Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

attlogo375wide-150x72.jpg
AT&T has released its holiday quarter earnings data, reporting that it sold a record 10.2 million smartphones -- 8.6 million of those (84%) being iPhones. AT&T reported earlier this month that the quarter was its best ever for iPhone sales. 16% of the iPhones were on accounts new to the company.

During the same holiday quarter, Verizon activated 6.2 million iPhones, some two-thirds of its total smartphone sale. AT&T's previous best quarter was 2011's fourth quarter, when it activated a total of 9.4 million smartphones and 7.6 million iPhones -- an 80% share for the Apple device.

On Twitter, Apple watcher Sammy the Walrus calculated that 74% of smartphones sold by AT&T and Verizon were iPhones, giving the device an "iPod-like share".

Update: AT&T has reached out to us to note that the 8.6 million iPhone number is activations, while the 10.2 million smartphone sales number is sales. This means the iPhone probably doesn't make up exactly 84% of smartphone sales, but it should be in the right ballpark. The activations number includes hand-me-down iPhones and the like.

Article Link: AT&T Activates 8.6 Million iPhones in Q4 2012, Device Accounts for Some 84% of Smartphone Sales

abhishake

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2005
And so many of those were iPhone 4s. It's remarkable.

The people have spoken, we need a larger form factor as well.

max pl

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
how do they have 74% of the activations when marketshare is more like 50-50 compared to android?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

ok so its pretty clear the iphone is still killing it but the question then is, with all these sales in the US, and huge growth in China, yet flat revenue year over year how can Apple get their margins back up to previous levels with all the competition from low cost, low margin android handsets and maintain their sales percentage. With only 16% going to new subscribers it seems like the market has become pretty saturated in the USA with many who want a smartphone already having one. Apple is very well positioned to blow up in China so that will be great for years to come but I think Apple will need to come out with a new service that adds revenue from existing iphone users once new smartphone sales stagnate

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And so many of those were iPhone 4s. It's remarkable.

The people have spoken, we need a larger form factor as well.
Amazing how well the 4 and 4S are doing when we're told day after day people want bigger screen sizes. :p

max pl

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Andriod and Iphones are sold outside of the US as well. ;)

but isnt the split 50-50 in the US and much higher for android worldwide?

unless that 74% number was for the holiday quarter only which may make sense.

edit: yeh i guess its last quarter only.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I am not following — are activations different from sales for the iPhone?

Even if not, I think its safe to assume that activations number is actually less than real sales given that some people may not activate their phones straight away or something of that sort?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
but isnt the split 50-50 in the US and much higher for android worldwide?

unless that 74% number was for the holiday quarter only which may make sense.

edit: yeh i guess its last quarter only.

More like 51% Apple, 44% Android, scraps - everyone else.

Apple is gaining in China though - something like 20% last I heard - I know Android still dominates with 70% there, but Apple is making strides....the lull is simply that - a lull. Expect big things out of the smartphone industry in 2013, Apple included!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
how do they have 74% of the activations when marketshare is more like 50-50 compared to android?

This is for one carrier in one country. There are many other carriers in many other countries where the distribution isn't so heavily in favor of the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.