Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lookimpushingon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I apologize in advance for the total lack of savvy, but I've spent way too much time this morning trying to find a good external monitor to purchase, and am totally overwhelmed by the expansive options/recommendations/warnings.

I work in an office and am responsible for buying a monitor that a co-worker can use with her macbook air. It will be for very general every day office use, and all I need is a screen that will connect correctly and look halfway decent.

From what I can gather, I will want to purchase a monitor that has DVI input and purchase a Minidisplay port-to-DVI adapter.

It looks like the Dell UltraSharp U2412M is used by many macbook air users without any problem, but if at all possible, I need to find something cheaper (again, no frills needed, just need to be able to hook up macbook air to monitor without any major visual problems).

Would any cheaper monitors from this list in the closer-to-$200ish range work for just general office use with the mdp-DVI hookup?

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/1292115011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_e_1_3_last)

Anything around $200 would work, I just don't want to buy something from this list that will be incompatible, or look terrible, etc. I'm almost tempted to go with the dell just because I know it has worked for others, but if there's a cheaper option, I'd rather do that.

Thanks in advance

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I apologize in advance for the total lack of savvy, but I've spent way too much time this morning trying to find a good external monitor to purchase, and am totally overwhelmed by the expansive options/recommendations/warnings.

I work in an office and am responsible for buying a monitor that a co-worker can use with her macbook air. It will be for very general every day office use, and all I need is a screen that will connect correctly and look halfway decent.

From what I can gather, I will want to purchase a monitor that has DVI input and purchase a Minidisplay port-to-DVI adapter.

It looks like the Dell UltraSharp U2412M is used by many macbook air users without any problem, but if at all possible, I need to find something cheaper (again, no frills needed, just need to be able to hook up macbook air to monitor without any major visual problems).

Would any cheaper monitors from this list in the closer-to-$200ish range work for just general office use with the mdp-DVI hookup?

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/1292115011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_e_1_3_last)

Anything around $200 would work, I just don't want to buy something from this list that will be incompatible, or look terrible, etc. I'm almost tempted to go with the dell just because I know it has worked for others, but if there's a cheaper option, I'd rather do that.

Thanks in advance

Try the HP 2311xi (the IPS model). That's what I've got with my Mac Mini, and it's excellent. It's in your price range, has the DVI port, is 23" so good screen real estate, is anti-glare, and has great color reproduction.

Great with everything from word-processing to watching HD movies.

I got it at Best Buy fyi.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
The Dell S2440L is the budget version of the U2412M with the same great IPS panel in widescreen but it lacks the DisplayPort and the full-size aluminum stand, therefore you'll need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter - which is still less than $200 combined, though.
71Rxl2LaOOL._AA1500_.jpg
51Wny%2BoRt%2BL._AA1305_.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.