Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloutiere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Alpharetta, GA
Did my homework and read other forums, so I've got the screen shot other experts asked users to post.
iMac 21.5
Safari will quit unexpectedly, very slow moving, store all pics and video's on 1T backup hard drive, so I'm thinking there is no reason for a slow computer? #dumbnovicemacmom :)
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 1.45.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 1.45.56 PM.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 199

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Did my homework and read other forums, so I've got the screen shot other experts asked users to post.
iMac 21.5
Safari will quit unexpectedly, very slow moving, store all pics and video's on 1T backup hard drive, so I'm thinking there is no reason for a slow computer? #dumbnovicemacmom :)
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
When is the last time you restarted your Mac?

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If you're still having performance issues, post a shot of the Activity Monitor with it sorted by the "Real Mem" column with the highest usage at the top.

The bottom of the screen shot says you are using 10 GB of swap space. If the system hasn't been up for a long time or this performance issue occurs within a couple of days of rebooting, it may mean you need more RAM unless there is something else causing the issue.

However restarting your Mac is most probably the first thing to try.

cloutiere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Alpharetta, GA
Just typed a forever long appreciative THANK YOU (it was quite an entertaining read really), however attempting to attach 2 screen shots, to my horror... "safari just quit unexpectedly". UGH!
No fluff... just
screen shot 1: per request sorted by RealMem
screen shot 2: "about this Mac"

To answer a helpful problem solver'l question... I have been using Apple starting w/ iphone 2... then a few years later invested in my first desktop (computer in question - only 4 years old), then a couple iPads (me&hubby), then a MacBookPro.

Too many devices for a family of 4 :(, but LOVE apple products!

I have 3 months left on my warrantee w/ this desk top... I think I will try a few of your suggestions, then call.. and finally hopefully bring it in for them to look at.

:confused:

I think I will submit this reply, THEN submit some attachments... here goes...

cloutiere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Alpharetta, GA
Attachments...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 8.27.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 8.27.13 AM.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 8.20.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 8.20.34 AM.png
    249.1 KB · Views: 111

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Attachments...

You just rebooted and kernel_task is using 5.42 GB? Something seems very wrong to me.

[EDIT] OK, you haven't rebooted between the two screenshots.

Please restart your computer and then repost an Activity Monitor screenshot.

Shane1905

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
UK
That's ok. We're all here to help each other :) I knew absolutely nothing about macs this time last year but this place has been amazing.
I believe this is the ram for your iMac

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/appl...6GHz+Intel+Core+2+Duo+(24-inch)-upgrades.html

Double check I got the specs right before you decide on what to do and I'm pretty sure you can only play a total of 16gb in yours, so another 8gb would bring you to that.

Here is how you upgrade

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423#2

I'm still think there is an underlying reason why kernal_task is using so much of your current ram, but a ram upgrade is the cheapest and easiest thing you can do to make you mac or pc faster.

Good luck and i hope this helps you

----------

Me again, I've just noticed that inkjet8 seems to be using a fair bit and could be influencing kernal_task, try unplugging your printer from your mac and see if it lowers.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
After a reboot :)
A bit better!
Do I still need more ram?
To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Was the initial screen shot taken when you had Parallels, VMware, or somesuch running? With a large amount of hardwired RAM, that's an indication. If you are running those, try dialing back the memory requirements. Or, as suggested, buy more memory if you can -- it's relatively cheap these days.

cloutiere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Alpharetta, GA
Ahhhh, but wait!
I shut the iMac down and restarted. One day later, 8 items open (I think that chugs speeds a bit?) I am back to a sluggish computer.
Here is an updated pic

UUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-26 at 3.22.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-26 at 3.22.36 PM.png
    296.4 KB · Views: 80

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ahhhh, but wait!
I shut the iMac down and restarted. One day later, 8 items open (I think that chugs speeds a bit?) I am back to a sluggish computer.
Here is an updated pic
Your printer software appears to be consuming an unusual amount of RAM. You might try uninstalling it completely, unless it provides functionality you need, in which case, uninstalling and reinstalling it.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Ahhhh, but wait!
Here is an updated pic

UUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!

Definitely remove your printer software. 4.5gb for what should be an idle process most of the time? That's your culprit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.