Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Screw the naysaying. I like it. This clip has a fun, slightly exaggerated feel to it, something I'm sure the Aaron Sorkin version will lack in favor of god-awful melodrama and a cast of characters that are too intense and serious for their own damn good.

I was hoping this movie would have a bit of the Pirates of Silicon Valley feel to it. Judging by the clip, it looks like this one might.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Probably one of those cases where a foreign synchronization might be way better than the original...

That is, if they don't go with the default speakers for the actors involved, but go with people who actually sound like the originals...

That's the problem with those kinds of movies that picture real history...
You might get the looks of people right, but then finding people who look the same and SOUND the same, that's a whole other story... *sigh*

The scene was rather short and only really showed one emotional scene, hence not multiple moments of gestures and mimics, hence I'll reserve my judgment on the acting and the movie in general.

Waiting for a trailer now...

Glassed Silver:mac

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Maybe later...

I could imagine myself sitting through this movie if I am home sick with the flu and too out of it to change the channel if this comes on.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
They want me to pay to see this?!!!

Ughhhh, I'll wait until it is 'free' on CBS, ABC or something.

It was like watching Kutcher in any of his other works. Does he kind of pass for the look of Steve Jobs, sure, until he opens his mouth and says something. Then I can close my eyes and wonder if I'm watching 2 1/2 Men, The Guardian, That 70's Show, The Butterfly Effect, Dude, Where's My Car, etc....

Maybe they should have text message the script to the audience being the movie is about the life of a computer visionary.

Wonder what the carbon footprint it was to create this waste? Go Green Hollywood, make less trash!
/
/
/

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I lived in Frankfurt am Main for 10 years and never encountered a case where the synchronization was better than the original. Do you have an example?

Sarah Michelle Gellars real voice is horrible imo. not sure if u know who im talkin about. one of those rare cases where i prefer the dubbed voice

CoreForce

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
Zurich, Switzerland
Does he really say "Mainbrain" instead of "Mainframe".
They seem to characterize Jobs quite dull in terms of Computer Slang, like the "what is the system .. operating system", which is not really a true thing....

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Ashton has two types he plays the exact same way

Goofy/Quirky
Serious

There aren't many acting choices made as if he's in a drama he plays the same guy in each movie - just "serious ashton" vs in comedies "goofy/quirky ashton"

This is a role he really could have tried to delve into. I'll watch the movie - but I hope his performance involves some actual choices...

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
  1. No attempt to sound like Jobs
  2. Manerismns seem lacking
  3. The Wonzniac guy is a terrible actor and his voice is too high!

I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but this trailer has only turned me off.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
I'm actually a big Josh Gad fan. Saw him 3 times on Broadway and am happy for all the success he's having. That said, I don't think he's the right guy to cast as Woz. And don't let me get started on Kutcher. Seeing this clip made me very unexcited for the release of this film.

Tuck

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'll give it some credit.... Ashton Kutcher actually does get some of the mannerisms right. His arms flap down, back hunched, bangs on the top of the car.... but I feel like some of those came when he was much older. It's like he's playing the older Jobs in a younger body.

See Flat

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
As many have said... this seems so bad when compared to Pirates of Silicon Valley.

I cant believe this will be a theatre run. Will bomb if anyone sees trailers. Woz wasn't fat when he was young... Nor that short or Steve that tall?

woz2.jpg

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I lived in Frankfurt am Main for 10 years and never encountered a case where the synchronization was better than the original. Do you have an example?

IMHO, German synchronizations are generally pretty awesome for being synchronizations.

I can't tell you examples off the top of my head, but there are some. Surely not many, that's true.

Glassed Silver:mac

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Funny how many people say "that's not like Steve" when what they really mean is "that's not like Noah Wyle."

I didn't know Steve in private and I doubt many others here did either. But Wyle put such a mark on the role that I think all of us look to that as the "real Steve" even though that was just another actor's interpretation too.

So Kutcher is different than Wyle. Is either one more accurate than that other one?

Damned if I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.