I'll still have 5.1.1 installed?

I've read many things about people who've had their jailbreaks go "wrong" and were informed that because they'd erased their settings, they have no choice but to be stuck on ios 6. Maybe those people are being misleading (unintentionally or not); I don't know.

And finally (please bear with me, here), after I make the back-up, should I close iTunes before downloading and running Absinthe? And to restore the back-up, should I do anything like unplug my phone, start iTunes, then re-plug it in or anything? Or can I just leave it connected the whole time?

I know that's probably an incredibly dumb question, but I figure that forewarned is forearmed and I'd rather do it right the first time.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
no problem

your regular backup when connecting to itunes is enough, all pics/vids are saved, nothing special to do.

It is "erase all settings and content" you wipe your phone clean and have a fresh start, like i said you can only do this on a stock phone. Once you have jailbroken DON'T do that, the jailbreak changes the file structure, so when you do that it will get stuck, i have a jailbreak tweak installed which disables that feature just to be sure. That is what you read about. In your case you can do that no problem to prepare for the jailbreak.

Just follow instuctions on redsn0w or absinthe 2.04 as far as i know you can leave it plugged in.

charisma7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Okay, last question (I hope).

Let's say something goes wrong with the jailbreak and I get stuck. I can restore from the backup without any issues, right?

And then...let's say I DO the jailbreak and it works, but I end up not liking it. Long shot, I know, but...with 5.1.1 no longer being supported/signed/whatever-the-terminology-is, will I still be able to remove the jailbreak without upgrading to 6.x?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Your backup works on 5.x and 6.x

No, only way to get rid of a jailbreak is a full restore, as you don't have SHSH's for 5.1.1 you can only restore to the currently signed firmware: 6.01

But if you don't like the jailbreak it is better to be on the newest stock anyway :)

charisma7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Thank you again. This is probably pretty much going to be a recap of another great tutorial already out there, but for n00bs like me, that might be a good thing. On an iPhone 4 currently running 5.1.1, these will be my steps:

1) Perform a complete iTunes backup under "Devices" and by clicking the "Back Up" option, making sure to include all apps. No need to do anything different or crazy with the photos/camera roll.

2) Disconnect from/close iTunes

3) Erase All Content and Settings in the phone itself. This should only take a few minutes on a IP4.

4) Download and extract Absinthe 2.0.4

5) Run the absinthe.exe file and reconnect the phone via USB when prompted

6) Click "jailbreak" button

7) When jailbreak is done, press Cydia icon to load it, which will prepare the file system

8) Reconnect to iTunes, right click on my device, and choose "restore from backup"

9) Remove my phone and play around with Cydia, enjoying my new jailbreak

Do I have it? And I ready to go????

charisma7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Crap; I just realized I have one more question.

Let's say that further down the road, I decide I don't need my jailbreak and want to go ahead and updated to ios 6.x (or whatever happens to out by that time). Am I able to update the standard way (through Settings) or do I have to do some uber-technical things in order to update.

Like I said, that would be knowing I'd lose my jailbreak. I'm just curious if the update would go normally or if my phone would break.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
OTA (over the air=settings) updates don't work on jailbreaks

just normal upgrades work via itunes, safest route in that is a DFU-restore which is easy to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.