Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Yeah, running Leopard, latest version of Mactubes, latest TenFourFox with all plugins disabled and Java.Flash removed. G5 CPU, plenty of power.

Anyways, Mactubes has for the last few months been intermittently giving me 403 errors and downloading errors. Rarely I can actually watch something.

Not acceptable anymore, can anybody recommend an application, service, or browser addon to download video files from Youtube? (that are not in a Flash format)

<3

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No recommendations, but I found two apps to try.

YouView is like Mactubes.

TubeTV is actually a browser for Youtube. You put the URL you want in the browser and the app converts it to something you can view in iTunes. That makes it also usable in your iDevice.

Never really used these, just found them via Google so YMMV.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
No recommendations, but I found two apps to try.

YouView is like Mactubes.

TubeTV is actually a browser for Youtube. You put the URL you want in the browser and the app converts it to something you can view in iTunes. That makes it also usable in your iDevice.

Never really used these, just found them via Google so YMMV.

I am blocked on visiting the YouView website:
Windows is blocked on this site due to spam occuring [...] I do not sell things to windows based users so I do not see a reason to allow it.
What BS. I think I'll give it a miss!

Falstaff

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
Arizona
I am blocked on visiting the YouView website:

What BS. I think I'll give it a miss!

Too bad. Youview plaws videos well on all the way down to my 1Mac g4 800. Why not just turn off whatever feature in your browser that is causing the issue? Or try another browser?

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Too bad. Youview plaws videos well on all the way down to my 1Mac g4 800. Why not just turn off whatever feature in your browser that is causing the issue? Or try another browser?

MacTubes is working fine for me, I was just checking it out. I detest his elitist attitude, I mean why on earth would you block off your entire site based solely on the fact that someone is using an OS that you personally don't like?!!

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
You are almost certainly not using the latest version of Mactubes if you are getting multiple 403 errors. Youtube updates all the time. Download the very latest version and I predict all will be good again, I have no issues with Mactubes. 480p works perfect on a POS ibook, and that G5 is ten times the computer my ibook is. Unless you are behind some werid firewall or VPN or something.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
You are almost certainly not using the latest version of Mactubes if you are getting multiple 403 errors.

This issue has arised many times (I don't have time to find the other threads but they exist) and it has nothing to do with Mactubes different versions, it's YouTube's "fault". I had this problem a few months ago, tried all available versions of Mactubes, from the oldest to the newest with no change what so ever. I waited it out and now it just works again - whithout updating or anything. :)

MacinDan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I heard somewhere, maybe on these boards, that Youtube will block your IP address unless you periodically log in to their site. That sounds a bit far-fetched, but it's something to try.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Update how, exactly? The error arises in all versions from time to time and can resolve itself without update (I've seen it happen). :)

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
From time to time YouTube changes and MacTubes gets broken, but the developer fixes it quite rapidly. You will only have to install the latest version.

But don't forget to select Quicktime Format in the preference pane! Works a lot better than Flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.