Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Hello

I have a new 27inch monitor arriving soon.

I can not get a conclusive answer on it.

Dell inform the mini display port on the back of the monitor is the latest version but I am wondering about how i connect it to the thunderbolt port on the rMBP or MBA? Shall i just buy a thunderbolt cable or or mDP cable?

Not sure which way to go.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Hello

I have a new 27inch monitor arriving soon.

I can not get a conclusive answer on it.

Dell inform the mini display port on the back of the monitor is the latest version but I am wondering about how i connect it to the thunderbolt port on the rMBP or MBA? Shall i just buy a thunderbolt cable or or mDP cable?

Not sure which way to go.

If the display is only a DisplayPort display (no Thunderbolt at all,) then use just a DisplayPort cable.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Thats the issue

the display port will be used by my mac pro on a mini display port to display port.

That only leaves DVI or MDP in.

So do i get a thunderbolt cable or mini display port cable

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Thats the issue

the display port will be used by my mac pro on a mini display port to display port.

That only leaves DVI or MDP in.

So do i get a thunderbolt cable or mini display port cable

if you are using the mini display port on your monitor for a different computer, you will have to use another input, what does thunderbolt have to do with any of this?

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Ok:

Mac Pro is linked via mDP to DP.

So laptops can only go thunderbolt to Mini DisplayPort

I am asking what cable I need to get? Thunderbolt cable or just a mini display port cable. I only have thunderbolt on laptops and due to size of monitor HDMI etc wont drive up to the resoruon I want.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Ok:

Mac Pro is linked via mDP to DP.

So laptops can only go thunderbolt to Mini DisplayPort

I am asking what cable I need to get? Thunderbolt cable or just a mini display port cable. I only have thunderbolt on laptops and due to size of monitor HDMI etc wont drive up to the resoruon I want.

If you are connecting a display that has an mDP connector, to a laptop that has a Thunderbolt connector, you only need an inexpensive mDP to mDP cable. You don't need a Thunderbolt cable.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Out of curiosity could I use a thunderbolt cable?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Out of curiosity could I use a thunderbolt cable?

No idea, but why would you want to spend $40 when you could spend $5?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024602&p_id=5991&seq=1&format=2

Obviously this is if your are in the US. But the same should be true for just about any country. Why buy an expensive cable with active signal processors when all you need is a "dumb" cable....

By the way, thanks for pointing out the Dell has both a Displayport and a Mini-displayport. I might really have to consider a couple of these going forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.