Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTDamselMacnPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
here and there
I have decided to purchase an IPAD. I will be using it for reading, note taking and artwork. I know I do not need the cellular service since I have a DSL at home and when necessary I can always find a hotspot.
Should I get the 16, 32 or 64. I do want the ability to have some songs, photos and maybe a movie and possibly watch Netflix on it.
Thank you!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I never understood this question on any forum "tell me what I want"

Shouldn't you know what you want, why do people ask complete strangers to tell them what to do.

Buy the model that you can afford and the one that will fulfill your needs,

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I have decided to purchase an IPAD. I will be using it for reading, note taking and artwork. I know I do not need the cellular service since I have a DSL at home and when necessary I can always find a hotspot.
Should I get the 16, 32 or 64. I do want the ability to have some songs, photos and maybe a movie and possibly watch Netflix on it.
Thank you!

Netflix doesn't matter, but you need to figure out how many songs, pictures, books and movies you'll be stuffing on there. Personally, I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 32GB model.

The other thing you lose with the wifi only model is the GPS. Not sure if that's an issue for you or not.

Clint

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I went with a 32gig and I'm very glad I did. I don't have too much music, but I do like the option of storing videos and podcasts. Mostly I just have a ton of apps and I filled my ipad up pretty quickly with those. 16gigs may be too few and may severely hinder your flexibility and enjoyment of the device.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I bought a 16gb ipad 4 and regret it.

because once you put games and a few apps you are already around 10-12 GB. even though it says 16 its really 13.3 or close to that.

I can't even put a good movie like the dark knight (4-5 gb) on my ipad without deleting 2-3 major games or a lot of smaller apps.

I'd recommend 32 or 64 if you are going to put a lot of stuff on it.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Buy the model that you can afford and the one that will fulfill your needs,

Agreed. If you can afford the 32 or 64GB and think you NEED that amount of storage, pull the trigger on that! Personally, I have the 16GB and it is more than enough. I don't need to bring all my music, photos, and movies with me all the time.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
What's your budget? If you can afford it go with 32Gb. Great thing about these devices is you can swap and change content or just access the cloud or dropbox. If you think you're going to be a heavy user and you're OCD about what you have on the device, you might want to just get the 64Gb and therefore eliminate the possibility of regret later on.

I'm getting a 64Gb this weekend.

/dances jig

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
32gb is the sweet spot - so long as you are willing to delete movies and the like from it after you have watched them. I have a 64 GB and have to limit the amount I can put on...

CTDamselMacnPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
here and there
Everyone, Thank you for your replies.

@spooky23 Good for you! I have also decided on the 64GB

@saving107 I apologize; my thread title should have been which size do I need/require.:p

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
I've had 16GB iPhones forever and ended up upgrading to a 32GB 5 because 16 just wasn't enough to hold all of my music and apps. When I got my ipad mini I thought I'd need a 32Gb, but since I use my phone almost exclusively for music I think I might have gone overboard with a 32GB iPad. I have a ton of apps on it and so far haven't even broken 4GB of used storage.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
Personally i would middle ground it and got 32

i thought 16 would be enough but sometimes it just isn't in the long run

Prepare for the future unless you like to upgrade all the time and money is low!

:apple: Think Different

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I've had 16GB iPhones forever and ended up upgrading to a 32GB 5 because 16 just wasn't enough to hold all of my music and apps. When I got my ipad mini I thought I'd need a 32Gb, but since I use my phone almost exclusively for music I think I might have gone overboard with a 32GB iPad. I have a ton of apps on it and so far haven't even broken 4GB of used storage.

Yeah, I don't understand why people need the same content on two devices. I keep all my music and photos on my 32GB iPhone as well. The mini holds books, a couple videos and a ton of apps. 16GB works fine for me and I still have 4.5GB left to spare. I had a 32GB of each of the iPad 1, 2 and 3. It was nice having all that space, but this was back when I had a 16GB iPhone. It's more important that my iPhone have all that space since it's with me all the time.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
32gb is the sweet spot - so long as you are willing to delete movies and the like from it after you have watched them. I have a 64 GB and have to limit the amount I can put on...

Agreed that is how I did with my iPad. Also why put songs into iPad? that is too big to carry around? If you have a cell phone then put those songs there. :apple:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Agreed that is how I did with my iPad. Also why put songs into iPad? that is too big to carry around? If you have a cell phone then put those songs there. :apple:

Music is actually played more from my iPad mini than my iPhone. No, I don't put it on my shoulder like a boombox, but I do use it for AirPlaying music all over the house.

techstyle

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Bay Area
I just got a mini with cell and got a 16gb and so far I haven't used to much space. I stream music and rent videos . I mostly got it for school, it depends but I would get the 32gb if I was unsure. You always have 14 days to return it but if you have to ask on the GB just get a 64

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
op if u can afford a 64gb version than get it. I don't use all 64gb of any of my devices but I sure use over 32gb so I'm never in a situation where I have to delete data just to download more.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Depends what you do with an iPad. I do a lot with mine, for work and entertainment, and all sorts of other things, and GPS. Both are 64. with retina model I would consider 32 minimum.

Both are cellular too, on cheap prepaid ... $130 Australian for 15GB for 12 months. I have access to fast wifi for updating apps etc, but I like having the iPads always connected wherever I am, and having the GPS capability which you don't have with wifi-only.

It's hard to know before you get an iPad, how much you'll use it. Get 64 if you can afford it or 32 at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.