Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
For those who buy good quality jeans such as myself in the prices range of $150-$300. How do you go about washing them? or how many times do you wear your jeans before washing them?

Quite a few people told me that Denim is not like other fabrics, they hold little to no odor, its really hard to get them dirty unless you have a stain. And your supposed to wash them like once every 6 months or so to preserve fit and dye. In between that time if they do exhibit any type of order of funk lol just let them air out on a clothes line or spray some Febreeze and bam. no odor. and you sometimes put them in the freezer to kill any bacteria

So I thought about it and thought I would try this with 3 pairs of new jeans I bought in October. 2 pairs are Lucky Brand and the other is 7 by mankind (A pockets). So following the advice above, I try my best to wear them as much as I can. each pair has like 15-20+ wears to them and I just compared them to some jeans I bought in May that I wash like every 1-2 wears and the difference is night and day

The Jeans I haven't washed has fit and formed to the shape of my body and fits like a glove!!! not to mention they still look brand new with no discolor with the dye at all

While the ones that I did wash are either too tight or too loose and look worn as Hell. So it seems my peers were right about how to wear your jeans etc. but I'm still not too comfortable with not washing them. seems a bit dirty

opinons.. discuss

bigMAC28

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
Chicago
Quite a few people told me that Denim is not like other fabrics, they hold little to no odor, its really hard to get them dirty unless you have a stain.

Tell that to my Swass right now lol. In all seriousness though, I have 2 pairs of Dark wash jeans from American Eagle and I wash them every sunday. They hold up ok. But then again they are 50 dollar jeans and I could really care less because they are just jeans.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
All of my jeans are Diesel and they are pretty thick jean material. Some have very dark washes or particular washes that need to be protected. And yes, they don't get washed as often, but I wouldn't say 6 months. Maybe around 7-10 wears or sooner, depending on where they were worn.

Also, dry clean them. Never use regular washer and dryer.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have a pair of Lacoste for 4 years now. Wash and dry them regularly every week. They haven't lost their color and the denim hasn't become less strong or robust. I can't say the same for a pair of Levi's that are much newer and went the same treatment. (They ripped and the denim started to become thinner in leg area)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I prefer washing my clothes regularly, Jeans are made of cotton and they certainly do get "dirty" even if you don't see any stains. I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wear them max twice. Take off rebutton and pull inside out then wash. Simples

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I get mine dry cleaned. All of my 7s, Rocks, Diesel, etc........they get dry cleaned probably every 2 weeks and then I'll machine wash them like once every few months. Its not good in general for clothes to be machine washed every week. The only stuff I machine wash weekly are socks and underwear. tshirts, jeans, slacks, dress shirts, etc.......they all get dry cleaned.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I get mine dry cleaned. All of my 7s, Rocks, Diesel, etc........they get dry cleaned probably every 2 weeks and then I'll machine wash them like once every few months. Its not good in general for clothes to be machine washed every week. The only stuff I machine wash weekly are socks and underwear. tshirts, jeans, slacks, dress shirts, etc.......they all get dry cleaned.

The money you waste on dry cleaning you could put into new clothes lol

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
$150-$300 a pair? If you have that much money to waste on jeans you might as well just buy and wear a new pair each time.

You can easily find a very nice pair of jeans for 40 or 50 bucks.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
My jeans get gross after about three wears. The thought of six months makes me cringe.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
My jeans get gross after about three wears.

What do you mean by gross? Smell bad? Dirty? Do you shower/bathe? What activities are you doing that make them gross?

Other than the back of my jeans where They hit the ground, I could wear mine many times, and they don't look/smell like they've been worn.

Levis Strauss wants us to save water by not washing our blue jeans. They say jeans don’t need to be washed all that often.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Not that weird of an idea. Who washes their coats if ever?

I dry clean mine after the season it was designated for is over :)

----------

$150-$300 a pair? If you have that much money to waste on jeans you might as well just buy and wear a new pair each time.

Its all relative.......you can get a computer for a lot cheaper with the same internals, sometimes better than a Mac, but we choose to get a Mac. Personally I think cheap jeans are uncomfortable and don't fit as well. Also, all designer jeans you have to get altered on your own, so they really do fit and feel better.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia

Oh believe me!!! I said the samething at one point, but jeans at those price brackets are kinda cheap... I'm big and stocky and I ripped all my $60 and under jeans just getting out the car

There's a difference buying expensive jeans

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Oh believe me!!! I said the samething at one point, but jeans at those price brackets are kinda cheap... I'm big and stocky and I ripped all my $60 and under jeans just getting out the car

There's a difference buying expensive jeans

Might want work on your weight problem if you can rip $60 jeans. :rolleyes:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
At best, I wear them twice before washing. I also wash coats and hoodies fwiw.
I would rather buy jeans more often than to feel like I stink or something.

----------

Might want work on your weight problem if you can rip $60 jeans. :rolleyes:

I'm fat and I've never ripped my jeans. :(

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Not showing stains is not the same as clean. Think of all the bacteria on your jeans after 6 months of wear.

I read some ******** article online where they suggested to put jeans in the freezer to kill the germs every so often.

back on topic, I wash my jeans every few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.