Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
So those who went from Mac to PC or simply no longer use OS X (or any other Mac OS) as their primary computer system what made you switch or change?

I ask because After about 7 years of owning Apple computers I'm selling off my 3.5 year old Macbook Pro and buying a Lenovo Thinkpad. I started getting more frustrated with incompatible programs, I started to feel limited in what I could do and run on OS X, and was getting tired of having to throw more money at the problem in terms of adapters, programs, etc. And to be honest a small part of me isn't really happy with where Apple seems to be going with their computer lines.

I really think OS X is decent but it's limited. I think the Macbook Pro trackpad is the industry's best trackpad bar none. I have a custom built gaming PC at home I made last summer and that's when I started to realize what I was missing out on. I also realized I was spending time and money trying to convert and export files to Windows for others, not being able to run programs, and just feeling like there was too compromise. And yes in a small way a feeling that the Apple ecosystem works great with itself, but not as great if you want to switch or use other systems.

All that said I still think Apple is a decent company. While a lot of their devices like the iPhone I find to be not for me, I see why for the average consumer it's a genius device. And I admit I'll miss the great looks and industrial design of Apple computers, but it just feels like it's compromising to stay with their computers. Maybe I'm a tweaker and a computer nerd at heart, and a PC just works better for me.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I am not planning on switching anytime soon, but I would switch if I felt Apple products dipped in quality or I wanted other things out of my machines they didn't offer. I don't have any real brand loyalty to them just for the sake of them being Apple, they just are the best products for me currently.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
I am not planning on switching anytime soon, but I would switch if I felt Apple products dipped in quality or I wanted other things out of my machines they didn't offer. I don't have any real brand loyalty to them just for the sake of them being Apple, they just are the best products for me currently.

That makes sense. I noticed in your signature you own a number of Apple products so I imagine the integration of iCloud and other features works well for you.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I think you will find a wide range of responses from:

I am not switching to I needed a "beefer" machine that could play the latest game at full resolution to I needed something more than what Apple is currently offering to, the lack of updates for the "pro" market I can't wait for Apple.

I know Apple is trying to make more headway into the gaming market but for now that market is pretty much dominated by windows machines and the lack of updates to the pro market stuff is frustrating a lot of people.

I haven't switched to using windows full time, however that is what my work uses. There is nothing I use at work that I can't use on my mac which is very nice for the time being. I can even connect it to our network. This wasn't the case a few years ago when all the company used for authoring documents was WordPerfect. That was a mess, we couldn't send these documents outside our own company let alone across different OS's because nobody we dealt with used WordPerfect. We have now since moved to MS Office products which is very nice.

The Mac is not a be all end all solution. As long as you are happy with your switch and your current work flow works that is really all that matters.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
That makes sense. I noticed in your signature you own a number of Apple products so I imagine the integration of iCloud and other features works well for you.

Yeah, the products definitely work for me. I just keep an HP around in case something does arise that I happen to need Windows for. Airplay is definitely a feature I like, all my products are all integrated with each other and I like that.

----------

I think you will find a wide range of responses from:

I am not switching to I needed a "beefer" machine that could play the latest game at full resolution to I needed something more than what Apple is currently offering to, the lack of updates for the "pro" market I can't wait for Apple.

I know Apple is trying to make more headway into the gaming market but for now that market is pretty much dominated by windows machines and the lack of updates to the pro market stuff is frustrating a lot of people.

I haven't switched to using windows full time, however that is what my work uses. There is nothing I use at work that I can't use on my mac which is very nice for the time being. I can even connect it to our network. This wasn't the case a few years ago when all the company used for authoring documents was WordPerfect. That was a mess, we couldn't send these documents outside our own company let alone across different OS's because nobody we dealt with used WordPerfect. We have now since moved to MS Office products which is very nice.

The Mac is not a be all end all solution. As long as you are happy with your switch and your current work flow works that is really all that matters.

Word Perfect???? When you said you have since moved to MS Office, did you mean 1996? :D

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Bang for buck could be another reason.

Lately, I've been spending more time on my Mac in Win XP at home and then use Win 7 at work than in OS X. Combine this with the fact that my laptop is approaching 6 years in age and that if I do replace it, I want the most bang for my buck, I almost certainly will not return to a Mac product.

Before my Mac, I had an HP laptop for 4.5 years and a Toshiba laptop for 1.5 years or so (only reason I had it so briefly was that I sold it to get the HP), so I have no concern switching OSes or manufacturers.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Call me crazy, but I use both. :eek:

Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

Lately, I've been spending more time on my Mac in Win XP at home and then use Win 7 at work than in OS X. Combine this with the fact that my laptop is approaching 6 years in age and that if I do replace it, I want the most bang for my buck, I almost certainly will not return to a Mac product.

Before my Mac, I had an HP laptop for 4.5 years and a Toshiba laptop for 1.5 years or so (only reason I had it so briefly was that I sold it to get the HP), so I have no concern switching OSes or manufacturers.

