Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
No need unless something freezes. Like hard resetting a computer you dont do it unless you have no choice

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Sorry, but what exactly is a hard and soft reset?:confused:

I'm not sure what a soft reset is on an iOS device, but a hard one is just turning it completely off and then back on again, also known as a cold boot. A warm boot or maybe a soft reset would be pressing restart on a computer, but since iOS doesn't have a restart button, you can't do that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not sure what a soft reset is on an iOS device, but a hard one is just turning it completely off and then back on again, also known as a cold boot. A warm boot or maybe a soft reset would be pressing restart on a computer, but since iOS doesn't have a restart button, you can't do that.
Well, there's no restart button, but you can hold the sleep button and the home button together for a little bit (5-10 seconds) and that will restart the phone.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Pretty terrible? Fine, keep doing hard reboots. I'll let my Computer Science degree and 20+ years working as a programmer be my guide. But knock yourself out doing those hard reboots! :rolleyes:

Wow, you're so impressive :rolleyes: Instead of trying to humblebrag about your experience, why don't you inform me, and everyone else, why it's so bad to do a hard reset? Because it's pretty obvious I'm not the only one here who does it when the phone isn't operating correctly.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Of course. Just like it's quicker to pull the plug from the wall when you want to turn your computer off rather than waiting for a proper shutdown. But it's still a bad idea.
Resetting a computer doesn't involve pulling the plug from the wall, just like resetting an iPhone is not even close to being similar to pulling a plug from the wall. That said, even if you did pull a plug on today's computer to turn it off, it wouldn't be a bad idea per se--assuming you had what you needed saved already, nothing really bad would happen to your computer if you did that (even if you did that more than once here and there).

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
What do you think a normal reset is?

i would think a normal reset is just shutting down your phone using the power button and sliding to power off.

a hard reset is pressing the home and power button until it forcibly shuts down.

frankly im surprised this thread is still alive. the only reason anyone would want to "hard reset" their phone is when it completely freezes - it is not the finest feature on the iphone that you would want to use often.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i would think a normal reset is just shutting down your phone using the power button and sliding to power off.

a hard reset is pressing the home and power button until it forcibly shuts down.

frankly im surprised this thread is still alive. the only reason anyone would want to "hard reset" their phone is when it completely freezes - it is not the finest feature on the iphone that you would want to use often.
Why is that?

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
Why is that?

oh i'm sorry, my bad - it is in fact a stellar feature.

i was just watching the iPhone 5 presentation in youtube and i had to bite my tongue when Cook said:

"iPhone 5 is the best iPhone yet, completely redesigned and you'll just love that we have kept the hard reset system in place."

He then goes on to demonstrate how to hard reset whilst the audience contemplates in awe.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hold down the button on the top of the phone. When it says 'Slide to power off,' slide the red slider.
I guess that can be seen as more of a "shut down" feature (since the phone doesn't turn back on as most would expect with a reset/restart/reboot).

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Wow, you're so impressive :rolleyes: Instead of trying to humblebrag about your experience, why don't you inform me, and everyone else, why it's so bad to do a hard reset? Because it's pretty obvious I'm not the only one here who does it when the phone isn't operating correctly.

I tried to. You replied that I made a horrible comparison. So do whatever the hell you want to. I'm out.

----------

Resetting a computer doesn't involve pulling the plug from the wall, just like resetting an iPhone is not even close to being similar to pulling a plug from the wall. That said, even if you did pull a plug on today's computer to turn it off, it wouldn't be a bad idea per se--assuming you had what you needed saved already, nothing really bad would happen to your computer if you did that (even if you did that more than once here and there).

That's the worst idea I've heard all week. You're honestly saying there's no harm in pulling the cord as long as your document is saved? :eek:

You're not the only user on the system. The operating system and other background processes very frequently write to the hard drive. If you pull the plug during that period, you'll eventually get bitten. Same goes for the iPhone (per a Genius associate if that matters at all to you).

Please don't tell people it's ok to power down a computer by pulling it's power source. That's a really, really, really bad idea.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Per a Genius Associate. That's grand. They are all so knowledgeable and go through such extensive training.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I really only do a hard reset if the software isn't working properly, or if an app detects no data connection (ie. Facebook). Other than that, I really don't do a hard reset unless otherwise necessary.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I tried to. You replied that I made a horrible comparison. So do whatever the hell you want to. I'm out.

----------

That's the worst idea I've heard all week. You're honestly saying there's no harm in pulling the cord as long as your document is saved? :eek:

You're not the only user on the system. The operating system and other background processes very frequently write to the hard drive. If you pull the plug during that period, you'll eventually get bitten. Same goes for the iPhone (per a Genius associate if that matters at all to you).

Please don't tell people it's ok to power down a computer by pulling it's power source. That's a really, really, really bad idea.
You might get bitten by something not being saved if some background process is doing something or something being off...yes, that can happen, possibly sometimes...for the most part on todays computers you can generally be just fine if something like that happens. So, should you just turn off your computer by pulling the power cord, of course not, but if you did do it for some reason, would it be a huge deal, for the most part, no, it most likely wouldn't be. So, it's definitely not a good idea, and maybe even somewhat of a bad idea, but certainly not something that's a really bad idea, let alone a "really, really, really bad idea".

That said, again, pulling the power cord isn't exactly the same as using the reset button/feature that most computers have, which would be much more analogous to using a reset feature on a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.