<nitpicking>

Mac is a product. Apple is the company.

</nitpicking>

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest

Ya, bang for the buck Apple products are definitely not great in that department.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Gaming is the reason I switched about fifteen years ago. Now that I don't do as much gaming on the computer, and that seen has gotten better for the Mac anyway, I plan on switching back.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
interesting, I just recently switched from my gaming machine (sold it) to a 13" MBP.

I guess a few of the biggest factors in this consideration was:

1. I should spend less time gaming, and spend time focusing on other things.
2. Wanted to simplify, could be moving out of the country and I can't take my beastly tower + 4 monitors with me.
3. Everything else I own is made by Apple, might as well go full in on the eco system.
4. Really got tired of updates/messing around with drivers/crashing (not to say my Mac doesn't crash, but it crashes about 5% as much as my PC)
5. The PC I built, while amazing for gaming was becoming a money sink. Always wanting the latest and greatest...haha.
6. I saw the future in Windows 8, and I did not like what I saw. This was the final straw.

I figured if I wanted to game, I'll game on the consoles. So far (about 2 months in) it is working out for me.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
I have half switched; adding a very capable Windows computer. I have a 2010 Mini which I like very much and still use but not too long ago I decided to build a very fast Windows computer for heavy cad/cam work, flight sim and some gaming. I use the Mini for all my email, browsing, music and photo but use the Windows computer for my other tasks. As for the Mac apps I use there aren't any Windows programs I like better. Also, On the flip side of your compatibility coin there are many Mac programs for which there simply no decent Windows alternatives that I (and other Mac users) prefer. Back to my initial point, I could have bought a Mac Pro and ran all the power software on it that I need to run but I wanted to build my own rig and configure it exactly as I wanted. Aside from updating it to Win8, with its completely disjointed UI, I like it a lot.

As for your experience, and the resulting switch, it seems like you are in the rationalizing stage and to what degree of external validation I haven't a clue. I see it in switchers in both directions. In closing I would encourage potential switchers, in either direction, to carefully consider as many aspects of the software and hardware as they reasonably can and make an informed decision as what is best for them. To rationalize blanket statements for all users is a waste of time for me.
:rolleyes:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Yeah, the products definitely work for me. I just keep an HP around in case something does arise that I happen to need Windows for. Airplay is definitely a feature I like, all my products are all integrated with each other and I like that.

----------

Word Perfect???? When you said you have since moved to MS Office, did you mean 1996? :D

WordPerfect is so 90s :p

It's still the best for legal work.

We actually still use it, it is just not our main staple anymore. Colourfastt pretty much nailed it, believe it or not there are actually still some legal companies that still use it and have no plans to move there legal work flow to MS Word.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For home use, I don't see myself switching to PC any time in the near future. And I have yet to run into anyone who likes Windows 8. Are you out there? :)

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
My goodness - WP was fighting off Word/Office in the mid-nineties in the legal area, I had figured that at some point in the last 20-odd years that it succumbed...

Apparently not!

20 years is a long time to fend off Microsoft.

rMBP15

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
I am planning to switch from my Sony Vaio S laptop to RMBP 15" this year because of the retina display and stunning design that the Macbook has.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I spend more time in Windows than OSX at the moment (Bootcamp), the tools I use for work are only available on Windows and then there's my game library.

Would I switch fully to PC? Possibly, but it would entirely depend on Apple's actions. If they take us down Casualised Interface Avenue and wall users in, then yeah I'm gone. Nothing keeps me tied to OSX other than how nice it works and how advanced it is.

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
Last year I built a hackintosh to dual boot Win7 and Lion. I've since upgraded to Mountain Lion on the Mac side, but have found myself mostly using Win7 on that machine. I use it primarily as a media recorder/server, and I feel that WMC offers a better solution for what I need than the OSX alternatives.

My work laptop and my personal laptop are both MacBooks (Pro and Air respectively) so I spend most of my time in Lion.

Win7 is a really nice OS though, and I feel no need to upgrade to Win8.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I've considered switching a few times and I still might a few years down the line. Right now I have a brand new MBP (non-retina) and I'm very happy with it, however with every new version of OS X Apple is making it more and more like iOS, and I friggin' hate iOS, and on the hardware front they're pushing more and more towards soldered RAM and SSDs in sealed up units which is ridiculous.

Apple makes beautiful hardware and OS X is a decent reliable operating system, but for a while now I've been considering switching to Linux just to break free of Apple's restrictions. I reckon in a few years time I might do my own build for a tower and install Mint, and if I like it enough I might get a Lenovo for my next laptop and use Mint on that as well.

I've already ditched my iPad for a Nexus 7, and in a few months I'll ditch my iPhone for a Galaxy S4. In a few years I may very well ditch OS X too. Certainly if Apple has made all their hardware sealed up with soldered RAM and SSDs by then I will not be buying another computer from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.